Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cake No. 2

The Baker asked me where he could find McVitie's digestive biscuits the other day.  "Harrod's Food Court" was my suggestion.  I even offered to pick some up for him.  When he ignored my offer--I guess he thought it might take too long for me to cross the pond and shop--I forgot about his question.  He can be very mysterious at times as to what he's planning to bake.  Lo and behold, a few days later, I saw a box of McVitie's on the kitchen counter.  I also saw a clipping from the April 11, 2011 Chicago Tribune that showcased the recipe of "cake #2" for the royal wedding.

And I knew I was in for a treat!


Chocolate Biscuit Cake from The Baker, The Chicago Tribune and Darren McGrady

8 ounces digestive (tea) biscuits or cookies
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar (superfine is best)
12 ounces dark chocolate 
1 egg, beaten

1.  Lightly grease a 6-inch cake ring or springform pan with butter.  Break each of the biscuits into almond-size pieces; set aside.  Cream the butter and sugar until a light lemon color.
2.  Melt 4 ounces of the chocolate in a double boiler.  Off the heat, add the butter and sugar mixture, stirring constantly.  Add the beaten egg, stirring well.  Fold in the biscuit pieces until they are well coated with the chocolate mixture.
3.  Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake ring.  Fill in the gaps on the bottom of the ring as much as possible as this will be the top when unmolded.  Refrigerate for at least two hours.
4.  Remove the cake from the refrigerator and let it stand while you melt the remaining 8 ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler.  Remove the sides from the cake and place, upside down, on a cooling rack.  Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the cake and smooth the top and sides.  Let sit until the icing hardens.

ENJOY!


31 comments:

  1. Did the Baker head over for the biscuits? The cake looks delicious. It so looks like something I would love to devour. Seriously though, where did he find the biscuits? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so amazing. I remember seeing this around the time of the Royal wedding and wished for the proper ingredients. Very fun.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you ate like royalty!! I love The Baker's sense of adventure with his culinary treats!! Wish I could have been there to sneak a bite of this one! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I wanted to try this too back during all of the Royal Wedding festivities but never made it. You all have inspired me to try it! Yes, I think you should definitely head across the pond to get your McVities, you know, just to make sure you are getting the freshest for the Baker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome!! I heard about these biscuits when I watched the royal wedding, they were having them at the wedding brunch, or breakfast or something. One of the American reporters tried one, yes, I do think it was breakfast now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that looks delicious. Actually, I'll bet the biscuits are delish just plain, with a cup of tea or a glass of milk. I'm quite sure, though, that I would never find them in a grocery store in Boise, Idaho. It's very difficult finding "gourmet" foods here.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my. That sounds awesome. I adore those digestive biscuits --

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your baker's choice of cake; I have never seen this biscuits, but have read about them.
    This would go down very well with a cup of tea.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful!! I can send you a packet of McVities anytime you like, just ask. When I lived in London I used to live not far from the McVities factory. On some days, when the wind blew in our direction we'd get the most glorious oaty, malty smell wafting over the rooftops .. It was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always eat McVitie's Digestives in this house. I'm going to try this recipe. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does sound yummy, looks very pretty too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Serious? I love McVities... And a cake too?? This is a must-try!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! That looks so amazingly good. I mean like so good, I want to dig into it right now or since I can't obviously do that I want to make it right now! Wow, totally impressed and so inspired

    ReplyDelete
  14. EVen though one can buy delicious desserts, often they taste so much better after the rhythm and work of preparing them. It looks beautiful! Too bad you can't cut it and put it on dessert plates for your bloggies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie,
    We have a section for imported food in our supermarkets and I have found the biscuits there. They became a ritual after I came back from my trip to England a few years back. Then they sort of were forgotten. I will have to get some again.

    The cake looks wonderful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. so this is a cake that helps digestive system? right? how healthy would i be if i ate the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. digestive biscuits? now that is a new one on me.

    There he goes again, that sure is mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! I've missed your recipes while on blogging break. I rarely ever cook outside the box but still enjoy looking at different recipes and dishes. This one hits my sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm...I've seen these cakes before and I am dying to try it. We have quite a large Brittish section in our Publix (supermarket) so the biscuits will be easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, the Prince's cake! It looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm pretty sure that Wegman's has McVitie's- I may need a road trip. This sounds so good, and I'm sure that we'd enjoy it just as much as the royal couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let me add to the cake's accolades! Bravo! The cake does look amazing. I was lucky enough to go to Harrod's once a long time ago. I don't think the biscuits would have made it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like my kind of cake! Yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How funny, this is the royal cake? I grew up on that cake which is called biscuit au chocolat back in Lebanon and every family was making it with plain cookies; I guess using the digestives (love these!) makes it English. Even now, this cake is offered at most coffee shops in Beirut.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So where did he find the biscuits??? You are so lucky to have the Baker. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. omg that looks so great and so interesting! i must definitely try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How could this not be enjoyed. Your baker has a keen eye for great recipes and he has great execution to boot :-). It definitely is a dessert fit for a (future) king. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank goodness for a little mystery to spice things up in relationship...especially when there's a dessert in the surprise bag.
    Thanks to your baker love for sharing this scrumptious treat.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.