Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pomegranate, Apple, Walnut and Goat Cheese Late Autumn Salad

It was sunny and bright today despite the thermometer announcing a 38 degree high.  I was glad that I'd planned a late autumn salad for our lunch.

(Note:  I have no idea how my photo turned out like this.  Does anyone?  It looks like I played around in IPhoto but I didn't.)

I picked up this perfect pomegranate on Saturday and it patiently waited on the counter to star in a special way.




Pomegranate, Apple, Walnut and Goat Cheese Salad

Salad Greens
Vinaigrette 
6 ounces goat cheese, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
white of one egg, slightly beaten
Handful of pomegranate seeds
Handful of sugared walnuts 
1 medium Macintosh apple, thinly sliced

1.  For the dressing I did a simple vinaigrette formula of 1 cup good olive oil, 1/2 cup of vinegar (I actually had a lovely pomegranate vinegar but you can use a balsamic), 1/2 tsp sugar and salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk all together.  It will keep for a week or more refrigerated.
2.  Dip the cheese slices in the egg white then dredge all over in the bread crumbs.  Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
3.  On a large plate, arrange the salad greens, top with the apple slices and drizzle with the vinaigrette.  
4.  In a medium saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter until butter is melted.
5.  Saute the goat cheese slices until nicely browned on both sides, about three minutes per side.  Place on the salad greens and apples.  Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and walnuts.

Serves 2

ENJOY

27 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, seasonal salad! I love the use of pomegrananate. I'm sure the flavor is spectacular! Thank you for tempting me with this salad. I'm hungry now! I hope you have a lovely end to your week. I can't believe it is already Thursday! Hugs and love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love pomegranate! Love using it in salads. I think your photograph is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the same weather here. I guess you eat the seeds? Because that is all they seem to be, but they are discovering so many wonderful health benefits of them. They are very pretty, and I have been stalking the grocery store snapping them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter (you know, our resident cook) came up with a similar salad for Thanksgiving dinner. Basically, lettuce greens, pomegranate, toasted pecans, and feta. She made a mustard vinagriette dressing...talk about delish! It is now my favorite salad, and since my son didn't request a specific salad for his birthday yesterday, I requested that one again.

    I do love pomegranates!!

    Hugs to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie, I would love that salad... It looks delicious. I haven't had a pomegranate in years and years...

    Our low tonight is supposed to be in the mid-20's. It's already 29 here now (almost 9 p.m.) Brrrrrrrr...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love this! With that pan-fried goat cheese...delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it may be the flash. Have you tried doing no flash on your camera? You can always work on the exposure in the editing process. I find that flash is just too harsh.

    BTW that salad is beautiful! Looks very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photograph looks like it should be framed, Bonnie. It is beautiful and so is that salad. The sauted goat cheese has my attention, too. Don't think I've ever had it that way and I'm wondering how I've missed out on that this long! Thank you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love pomegranates.. they are really food of the gods, aren't they? Delicious looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we had a pomegranate tree when i was a child and they just rotted on the ground and I have wondered what people did with them, because they were not good to just eat. now i know. the photos is great and it does look like it was edited, the plate is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have to get a pomegranate to try this recipe; I know it will be a hit in this house. yoour photo is Picture Perfect; right angle, right light.
    What a thrill when that happens, but I always find your photos come out so Good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to have this salad! (We're having a bright, sunny 38 degree weather day here.) I've never tried goat cheese this way, but I gotta! If I could only find a pretty pomegranate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous combination of flavours- thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful salad and I sure wish I liked goat cheese when I see recipes like this.

    I'll take 38 for as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make the best salads! Not that I've ever tasted one, but a photo is worth a few ... bites anyway! Always looks delicious. As far as your first photo--curious! Maybe something to do with the lighting? Striking though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my. Even though I had lunch...I'm hungry now!
    Looks delic!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! You have introduced so many very different delights into my otherwise borin' life of smashed potatoes and steak!

    God bless ya sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply beautiful.

    Cheers,
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  21. An autumn and winter salad! Beautiful and what a great idea. With all the heavy food that we consume during this time a nice wonderful light and yet still festive salad is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh My! That is soooo beautiful and sounds wonderful. Love all the ingredients. I just finished my breakfast (brunch) but you made me hungry! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a pretty and tasty salad. Don't you love using pomegranate arils? They add the perfect snazzy crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoy your weekend sweetie! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband loves pomegranate seeds so I will make this salad as surprise for him one night soon. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful salad! I have been wanting to make a salad with goat cheese for some time now, maybe I will give this one a shot.
    www.compulsivefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.