Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Welcome Plums in a Tart

August brings us plums in the midwest.  Markets are overflowing with Santa Rosa, Vanier, Green Gage and Black Ruby varieties.  In shades of deepest dark red, yellow and green they fill baskets and spill onto table tops at our farmer's market.  Their tart skin and sweet flesh are delicious for eating out of hand.  When put into a tart, they are irresistible!!  I toted a large bag home from Saturday's market and artfully arranged them on the kitchen counter while I decided what to do with at least a part of them.  In wandered my "baker".  "Those look good.  What do you plan for them?" he asked.  "Oh, maybe we should just eat them" I said.  Before I could say "Little Jack Horner",  the "baker" went off to search his newspaper recipe file and soon this lovely tart appeared.



Almond Plum Tart inspired by a recipe in the Chicago Tribune

1 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp ice water

Filling:

1 1/2 cups sliced, blanched almonds
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup almond liqueur
2 large eggs

Plum topping:

1 1/4 pounds fresh plums (mixed), pitted, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp each  unsalted butter, sugar

1.  Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the food processor.  Blend for about 2 seconds.  Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse corn meal.  With the motor running, add the egg yolk and the water then pulse until the dough is just coming together into a ball.
2.  Transfer the dough to a floured board and press into a round.  Roll out into a circle large enough to fit a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.  Fit dough loosely into the pan.  Trim off excess dough from the edges.  Press the dough lightly against the sides of the pan.  Place the pan into the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

3.  For filling,  process the almonds in the food processor until finely ground.  Add sugar, butter, flour and liqueur.  Pulse until a paste forms.  Add the eggs and process to incorporate, about 10 seconds.  Spread mixture in the tart dough and smooth out.
4.  For plum topping, arrange plum slices overlapping tightly in concentric circles.  Arrange two rows of plum slices in the center of the tart.  Dot with butter and sugar.  Bake until tart is brown on top, about 1 hour.  Cool.  NOTE:  You can substitute apples or pears for the plums.

ENJOY!

27 comments:

  1. Well, my Santa Rosa plum tree is LOADED!!! I just checked it today to see if it was ready...about another 3 or 4 warm days, I think.

    With the exception of one person in our family, we don't really like fresh plums, so I was going to deliver bags full of them to several neighbors. However, your tart looks delicious...I think even we non-plum eaters will like them baked into that. So, I suppose, I'll keep a bag full for myself.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to clean the drool off my keyboard!! Oh, how wonderful that looks! I wish I were close enough to sample that one! I'm saving the recipe for the day I have reduced some of the excess fluff I have accumulated BECAUSE I love this kind of thing so much! LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband made this? Well, he really is a chef!!! It is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love plum tarts and their season is so short!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious, Bonnie... We get plums down here also--and they are so sweet and delicious... Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a beautiful dish of plums on my counter too, but the only thing it inspires hubby to do is eat them! You're so lucky to have another baker in the house. That's one gorgeous tart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, this looks delicious! I've never made a plum tart! I'll bet my family would love it!

    Please let me know when you receive your book and how you like it!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about a plum tart all summer. I usually make one but the summer has been so busy! This one looks gorgeous ... and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This combination sounds like a winner. I love almond filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another bit of goodness I have never had. There he goes again making yummys, what a baker he is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is beautiful to look at and my taste buds are "ready" now. Like your cup in the header, I am sipping from my favorite gopher cup as I look at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful! Simply beautiful my friend. I want that tart so much right now! Besides my peaches, plums are my favorite summer fruit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ahve always loved the look of a tart..and the look of plums on top..
    This sounds delicious.And looks it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my this looks so good! I'm printing this so I can make it, it just looks like a great Fall dessert!
    The cookbook was a big hit and several women asked if I'd make them one too but instead we did a tutorial and they learned they could make it for gifts etc. Then they filled it with favorite recipes to start the collection for the recipient.
    Thanks for coming by!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so eager for more fall fruits and vegetables to find their way into my kitchen. Thank you for sharing this plum tart recipe. I'm eager to try it out on my own. I love visiting your blog before my work day. I need to begin with a smile :-) Have a wonderful rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think plums are highly underrated. I have a plum crumble that is positively decadent, and I far prefer plum chutney over peach. Thanks for the delicious looking recipe. I see a trip to the Farmers Marker in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes when I bring home beautiful fruit or vegetables I just want to leave them on the counter so I can enjoy them with my eyes first. This tart looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovly tart; I can almost taste those plums. Love this idea of making someting Special with them.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty tart, Bonnie! I never made a plum tart but if I find plums on sale locally, I will try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Almonds and plums? Yummy! Bonnie, I headed to Chicago next week. Anything I must see? Hugs Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Plums! I haven't seen a plum in ages! This tart looks fabulous :) So yummy and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds delightful and now I have to look for plums! I only saw peaches at the farmers' market today. You are so lucky to have a husband who likes to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious! I love the color of plums.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks outstanding! Thanks for the recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now I'm even happeir that I found your blog! Now--must find plums.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.