Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sated with Virginia Country Ham

I'm home!  Well, I guess you might say I was "home" while away from home.  My two sisters and I met in our hometown for our annual October visit which includes a "shopathon" and an "eatathon".  We happily did justice to both "thons"!!

The Roanoker Restaurant has been around longer than we have.  We head there for breakfast every visit.


We order country ham in red eye gravy accompanied by big fluffy biscuits, grits, fried apples and eggs.  I've heard rumors that there's always a cardiologist on standby!!  Hey, it is only once a year


Country Ham and Red Eye Gravy

Wafer thin slices of Virginia Country Ham
Strong black coffee

Fry the ham slices quickly (about two minutes per side)
Remove to a paper towel to drain
Reduce the heat to medium and, to the remaining grease in pan, pour in the coffee.
You'll know it's ready when the coffee forms and "eye" in the center of the ham grease.

DON'T BE TIMID--DIG RIGHT IN!!


We headed to The Homeplace on Sunday.  It's our favorite time to go--sort of like driving up the mountain (Catawba) to have dinner at Aunt Emma's.  The big white farmhouse sits amid rolling meadows and serves dinner and supper Thursday through Sunday.  We prefer midday on Sunday.  There's always a wait (this time two hours) but we sit on the sprawling front porch and talk to strangers.  It is the south and they aren't strangers for long!!  It was a mild day and families had arrived with balls to toss about.  A remote-controlled plane whizzed above the meadow.  We were waiting for a table for four.  As we listened to the familiar and very southern gentleman call families in, the largest was a party of eighteen.  Many parties of ten to twelve were there.


The food is served family style.  Fried chicken is the centerpiece.  One can choose another meat.  Yes, we went with ham again!!  The sides include cole slaw (my favorite), pinto beans (although I like them, I don't view them as a "side" and don't indulge), real mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans and fried apples.  There is always a cobbler for dessert and this time it was a good mixed berry one.


It's a good and comforting meal.

I've missed you all and am looking forward to catching up.

More later.  Right now I'm off to the gym!!

29 comments:

  1. all of the food looks good and i know it tasted good because all foods that THEY say we should not eat are the best tasting. glad you are HOME. and i have never heard of coffee gravy, but since i love both coffee and gravy. i might like it. i do love the ham though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you enjoyed some good southern cooking! I'm so glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back home! All this food really looks so good; I have never had ham and gravy; would love to taste it. Great photos.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about the cardiologist on standby!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your sisters! Everything looked delicious! But wait, I didn't see any of your purchases!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it looks like a place worthy of a visit, even if it is just once a year. I am sure they would need to roll me out of there:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhhhhhh this post makes me hungry!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great time! I bet you need that gym visit after all that luscious food!Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun. So glad that you had a nice trip. Now I am really wanting some good food! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish to be with your sisters and you!!!!! WOW..... hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my. My favorite food in the world (except for pizza!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed you, both on your posts, and seeing you here. The food looks so good, I will eat at the Roanoker next time I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well back! Good ole' southern food. You ask for anything better. Alas, it is best to remember....everything in moderation. I am not very good at "moderating" though. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, it is suppose to say "you can't ask..." I was just overcome with excitement....Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a fun visit and ate very well-my kind of vaca:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am so impressed that you were off to the gym!! After my visit to Roanoke, I NEED to hit something! LOL! I am going to have to make the Homeplace on one of my visits. Still smiling over our visit at the Wildflour! Have a great day, Bonnie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! A shopathon and eatathon! You can pass me those biscuits right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks so good! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM, that ham looks flavourful. You can easily see the different textures of the meat, unlike the regular over processed stuff available in supermarkets

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heeeheehhee!!! My thighs started quiverin' at the very sight of those comfortin' dishes. OOoooh, Dr. Whitecoat would not be happy with me at all! Heeehehehe!

    Sounds like ya'll had a great visit and your trip was perfect.

    God bless and have a most splendid day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and talk about delicious southern food. Wow! I've never heard of red eyed gravy! I can't even imagine waiting two hours for a meal - it must be a wonderful place and quite the tradition for families there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! This comfort food at the highest level, enjoyed with people you enjoy the most. Awesome.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  22. What's not to love about good Southern cooking. :) So glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The only thing better than comfort food is comfort food enjoyed in the company of folks you love. It sounds like you had a marvelous time. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now that looks like some comfort food to me! Thank you for sharing another delicious and tempting post with me. It was a nice way to begin my morning...now if only I could bake all day and not go to work. Many blessings and hopes for a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All the food looks totally delicious!! And, of course, the Southern hospitality makes it all even better.

    Sounds like y'all had a totally wonderful time. How fun that you get to do it again next October. Wish I was one of your sisters!!

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  26. The ham and the biscuits look sooo good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow that ham looks divine! So glad you are back home! I am catching up on all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great thing to do to meet up with your sisters once a year. When we lived in the same town, my sisters (2) and I did a SNO once a month (Sisters Night Out) We took turns choosing a restaurant - it was lots of fun because even though we lived in the same town there was entire months that went by when we didn't get together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't had red-eye gravy in ages. This looks delicious, and thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.