Thursday, July 28, 2011

Olive Savory Bread

Three friends and I are doing a bridal shower on Saturday.  Another dear friend's son is getting married in September and we wanted to fete the young couple with good food and some gifts to get them off to a good start.  I'll be taking my camera along to hopefully share the good time with all of you next week.  I'll also be sharing the recipes that I prepare for the luncheon.

The weather will be hot when we gather at Diamond Farm for the luncheon so we decided that salads and quick breads would be welcomed by our guests.  I wanted to make a savory quick bread in addition to a few sweet ones.  When I Googled savory quick bread, the first site to pop up was my friend Mary's  One Perfect Bite.  I headed right over and found this delicious looking treat.

In reading over the recipe, I was a bit astounded to find that it called for six large eggs.  Let me assure you that I should never doubt Mary.  She has never let me down and this bread was no exception.  Filled with olives, red pepper, basil and more, it is delicious!  I'm going to include the recipe since I had trouble linking directly to the recipe.


Olive Bread from Mary at One Perfect Bite and Susan Hermann Loomis

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 large roasted red pepper, jarred is fine (I used jarred)
1 cup pitted Greek-style black olives, coarsely chopped
4 cups loosely packed fresh basil then mince
6 large eggs (that is correct--six)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Liberally grease and flour a 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inch loaf pan.
2.  Sift flour, salt and baking powder together onto a piece of waxed paper and set aside.
3.  Place eggs in a large bowl and whisk.  Add oil, basil and garlic and whisk until combined.  Stir in the flour and whisk until just combined.  Add pepper and cheese.  Fold in the olives and roasted red pepper. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
4.  Bake in center of oven until golden, about 45 minutes.  Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Turn onto a wire rack and cool completely.  Yield 1 loaf.

ENJOY!

24 comments:

  1. I love a good savoury loaf especially one as full of flavour as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie this sound like a great recipe! I'm bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this does sound good and I have the basil in the garden! Enjoy the party, sounds like fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hosting a "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" for my soon to be 5yo granddaughter this weekend. I think this sounds like a good compliment to the meal. Thanks and have fun at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, that loaf is beautiful!! I know that shower is going to be amazing. I'd sure like to be tasting from the tables there.

    I love Mary's recipes. I've never been disappointed in a single one. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. With 6 eggs that sounds like the start of a pound cake.

    This do sound yummy especially the olives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!...I'll take a BIG slice!
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love all things bread and this one looks and sounds wonderful. have fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This will be a perfect treat to take to one of my upcoming teachers' meetings or work days coming up. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this looks amazing. I will be making this sometime this weekend. I am a fan of Mary's as well but must have missed this one. I too have never been disappointed in any recipe that I have tried of Mary's. Always excellent. Thanks for sharing this.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the shout out. Susan created a truly wonderful bread. I just spread the word. Have a wonderful day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarking me too! Sounds like a great bread to pull out and share with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great bread...
    www.savitharajsspiceland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is lovely! Can't wait to see what else you make. And the pictures from Saturday. We are in another heat wave here and it is to be 98 tomorrow. Love your new header!!! Pansies? One year for my birthday, my DIL sugared her pansies and put them on a birthday cake she had made for me, they were very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. J'aime beaucoup et le goût est très bon:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know why you are baking too :)

    I love the sound of this olive bread and how smart of you to include some savory breads for the shower. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this sounds so good! I might have to give this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary always comes through because her socks go up and down! Anxious too hear about all the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had my full attention with the word "olive". This is a must try for this olive lover! ;) Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary is a darling. How fun to use one of her recipes.

    I don't read too many food blogs, but I love yours and I love Marys.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm but that looks good. I love olive bread with a glass of wine and some crudites on a summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Girl, this looks divine. I am going to have to try this this weekend.thanks for sharing!

    Have a good weekend!

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look delicious! Olives are almost my favorite thing in the world.
    I love your blog!

    I am new to blogging and trying to reach 25 followers-- check out my site and click "follow me"!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.