Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Leftovers Soup



For Thanksgiving this year and, with some of you behind me (no blame here), I went "cold turkey"--well, actually I went "no turkey".  Instead of the big bird, pork tenderloin was the center of attraction.  It was, living up to its name, tender and quite good.  The Baker prepared his renowned potatoes mashed with sauteed onions, crisp bacon and sour cream.  A simple broccoli salad gave a tasty touch of green to the plate and dear Jim brought his delicious cranberry relish.  He's been making that relish for our dinner for a very long time.  In the beginning, he and son Colin prepared it together.  Back then, our children were at the table as well.  They still are a big part of our conversation as we share their joys and concerns.

I digress!  What I'm getting at is this:  It's only the second Thanksgiving ever that I've not had turkey.  Since I am a January baby, I assume that I did manage a little turkey my first Thanksgiving.  The turkeyless day that really stands out was when we lived in Lubbock, Texas.  It was our third year there and we had a delicious meal planned with friends.  A fresh turkey had been ordered to be picked up on the Wednesday before the big day.  I had my grocery shopping excursion planned for Tuesday.  A sitter had been engaged to watch the boys (four and two at the time) while I shopped for the perfect fruits, vegetables and other foods for our table.

 Alas, it started to snow in the wee hours of Tuesday a.m.  It snowed and snowed and snowed.  The snow blew and blew and blew.  We were snowed in!  Even the clinic closed early and The Baker (before he was the baker) came home.  It took a long time as the roads were impassable.  The snow continued and so did the wind.  Let me cut to the chase here.  We had no turkey that year.  In fact, the only thing I could prepare (remember, I hadn't made the grocery trip yet) was potato soup!!  Yes, on that Thanksgiving day, we sat down to a beautifully set table and big bowls of potato soup!!

We finally had our Thanksgiving dinner the following Sunday with our friends.  I've made sure that every winter since, there's been a duck (takes less room than a turkey) in our freezer just in case. 

This year, I couldn't have my favorite leftover--a turkey sandwich on Black Friday while I curled up with a Christmas movie instead of heading out to shop.  I did, however, utilize a few leftovers and made a creamy and delicious vegetable soup--in homage to that long ago soup we enjoyed on the high plains of Texas during a blizzard.




There is no recipe involved here.  I saved the broccoli stems and a few florets.  Since the broccoli was very fresh, I didn't peel the stems.  Do cut off the dried ends if necessary.  I added a couple of small peeled potatoes just to give some body to the finished dish.  The rest of the ingredients included a medium yellow onion, a fat clove of garlic, a teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves and about two cups of  chicken stock.

Give all a rough chop, saute the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until translucent.  Add the rest of the vegetables and bring to a boil.  Cover the pot and reduce to a simmer.


Test the vegetables for doneness (well doneness) after half an hour.  I used my immersion blender on this pot and it worked very well.  I then added a splash of half and half (use whole cream or milk if you like) and it was a soup worthy of, well, a Thanksgiving blizzard!


ENJOY!

28 comments:

  1. This creamy soup sounds wonderful...You do write very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup sounds perfect after over indulging on Thanksgiving. I had to smile of your blizzard Thanksgiving. No matter what, a wife, mother, cook always makes a meal memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I think this was my first ever Thanksgiving without a turkey... and man do I miss the turkey sandwich leftovers and carcass soup. I loved your story of the snowbound Thanksgiving. I know that potato soup was amazing. And, this soup looks delicous as well! blessings to you and yours ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect soup, with lots of veggies. I think Thanksgiving is about the leftovers, but that's only because turkeys are so big...we have to serve them when we have company! :) Pork you just get differnt leftovers :)I enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soups are just so comforting and the perfect way to use those leftovers and bits hanging out in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post - I could feel myself in that snow bound house!!

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meal sounds perfect. Turkey is extremely over-rated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i liked your story, I really like potato soup, so would be fine with me. i did watch a Christmas movie on black Friday and am about to watch another. I love DVR so i can watch on demand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your writing and the soup sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds lovely! I love that it's full of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, that was a blizzard for sure, this soup is wonderful and the Thanksgiving potato soup I'm sure was as well,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that story, Bonnie. Necessity sometimes has great results. This soup looks marvelous.
    My favorite Thanksgiving leftover is grain bread, turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce all loaded in one sandwich!
    So pleased you liked the aprons...there's something about vintage Christmas aprons I've always loved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You write beautifully, Bonnie! (Just as good as you cook, I'm sure!)

    That is a lovely story, and it's a good reminder that "wants" aren't always "needs." Really, your family COULD celebrate Thanksgiving with only potato soup. Though you might not have wanted it that way, it did satisfy your need for hot, warm, delicious food.

    Thank you for sharing such a great story.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Thanksgiving you'll never forget! I'm going to make a pork roast for our Christmas fete. I did make a turkey soup with leftovers; I hate to throw broccoli stalks away. And I'm in love with my immersion blender (sorta).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this looks really comforting AND nutritious!! I bet your potato soup was wonderful, I LOVE homemade potato soup!! And you could both slurp and be thankful that you weren't killed in the blizzard, yikes! Seems everyone has a turkey story, yours is a no-turkey story! And a very cool one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story and I look forward to making this easy and fresh soup! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a story! I'm guessing Texas pretty much shuts down when there is a storm like that one.

    I'm afraid my family would be so disappointed if I didn't make a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

    Wonderful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even with potato soup you made a meal memorable :-). Your soup this year sounds wonderful and guaranteed to warm the innards. I hope you are enjoying the remainder of the long weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first ever Thanksgiving with no Turkey was back in 2006, when my sister in law ( who is not a good cook at all, sorry it's the truth) decided to cook lamb. But I think it was mutton. When we walked into the house, I almost hurled. The sides were cold carrots that were cooked, but had been sitting out, and a yucky wilted spinach salad. TRAGIC. I'm sure though your non Turkey day was far from this. I just have to have the bird, I would miss all the flavors too much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A no turkey Thanksgiving sounds great to me. I am not a turkey lover. The soup would be much better to me than a cold turkey sandwich. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's nice to have particular dishes that have a memory, such as your soup. Traditions slip in and make us smile. Your soup--then and now--sound delicious.
    Loved your story!

    Dotsie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love soup weather and this is typically how I make soup... with whatever I happen to have on hand. Your turkey-less Thanksgiving dinner made memories!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved the story of your snowy Thanksgiving. Sounds like your dinner was delicious this year.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  24. While reading I was thinking of just how much it can snow there. I guess the hot soup hit the spot but nothing like leftovers.

    Seems your turkeyless day was still good this year, its all about family anyway.

    Hope you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh,I forgot to say that left overs are over rated. There is just so much turkey one can eat until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my friend, ENJOY THIS I WILL! It looks divine, almost better than any thanksgiving dinner I could have. It sounds perfect for the days or weeks after thanksgiving. LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just wonderful, Bonnie. Thanks for a great recipe and, just as important, a great method that can be applied to other soup combinations.

    Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nothing makes a good soup like leftovers waiting for you to use them up;love this post.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.