Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Best Banana Bread!

I've made a lot of banana bread and have eaten more than I've made.  This is the best.  I am agreeable, however, to trying some of your favorite banana breads to see if my statement holds up.  Just overnight them to me and I'll get back to you with my decision.

This was one of the quick breads I made for the bridal luncheon.  I intended to photograph it sliced but it quickly disappeared!!

Sarah Leah Chase was one of the authors of the original Silver Palate cookbook.  I have two of her cookbooks.  Both Nantucket Open House and Cold-Weather Cooking have served me well through the years.  This is her banana bread recipe.


Banana Bread from Cold-Weather Cooking by Sara Leah Chase

1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup Jamaican rum
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
3 ripe bananas (mine were fairly large), mashed
2/3 cup macadamia nuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2.  Place the raisins and rum together in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and set aside to cool.
3.  Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.  Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in the vanilla.
4.  Sift all the dry ingredients and the spices together and add to the butter mixture alternating with the mashed bananas.  Stir well after each addition.
5.  Fold in the macadamia nuts, coconut and raisins with the rum.  Spoon mixture into the prepared pan.
6.  Bake the bread until a tester inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean--about an hour.  Place the pan on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.  Remove the loaf from the pan to the wire rack and cool completely.  Serve at room temperature.  I think it's even better wrapped tightly until the next day.

ENJOY!

27 comments:

  1. You got me by the second ingredient, Jamaican rum. Anxious to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas, raisins, coconut and rum-sounds like a winner to me:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this does sound delicious. I love the addition of the rum, ginger and macadamia nuts. I think I may just have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Bonnie, That looks yummy. I love moist banana bread (would have to leave out the raisins for my hubby though) ---made with VERY RIPE nanners..... Delicious!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I commend you for turning on the oven in this heat!!!! I have a weird history with banana bread and cake, which I intend to post about at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rum, coconut and macadamia nuts? This one sounds really good, and also different from any of the banana breads I've made. I love having options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hai Dear

    This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog… You have so many wonderful recipes..I have bookmarked you blog and some recipe from that to try..Please check out my blog.I am having a Giveaway in my blog..Please check it out and partcipate in that..
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/07/homemade-bounty-chocolate-and-giveaway.html

    Aarthi

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, seems we're all making banana bread! Yours looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yes, the rum and ginger make this sound wonderful but nothing beats my grandma's recipe i'm afraid: http://belleaukitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/guest-kitchen-mums-banana-and-raisin.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been partial to James Beard's recipe for banana bread is one of his oldest baking books. I will see if I can root it up and copy the recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I love banana bread and mine has often been compared to a brick! I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Between the rum and all of those fabulous spices...I know that this truly is the best banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Sarah's books too, and cook from them often. I do have my own recipe for banana bread, but I'm loving your ingredient list. Definitely will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie,
    I have Sarah's books. Her recipes are wonderful. The bread sounds wonderful - Jamaican rum is wonderful.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen all these great ingredients in a banana bread before. I must try. Actually, I think every time I've made banana bread I use a different recipe, all just fine but no standout. You've found it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh! I love the coconut! Your bread certainly has 'best' potential :) I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can taste it! One of my favorites. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Banana bread bread with rum and coconut; you're bringing this banana bread to a new horizons.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is my husbands favorite, he loves B bread and this is making me hungry looking at it. this sounds a little different and he might like it better

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved my mother's banana bread, but she didn't add Jamaican Rum. I'm thinking I might be convinced your recipe wins.... Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nuts, rum, coconut!!! Sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. now that looks yummy and it has some stuff in there I have never used in my bread. WIll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It does look very yummy. Thanks for the recipe. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bet this has a real tropical taste with the rum and macadamia's. I'm not a big fan of banana bread, but I do make it for my gardener. I use Emeril's recipe where the bananas, sour cream and eggs are pureed in a food processor before adding it to the dry ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This does sound like an amazing recipe! I'm saving a copy to try.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.