Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Vietnamese Beef Sandwich (Banh Mi)

It's no secret, I love cookbooks.  My shelves are groaning under their weight.  Sometimes I find them mixed in with novels, self-help books (most yet to be read), histories and mysteries.  I'm a well-rounded reader (except for the self-help section).  Do I need another cookbook?  No!  Do I want more cookbooks?  Yes!  

Mary, over at Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes, was hosting a give-away a few weeks back and I was delighted to find myself the winner of 


I've used Stonewall Kitchen products for years but didn't know they had cookbooks.  They even have a restaurant and cooking school in Maine--one more reason for my desire to visit that state.  When the cookbook arrived in the mail last week, I sat right down to choose a recipe to try.  I came across a recipe for banh mi (Vietnamese for sandwich) and it sounded familiar.  Andrew reminded me that a restaurant, Banh Mi, had recently opened in Chicago.  Below is the delicious grilled steak sandwich we enjoyed.

Also tucked in the package were two "tasty" potholders.


Thank you, Mary, for adding more deliciousness to our table!


Vietnamese Beef Sandwich from the Stonewall Kitchen Grilling Cookbook

1 pound skirt or flank steak (I splurged with a NY Strip that I already had)

Marinade:
Fresh lemongrass* with outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Asian sesame oil

*lemongrass can be found in more supermarkets these days and I've even purchased it jarred in the Asian food section.  Fresh is better.

Blend the ingredients well and pour over the steak, coating both sides.  Marinate for at least an hour and up to overnight.

Preheat the grill for high direct heat (400 to 450) or prepare charcoal.

Grill the beef for 3 minutes per side covered for slightly rare which is best.  By all means, however, prepare it to your taste.

Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp Asian fish sauce and 1 Tbsp soy sauce together and spread on one side of a crusty baguette.  Spread the other side with mayonnaise.

Slice the steak and place on the baguette.

ENJOY!


23 comments:

  1. Ha. I was over here when I discovered that I had missed the last post! Did you by any chance see the Food Truck Wars, I think on the Food Network? The Nom Nom truck served the Bahn Mi sandwiches and I have been dying to try them ever since! Thank you for this recipe, Bonnie! Have a wonderful day! Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew they had cookbooks either..You did her proud..cute potholders also..
    Books are treasures..you can go back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good (you do a great job displaying and photographing food!) ... we just discovered a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant here. Lots of Thai, but hadn't see the combo before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your win and lunch looks mighty fine:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its exciting to win a giveaway and this one will keep on giving. If you need more cookbooks....ahem...WANT more cookbooks, I have plenty. I have some here from International to Southern cooking. Strange, I use to read them like a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like one delicious sandwich. I wonder how Banh Mi is pronounced??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the win! I felll in love with Vietnamse food on our last trip to Victoria BC. That sandwich sure looks good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings....I am getting all caught up with my favorite blogs. I just typed out my whole message to you, then lost it. Rats! Anyway, I loved reading your little snippet of facts about yourself. I too love Thai. The flavors are remarkable! And kudos to you for being fearless in your driving. I am afraid I cannot say the same thing about myself!!! And you flew to England for the weekend??? Wow. That is somewhere I would so love to go. I spent 3 weeks in Italy with my Mom a few years ago. It was fabulous, and we should have gone to England too. Darn!! Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous sandwich! If this is an example of the recipes it contains this is a must see cook book. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. nary a cook book in my house, do they make FICTION cook books? LOL because my cooking is all a big fat NOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really yummy!!! I have never heard of Stonewall, though I love shopping in kitchen supply stores!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE stonewall farms! They make such great products and if this is any indication than their cookbook sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie - that's why I like you so much, you like cookbooks as much as I do!

    Love lemongrass - didn't discovery it until a few years ago - now I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hubby does cook, and i cook but not with recipes, just things my mother fixed when we were growing up. i have never cooked a turkey, hubby does that on holidays. i used to buy the turkey and all the trims and mother would cook it all and since i don't mind clean up, i would clean up. she died and hubby took over the holiday cooking and I clean up. now that it is just 2 of us and the kids are in different states and cities, we don't do holiday cooking

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look absolutely nice Bonnie! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bonnie!

    I'm so happy you enjoyed the cookbook and the pot-holders!

    The sandwich looks absolutely delicious! I think I'll pick that cook book up for myself too!

    Happy cooking!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are kindred spirits in our cookbook collecting! I love them too! Your Banh Mi looks delicious and the marinade for it sounds SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sandwich looks good, Bonnie... I love steak --most any way I can get it, as long as it's really tender!!!!!! Yum...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious. I didn't bring my bottle of nouc mam from Seattle . . . imagine the smell if it leaked. This recipe makes me want to go get one right now.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love Vietnamese sandwiches. There is a great trailer here in Austin where we get them on the weekend. I will have to try my hand at home! And congrats on the win too! Thank you for sharing with me tonight...it was a lovely and delicious way to end my day. Much love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Makes my mouth water just reading the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The marinade sounds delicious with the fish sauce and lemon grass. Makes me miss my beautiful lemon grass plant that I had in my back yard in the islands. Those same islands are about to be pounded from Hurricane Irene. When Floyd came through, he killed my lemongrass plant years ago. I'm glad to know you can buy it in the supermarket. I'll keep my eye out.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Weren't you lucky to win that lovely cookbook! This is one of my favorite sandwiches. I love all those wonderful flavors in the marinade.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.