Monday, July 18, 2011

Green Bean and Tomato Salad

It is hot!  Too hot!  Around these parts, we are fortunate that when it becomes too hot to cook there's usually a weekend festival where delicious ethic food can be purchased.  While mixing and mingling is always good fun, pickup seemed the best idea on the hottest weekend we've had this year.  

The Serbian Festival was in full swing this weekend and Andrew braved the weather to pick up a mixed grill of lamb, pork and cevapcici (tasty little ground meat sticks).  

Since I'd picked up fresh green beans and a mix of cherry tomatoes (alas, no heirlooms yet) at Saturday's market, I decided to put them all into a salad.  Here's the simple and delicious recipe.


Marinated Green Been and Tomato Salad

1 pound green beans
A cupful, or so, of mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
2 scallions, thinly sliced to include some of the green
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Steam the beans until crisp tender, three to five minutes.
Drain the beans, add the tomatoes and immediately toss with the olive oil--just enough to coat.
Sprinkle on a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Add the zest.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Allow the salad to sit, uncovered, until cool.  Refrigerate for a few hours.
Serve cold or at room temperature.

To quote Ina Garten:  "How easy is that?"

ENJOY

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful and healthy and fresh inspiration, Bonnie!! PLUS, a cool enough one that I am happy to make it right now! blessings ~ tanna
    PS any definite dates yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh vegetable salads -- and I will have to try this one AFTER I get some green beans at the Farmer's Market-- alas, we have no heirlooms either but we do have some nice tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks like perfection- summer perfection. I love this salad. What a great way to use the best summer veggies I think! It looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS hot! And you found the perfect solution. A beautiful salad. My own tomatoes have yet to ripen; I don't know if I can be patient much longer. May have to make a trip to the farmers market this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this one, i the non cook can do and will. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect salad for a hot summer weekend. We have had nothing but rain for the past week. Crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH this looks so good. I haven't had a home grown tomato all summer! I think the entire country is HOT>

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sure does look refreshing and lightweight on the tummy. On these hot days eating light is best. Thanks for the menu idea.
    Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good! I always use vinegar, think I should try lemon next time:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow how I have missed you and your awesome recipes. I am off now to show this one to my daughter Christi. She has been with me now for a little while and leaves next month so I will miss her cooking. lol
    Hope you have a great week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum... That looks delicious --on a hot, summer day, Bonnie... Thanks for the recipe...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, great recipe for the hot weather. It's supposed to be hot here this week so I will keep this one, and your last recipe, in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is easy and sure looks good; perfect summer treat.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a wonderful veggie salad idea. I have lots of cherry tomatoes growing and turning red so I'll be making this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds delish--we have these coming out our ears right now.
    This would work well this eeek since it is so hot here.

    Yum.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful colors! I think you did well despite no heirlooms ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dish for this hot summer weather! I have the fresh beans and the tomatoes and also the heat. This will make a lovely lunch tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious.

    How are you holding up in all this heat?

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds delicious! I love salads.

    Cheers,
    Yas
    www.tickle-your-tastebuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a colorful and decadent salad!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog has a new, fresh look! Very cool and professional looking. It's not the recipe I'm looking at, it's the bottles with the flowers in them! They perfectly match the bottles, it looks like in an Italian restaurant! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank goodness for those fabulous summer food festivals! This salad sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so light and fresh. We just had tomato salad with dinner, the green beans would have been a nice addition too. next time...

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.