Wednesday, July 27, 2011

White Bean Hummus

Many of you know that I was born and raised in the mid-south.  Virginia.  My mother was a good cook. My grandmother was a good baker.  They worked harmoniously together.  Neither were particularly adventuresome in the kitchen.  Our meals consisted of pork roasts, pork chops, beef roast, boiled beef, chicken and dumplings and, of course, the best fried chicken ever to hit a cast iron skillet.  We dined on many vegetables.  We never ate rice except for the occasional rice pudding.  I never tasted grits until I was an adult!!  Nanny provided devil's food cake, angel food cake (they sort of balanced each other out), heavy and delicious pound cakes, and pies.

It wasn't until one of my sisters left for the Washington Hospital Center in D.C. to do an internship in medical technology that we began to become more eclectic in our eating habits.  It was there that she met a young surgical resident from the Middle East.  That was thirty plus years ago.  She dedicated herself to raising four wonderful children.  He became a successful surgeon and an amazing cook.  My sister was happy to turn over a good deal of the food preparation to him and he took to it like--well, like a surgeon to a scalpel!!  We've enjoyed many meals prepared by F.  It's a delight to watch him prepare dishes.  His knife skills are amazing--sorry, just couldn't resist.

Today's post, while not his recipe, is dedicated to him.  I'm hoping it will get me an invitation to Florida soon.



White Bean Hummus 


2 cups white Navy Beans or Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp tahini paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 large garlic cloves
Salt to taste
Olive oil from sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil

1.  In the bowl of a food processor, process the beans until almost smooth.
2.  Add the rest of the ingredients except for the sun-dried tomato oil.
3.  Process until smooth.
4.  Thin with water if necessary.
5.  Drizzle with the tomato olive oil and serve with pita toasts and crudites.

ENJOY!

31 comments:

  1. I've never done hummus with white beans but may have to try it -- your recipe looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I love things made from beans:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime a man gets in the kitchen its always special as they take such care in what they are cooking and even better when they serve it as well. Looks like your family has some awesome male cooks.

    Are you staying cool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, this was so much fun to read! Loved hearing more about your dear family. And, the recipe was a wonderful bonus! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. i grew up in the south, GA and KY and we ate the same thing you did, but add grits and rice daily. it was a rare day that we did not have rice on the table, even when we had potatoes. daddy grew our food, all of it and mother canned it and she bought very large bags of rice, it was the staple of the south. no fancy food for us but it was all fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!

    I actually have no idea what a hummus is. But I like the little history you provided here about your family's love affair with food.

    I would have gotten fat in your family instead of looking like I'm made up of bones. My Mom doesn't really cook food for us. Just twice in a week.

    I eat outside instead. Especially buffets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love me some hummus and white bean hummus is amazing. Love your version and since we have hummus and crackers like every night while dinner is cooking then I will most certainly be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watch for that invitation to Florida for some more amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds cutting edge - sorry I couldn't resist. It really is a lovely recipe and I can't wait to give it a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love, hummus! Sounds great! Being a southern girl, I loved reading about your southern culinary heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. White bean hummus sounds amazing!!! Hope you get to go to Florida soon. I lived there for 20 years, I like to say its a nice place to visit... But, I love the southwest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I loved your play on words this morning. (chuckle) The hummus looks very nice...just waiting for me to taste it (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I hope he gets the hint and you get a trip to Florida soon :) Great hummus recipe, my hubby will adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love hummus in our house and are always looking for a new recipe for it. I think we will try it and see if Dancing Queen will approve. I'll do anything to get her to eat more protein!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny I just got into an Facebook discussion about White Bean Hummus. The question, "If it has white beans is it still Hummus."

    I fell into the "yes" category. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good hummus and have all the ingredients. I think I will make this this afternoon. Thank you for sharing.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made hummus; mime is chick peas and roasted red pepper. Thank you for giving me another version; looks great!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never had hummus, but my DIL makes it! She is always trying to get me to eat it. I love your story, and like your cake analogy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure he'd love to have this post dedicated to him, and what a great recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this recipe. I too have only used chickpeas before but will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never made hummus with white beans and it does sound yummy, Bonnie. I can buy fresh pita bread at the farmer's market that will be delicious with it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I may just try this this week. I think I saw a recipe like this recently, possibly in a magazine...looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bonnie, My best friend loves hummus --but I've never had any... I'll have to try some..

    My Mom was an excellent cook and baker.. She was a pro in the kitchen. Her cheese rolls were fabulous --along with many other things. Unfortunately, I did not inherit those skills. I learned to cook--but never enjoyed it much.. My hubby is the one who loves to cook --and makes our entrees every night while I do the rest. Works for us!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always seem to make a roasted red pepper hummus, a recipe from my brother, which is very good. I look foward to trying yours. Hummus is a lovely way to get more protein.
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love hummus, but we have never made it with white beans before. I bet it is even creamier! Thank you for sharing, my friend. I'm hungry and wishing I could have THIS and a homemade pita for dinner. Blessings and love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is fun to hear more of your southern roots, Bonnie.

    I can't wait to make this hummus. Looks easy and delicious.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Bonnie, you won't believe this but for the past couple of nites I have been having hummus for dinner! I know that it is easy to make but have never tried. Thanks for the recipe. Another great summer dish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have my pita bread ready here......
    www.savitharajsspiceland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always have a container of hummus in my refrigerator...I love it.Now this is a nice change with the white beans. I will have to try it. I usually make my own, but saw a container at Costco of Yellow lentil hummus and it is delish! More spicy than regular but so good!

    I grew up in Virginia and Maryland. My grandmother in Fredricksburg could cook anything and everything. Do you remember watermelon pickles? My grandmother didn't waste anything.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.