Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Re/Pa* Corn and Shrimp Chowder(ish)

*Refrigerator/Pantry

Before every major food-related holiday, I get the urge to purge refrigerator and pantry.  Don't get me wrong, we don't waste food.  Sometimes, however, items get pushed to the back of the freezer, refrigerator or pantry where they languish until way past their prime.  Just a few days ago, The Pharmacist (aka The Baker) pulled an item from the refrigerator and asked "What is this?".  "Um, (turning it over in my hand) that's penicillin.  Can you find a use for it?"  I thought it was a clever response!  It's times like this that I really miss the boys.  They could always find something in that refrigerator to turn into a science project.

I first started with the pantry checking dates.  There are always a few items that I wonder how they got there and why.  The pantry check turned up an eight-ounce can of creamed corn.  Since I rarely purchase canned corn and never creamed corn, I figured it must have been a mistake.  There were a few potatoes that were starting to grow new potatoes and one lonely medium sized onion.

Moving on to the freezer, a dozen extra large shrimp came into view along with a quart container of chicken stock.  An idea came to mind for a shrimp chowder.  I added a large clove of crushed garlic and a few parsley sprigs that were clinging to life in the garden.

It was a good bowl.
  


Re/Pa* Corn and Shrimp Chowder

1 quart of chicken stock
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large crushed garlic clove
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 8-oz can of creamed corn
12 extra large shrimp, cut into thirds
1/4 cup heavy cream
parsley

1.  Reduce the stock to about three cups.
2.  In a small saute pan, cook the onion in the oil until translucent--about five minutes over medium heat.
3.  Add the crushed garlic and saute for one minute.  Add all to the stock along with the potatoes and creamed corn.  Simmer until the potatoes are tender.  About fifteen minutes.
4.  Just before serving, stir in the shrimp and heat until they are pink--about five minutes.  Remove the garlic clove.  Stir in the heavy cream.
5.  Sprinkle with the parsley leaves.

ENJOY!

26 comments:

  1. It's that time, I just made a chowder with little bits from my freezer; came out wonderful. Love your idea of adding cream corn; gotta be good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you clever?!!! When I saw your post's title, I thought, "oh, an Asian recipe..." And you're right, your penicillin response was right on the mark!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly gal, I wonder if you were to come purge mine what you could come up with. That looks yummy. I have all the makings as I went to the farmers market yesterday so I think this will be on the menu tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a delicious 'frig, freezer, pantry' dinner.. I love all of those ingredients --so the corn and shrimp chowder sounds like a good meal.... YUM...

    We do the same thing... The best time for us to clean out the frig is right before we are getting ready to travel... Amazing what we can find!!!!! ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The penicillin cracked me up:) Great answer!Just had my first corn chowders believe it or not..I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soups, stews, and chowders are on our dinner menu several nights each week nowadays. This looks and sounds delicious, and I like that it is made from ingredients one is likely to have on hand.

    Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. the soup sounds wonderful, now if only our weather was a little cooler so i could enjoy soup. we have the AC on because our humidity is so high. amazing what you could make from left overs and found food. this morning I looked to see if we had a can of condensed milk and the date was use by june of 09.. yikes

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband actually just asked for a shrimp chowder the other day and I was like okay honey- i will jump right on that but now I am definitely do it like tonight after seeing your post. It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to clear out my pantry and fridge this time of year too. I love this post...clever and delicious. Thank you for making my morning brighter! I'm so glad I have your blog to make me smile. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you gotta make room for the big stuff! I love RePa days. Get a chance to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent use of your stuff! Looks delicious. I would have creamed corn in the pantry for corn chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, yes it is freezer and fridge clean out time indeed!!!!! Your chowder looks good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one of those people who can create gourmet type meals from a few ingredients that are on hand. This is a real talent, I think most people can't do it, I sure can't. Next stop for you should be the Top Chef show! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks wonderfully tasty and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you come to my house and clean out my pantry please? You always come up with yummy combinations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum! Sounds wonderful! I sort of did the same thing tonight, but ended up with vegetable soup. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how your mind works so creatively, Bonnie!! YUM! blessings and hope you have a wonderful day. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will soon me purging my fridge too, and frankly I'm scared to see what is in there. I hate our fridge, because stuff gets pushed back and I can't reach it very well. My bad back and that fridge do not make a good combination! I really want one that has the freezer on the bottom, so everything is eye level.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I can just smell the aroma risin' from the computer...Mmmmmm, it looks marvelous.

    I love the added cream corn idea...marvelous!

    God bless and enjoy this wonderful day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look delicious I love shrimp !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to chuckle...I should do some clean-out too. Chowder sounds wonderful. I have a can of creamed corn on my shelf too. Why? I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So funny about the penicillin :) Very clever! What a delicious way to use shrimp and corn from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love chowders of all kinds --the creaminess and flavors all come together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds perfect before the feastIng begins and your idea of cleaning out the pantry and fridge first is a smart one. We might end up having a soup or stew today. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That upside-down cake looks so festive and delicious I've got to add it to the menu!!!

    Thanks sweetie and I want to wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

    God bless ya :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hah, my husband does sort of the same thing; making something from what's in the fridge...and I don't dare ask for fear of what he will say is in it...
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.