Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday In My Town: The Artful Garden

Chicago has it's Botanic Gardens.  Crown Point has The Artful Garden.  Both are wonderful.  One is an hour away.  The other is ten minutes away.

The Artful Garden is in a lovely little cottage nestled on a very large city lot.  One approaches the cottage through an iron gate and is greeted with all sorts of garden art and potted plants.  If you continue past the cottage and wind your way to the back garden, there is a pleasant surprise.  The back deck is filled with more lovely plantings that spill over into the backyard.  Garden statuary and plentiful pots entice the novice and master gardener alike.

I've actually taken house guests over to stroll through the lawn and sit on the deck for a spell.

NOTE:  Click on the photos to enlarge.


The garden's 13th Annual Christmas Open House is Friday-Sunday, November 11th-14th.  I've been there most every year, joined by friends from north of Chicago to far south of Crown Point.  We make it an outing that, of course, includes lunch somewhere in town.  We always save room for tasty refreshments served while we shop in the cozy little cottage.  If you are in, or anywhere near Crown Point, come on up, down or over.  You won't be disappointed!


Come on through the garden gate.


Any of this group would love to follow you home.


Lying down on the job!


Inside it looks, sounds and smells like Christmas.  Those crooked trees came home with me but I have it on very good authority there are more.


I love these candles.  They turn a regular candleholder into a striking focal point.




As it says, this collection is joyful!


This wreath keeps calling to me.  I may have to answer!!


This happy soul would make one smile at snow!

Hope to see you there!




22 comments:

  1. Those places are great to bring you in teh mood for festive season.You captured it really well;) Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a fun place to visit, I'm sure you all have a great time:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those candles are amazing! They would be interesting to burn. Looks like a wonderful tradition you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely Christmas bazaar. The wreath is calling my name too. I would, as my husband would say, "have" to have it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I love outings like this...they're always so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so cute..i love things like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cool and fun. What a great place to be able to visit and I love making traditions like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bottle tree in the courtyard! Thank you for taking us along on your outing, I so enjoyed it. I do love those trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a beautiful garden and one I would love to visit. it is rare for me to find something i want in a gift
    shop, but those candles are just fantastic. i love them. i would love to wander and look and smell that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great place! I think you need to answer the call of that wreath. It speaks to me too! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bonnie, What a neat place...The Artful Garden looks like a place I'd love to visit... IF we ever get back to Crown Point, we'll come this time of year!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO festive!!!
    I need to get into the mood for the holidays!! I always have trouble with Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for letting me shop here, since I can't go myself. Maybe you will show us where you are putting the crooked trees?? That would be cool. Hey, go back and buy the wreath, it is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does put you into the spirit of things. How awesome would it be to have Christmas year round? It is my favorite holiday! Thanks for sharing your adventure in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I wish I could go to your garden; looks wonderful and gets you in the mood for That Special Time.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. what nice look all! Christmas is near!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like great fun! I couldn't help but notice the bottle tree. I love leaning Christmas trees. They seem very seussical. I know you will tell us about lunch and refreshments? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun! I especially love those incredible candles!
    Thanks for taking us inside:)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Artful Garden looks to be a place to find all kinds of interesting things!! Love your crooked trees and I'm wondering if that wreath is still calling. ;) blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie, so good to meet you. What a gorgeous place you have posted today. My hubby and I lived once in South Holland, and had friends living in Crown Point. My very best friend is from Chicago, but lives near me now in NC. I moved here in the summer from TN, near Bristol, VA. It's a small world, isn't it? I'm going to add your blog to my friend's links. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. How pretty! There may even be snow on it as I am typing this. Not quite ready for the white stuff, as much as I love it, because we are still helping some farmers get their corn out of the field. ACK!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great place! Your crooked trees are adorable. I am trying VERY hard not to add to my Christmas collection this year.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.