Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

We love blueberries.  We love them so much that we purchase them all year around when we find them. When summer brings us local berries, we keep them in a bowl on the kitchen counter so as to grab a handful in passing.  We put them on oatmeal and cereal.  There are cobblers to make.  Clafoutis too.  Today, when I pulled out my "blueberry file", this recipe fell out.  It said "make me" and I did.

I found the recipe for these muffins in the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook a long time ago.  I still have the cookbook but think I copied the recipe onto a recipe card because I'd made a number of changes to the original.  



Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins from The Silver Palate and Me

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 cups fresh blueberries

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2.  Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
3.  Stir the buttermilk, butter, egg and lemon zest together.
4.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the liquid ingredients in.
5.  Stir just until combined.  Fold in the blueberries until just combined.
6.  Fill each muffin cup with the batter.
7.  Bake until golden and firm to the touch--20 to 25 minutes.

ENJOY!

24 comments:

  1. Nothing beat a good blueberry muffin; this recipe sounds and looks like a must try.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put blueberries in and on everything too when they are local (and sometimes when they're not). Love your blueberry muffins. Last week for breakfast I put blueberries in cornmeal pancakes and boy where they good.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our favorite's on Loblolly, I keep gallons on hand in the freeze.
    I'll be trying this recipe,thanks for sharing.
    I whipped up some melt-in-your-mouth cookies.
    I'm just staying in the kitchen entirely to much.
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell them from here.....Brew up some coffee, I will be right there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! Blueberries are Little Man's favorite fruit... well, almost favorite ANYTHING. blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try some cornmeal from War Eagle -- and this will be a reason to. They look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Local blueberries are just starting to appear at the farmers' market. Love a muffin for breakfast with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just smell them coming straight out of the oven. Pure goodness! Wish I had one right now

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blueberries are great this year. I like the cornmeal with the blueberries. Sounds wonderful! I will be trying this recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are the prettiest cup cake papers i have seen. love blueberry cobbler and muffins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful! I also love blueberries. I put them in my breakfast smoothie everyday.

    Think I will go make some muffins - yum =>

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm actually looking more at those way cool double muffin cups!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was JUST looking for a good blueberry muffin recipe! This looks great. Love the addition of cornmeal!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Bonnie. Blueberries are so good for us... Great recipe. Thanks.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never thought of blueberries in corn muffins! We're partial to blueberries for more than taste and health reasons---our nephew makes his living growing them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cornmeal, these sound great! Cute cupcake papers:@)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These really sound delicious. I love that cookbook and the gals rarely disappointed me. It is really hard to beat a blueberry muffin in the morning. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blueberry muffins are my absolute favorite kind of muffin. LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!

    If I left blueberries in a bowl on the counter, I think they would be inhaled in less than 10 minutes. Your family must be a bit more disciplined than mine.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the idea of cornmeal in the blueberry muffin!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you cupcake covers too as a bonus..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I wish I was there! I love love blubery muffins. Especially warm ones with butter on them. :)

    Enjoy.

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do most muffins use cornmeal? I'm so baking-deficient...I have no idea. It sounds like a great addition if its not normal :) Kind of like the jiffy muffins! Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm about to eat some really tasty blueberries. Thank you for sharing this delightful muffin with me, my friend. I'm on the way to Maine, and visiting your blog is making my plane flight a lot more enjoyable. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.