Friday, August 12, 2011

Eggplant and Tomato Appetizer

If you can't pack up and spend and spend a few weeks with Susan Herrmann Loomis at her cooking school in France, the next best thing is reading her memoir "On Rue Tatin".  Susan, with good humor and deliciousness, recalls the miraculous restoration she and her husband did on a dilapidated convent to turn it into their home.  The book is riddled with wonderful recipes and anecdotes about the wary neighbors that finally welcomed them into their community.  It is a good read on a summer porch or by a winter fire.

I'm giving you this recipe today because its deliciousness relies on the freshest of ingredients.  Hopefully you all have access to a Saturday farmer's market.  I think you'll find yourself well rewarded with little effort in the kitchen.  The recipe is easily halved.


Eggplant and Tomato Appetizer from Susan Herrmann Loomis "On Rue Tatin"

1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
Fine sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 pounds fresh firm eggplant, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inches slices
2 to 3 Tbsp good olive oil
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves

1.  Combine the tomatoes, salt, sugar and vinegar and transfer to a fine sieve set over a bowl.  Allow to drain for an hour.
2.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3.  Brush the eggplant slices generously on both sides with the olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and bake in the bottom third of the oven until they are golden on one side--about 10 minutes.  Turn the slices, sprinkle with more salt and return to the oven until golden and tender.  This will take an additional 8 to 10 minutes more.
4.  Arrange the eggplant slices on a warmed platter.  Top with the tomato sauce and garnish with the basil leaves (unless you forget all about them as I did this time!!).  Serve immediately or at room temperature.

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. I am so making this -- it looks really really good and features two of my favorite summer foods. I, too, love Susan Loomis and her books about Rue Tatin -- and have made some things from them. I especially like her French country book (can't remember the name of it now) which is where I met up with her first.

    Alas, I'm going out for lunch and dinner today and I'm not sure that it would be a good breakfast! Sigh -- it will have to wait until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very seasonal indeed! Looks like a nice app or side dish:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this for dinner last night, great minds think alike...thanks for sharing...

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book and you just reminded me to pick it up once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh, Bonnie! You just reminded me of one of my favorite recipes I haven't thought of this summer! Basically the same except you slice the eggplants thin, roast them and then layer them alternately with thin sliced tomatoes and basil!! OH, YES! Throw it back in the oven with a touch of parmesan on top... Yes, ma'am. Eggplant and tomato make a delicious marriage!! Thank you! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm up to my elbows in eggplant so this is a fantastic recipe for me! Looks DELISH :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this recipe, Bonnie. You know I'm a big fan of her recipes and this is one of the best. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! Eggplant and tomatoes...two of my very favorite things! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like another good way to use our garden's bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie this appetizer looks so delicious! I have eggplant growing in my garden so I'll try it out the next time I pick one!

    Please visit Beverly of How Sweet the Sound blog on typepad and leave a comment on her Pink Saturday post as each comment will earn $1 for Miracle Makeovers to help children battling cancer..thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks wonderful. the perfect appetizer that is both filling but light. It has to be a favorite of mine so far

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes an unusual and really pretty appetizer! I bet it would be good to take to parties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks SO good and perfect for this time of year! I haven't heard of this cookbook and will have to check it out. I know my husband would love this as well. I 'll have to make this for dinner one night soon! Thanks for posting.

    P.S. I loved your comment on the "cocola cake." That is truly the Southern way of pronouncing it especially with Southern Sparkle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Miss Bonnie, You should start the Bonnie Cooking School right here in the USA... Wouldn't that be super????? The eggplant and tomato appetizer looks wonderful.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. L o v e eggplant. This is definitely one to try! When we lived in Africa I would chop eggplant up small (we had so many growing in our garden, that we didn't even plant, that I could easily have used one a day) ...and saute them and "pretend" they were mushrooms for our beef strogonoff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless your heart! About the only things I have left in my garden are tomatoes, eggplant and basil. PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect dish to celebrate all that is summer! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great. Eggplant and tomato are such a good combination.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.