Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Note on La Note

I feel I owe it to you, my friends, to fill you in on our eating adventures in California.  We were able to cross off a few restaurants on our list that were new to us.  La Note, in downtown Berkeley, has been on the list for a few years.  It was time to check it out.

The day was California perfect.  Sun dappled sidewalks.  A slight warm breeze riffling leaves on trees.  Brilliant orange, red and magenta bougainvillea draped over doorways and gateways.  Colorful flowers cascaded from planters.  



La Note is a bit of Provence deposited in an 1875 storefront in the heart of downtown Berkeley.  One steps inside on well-worn hardwood floors.  The front door was open and a cool breeze wafted through the room.  Lovely aromas wafted from the kitchen.



We both started with a bowl of tomato soup.  It was slightly garlicky and slightly creamy.  The toasted crouton was topped with a generous portion of parmesan and sprinkled with chopped parsley.  I have a goal to try and reproduce it for our table.


We shared a charcuterie and cheese platter that was pretty much perfection.  The plate was filled with a creamy pate, garlicky sausage, French ham, cornichon, a lovely brie, St. Andre triple cream cheese, and two others I cannot name.  A perfectly ripened pear and grapes were alongside.  A crusty loaf and a jar of mustard made us happy munchers.


An open window to the street.


La Note will remain on our list of places to dine next time.

20 comments:

  1. i love the view out the window photo. it looks like a place i would love to see,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now really can see why you chose this name for your blog. This was so well described that I could have been there and tasted that brie and cornichon. Great photos; really enjoy reading you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that restaurant looks amazing. So quaint and pretty! Great photos and you make us feel like we were there right with you! Thanks girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice ....looks great!nice shots

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! I love places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks delicious! and the place looks nice--you photographed it well. Say, I did look up human hair and deer just be sure I was right, and it also mentioned rabbits at being "turned away" by human hair, so bring your clippings home and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful lunch. The soup looks extraordinary and I'll be anxiously waiting to see your version of it. Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful place to stop for lunch! Have fun with the soup:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bowl of tomato soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so yummy and pretty. I can't wait to see your replicated tomato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no doubt that your version will be better than theirs, so we won't be missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, You follow restaurant possibilities ---like I follow waterfalls!!!!!! ha.... We all have our different interests, don't we?

    That tomato soup does sound good---especially on a cool, fall evening sometime....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie,
    The soup looks divine...I love tomato soup but don't or haven't found a great recipe; do you have one! and willing to share?
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am simply drooling!! Sounds perfect! I am adding it to my "list" should I get back to SF! All my travel time seems to be east nowadays! LOL!

    The boys are doing great. Little Man is adjusting to sharing his throne with the Littler Man. LOL! I don't know when they will make it to Texas again. =( I am still plotting on a fall visit. ;) We will have to co-ordinate. Thank you so much for asking. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely place! I love cheese and charcuterie platters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice place!! love pics! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Smile. I love the decor, and I love the look of that soup! Thank you for sharing your sweet self with me today. I'm smiling (and I'm hungry now!) I need to read your blog after I've had dinner :-) I hope you have a fabulous end to your week. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great place and your pictures are wonderful. Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That tomato soup..Great idea w/ the topping!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.