Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Apple Hot Cakes

My husband's favorite meal is breakfast.  I think we've tried almost every restaurant in Chicago that offers brunch.  Since he has started spending more time in the kitchen, a big focus has been breakfast.  Over the weekend he made apple hot cakes for us.  I shamelessly sipped coffee and read the paper while he grated and sauteed and brought them to the table.  As with many of the recipes he tries, this one was clipped from the paper.  He couldn't remember which paper.

Here's the recipe and it is certainly worth a try.  I'm thinking they will be perfect for fall but I won't turn them down any time.



Apple Hot Cakes from either the Chicago Tribune or the Post Tribune


2 cups cake flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp each: cinnamon and salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten with a fork
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 medium tart apples washed, cored and shredded  (about 3 cups)
Vegetable oil for the griddle
Maple syrup, warmed, for serving

1.  Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.  Add buttermilk, beaten egg, melted butter and vanilla.  Mix well then stir in the apples.
2.  Heat greased griddle until hot.  Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter onto hot griddle and spread to about 3 inch rounds.  Cook over medium heat, turning once until browned on both sides--about three minutes per side.  Keep warm in a 200-degree oven.
3.  Serve with warm maple syrup

ENJOY!

30 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! My son and I go for anything with apples...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound great, I've been craving apples recently... maybe looking forward to fall:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sipping coffee and reading the paper part, while he cooked such an amazing breakfast! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound yummy and it is too early for I was thinking of real "cake" -- not a breakfast dish! Duh!!!! I guess my mind doesn't get in gear until after my first cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! i really need one of those right now. By all means come to my house and make me some! they look amazing and so scrumptious and tender and sweet. I am craving these now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love it when Roger prepares breakfast and I "sip coffee". I may have to slip this recipe under his nose...ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a week of husband cooking! My hubby has made dinner twice this week and I'm LOVING it :) Glad to see yours his giving him a run for his money too! Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good! What a fantastic way to start he day; must smell good at your place.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! Too bad I am trying diet. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. drooling now... looks and sounds amazing to me

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are going to try this recipe. DQ might even eat pancakes if they have apples in them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shameless, simply shameless gal......but oh, that would have been me as well.... Feet up in the other chair, newspaper and a cup of coffee while he slaves over the stove. THEY sure look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of those dishes that are so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just love weekend breakfast? Your husband found a great one, here. Thank you for sharing such a yummy treat with me. My long day at work will be all the more sweeter now that I've visited your blog. Hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your recipes are ALWAYS so tempting! These look great and I'll be giving them a try!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, that looks good! Are you going to make Snickerdoodles today?

    ReplyDelete
  17. These do sound amazing. My husband would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, he did a lot of work and went to a lot of trouble!! I have never heard of this kind, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sip that coffee and read that paper . . . it looks like an amazing breakfast was on its way. YUM.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie, Those sound so good... My best friend's hubby makes something similar but he calls them Apple Pancakes.... Yummy... I'd love them --with some Hot Apple Cider.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum---can anyone say "FALL?"

    Oh golly!


    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound so yummy!How wonderful to sit like a princess while he tries out a new recipe!

    Thank you so much for your prayers and kind thoughts. Bless you.
    Hugs
    June xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE pancakes, but have yet to try (or even possess) a recipe for apple pancakes. I'm printing this one out. I can't wait to try them. Your husband sounds like a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They sound wonderful! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm "pinning" this recipe and can't wait to try it with our apples that are still on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, you lucky girl!!! That does sound like a perfect recipe for a fall morning!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  28. They sound SO good - my kids would get out of bed for these - thanks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my! Look at that colour! I bet they were heavenly. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.