Saturday, December 3, 2011

Charleston News and Courier-December 3, 1986

Twenty-five years!  No wonder this newspaper clipping is yellowed and grainy.  I came across it as I was cleaning out some drawers and going through photos.  It doesn't seem that long ago that I was preparing for this photo shoot for the Wednesday food section.  I do remember that I was a little warm in my wool skirt and sweater--hot enough to make my hair frizz!  And, yes, that is my natural color.

I had been asked to share some of my favorite holiday recipes, some of which I'd taught in several classes at a local gourmet shop over the years.  I still use a number of these recipes today and thought it would be fun to share some of them with you.


Let's start with Pate From the Kitchen.  It's a recipe that is ideal for most folks, especially those who don't care for traditional pate.  It features finely ground, cooked chicken.  No liver!  

Pate From the Kitchen (pictured above right)

1 1/2 cups finely ground cooked chicken (I prefer thighs as they are moister but breasts work just fine).
1 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1/4 cup chopped green onions or chives
2 Tbsp finely chopped crystalized ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp white or red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream

1.  Combine all the ingredients except the sour cream and blend thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2.  Shape into a crescent, oval, circle or place in a ramekin.  Frost with the sour cream and garnish with a "wreath" of parsley and a "bow" of pimento.
3.  This freezes nicely.  Leave off the sour cream frosting and wrap tightly.  Defrost in the refrigerator, frost with the sour cream and serve.

ENJOY

23 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were a celebrity!! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to share this; love this recipe; my husband does not care for liver and your pâté will will be perfect. You were ahead of your time with that ginger; nice touch. Thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this sounds like my kind of pate. I am not a liver person! What fun to visit with your past!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Rita, you were ahead of your time with the ginger. ; )

    This sounds really good. I too prefer thighs over breasts! I just don't get how everyone doesn't recognize how moist and delicious are those thighs!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cute post:) I have the same kind of hair that frizzes in humidity..albeit so much older hair now..
    You look so sweet and nice..I bet you have not changed that much:)

    Thank you.
    Love this post.So personal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun walk down memory lane it must have been to find this article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I love your photo in the newspaper article. Such a beautiful smile... still the same!

    I love pate... especially the liver variety! LOL! This sounds like it would suit ALL the finickies, too. ;) Thank you. I'm looking forward to those Walnut -Cheese goodies! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cherished blast from the past. Many of the recipes we used back in the day are classics! When I was back East this summer my hair looked like Alfred Einstein in the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful photo, and so many memories. who knew you were FAMOUS. thanks for letting us see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family doesn't care for chicken livers (I love them!) and I'm sure they would like this version of pate. It's even better that it can be made ahead and frozen. It's time to start thinking about party food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you! And it sounds like a really good pate. Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is sweet and no doubt, a lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm friends with a celebrity and didn't even know it!!! You look just so cute in this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie, LOVE that photo of you --even though it was 25 yrs. ago... That is AWESOME to be asked for your favorite Christmas recipes...

    Please continue to share more of your favorites...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're famous! :) I love the pate...I'm not a liver lover, so this is a perfect spread for me. Sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH,Bonnie, how fun to say that I know a newspaper celebrity!! How exciting!!

    1986 was the year I got married...you've taken me back to my first December as a married woman...really fun memories!!

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun! You're famous! Such a cute photo too. And this is an interesting pâté; don't think I've ever seen one made with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were as lovely then as you are now and you are still sharing great recipes. The pate looks grand and I really like the ease with which it can be assembled. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Loved seeing the clipping and your recipes. I think your hair looks great! I personally love chicken liver but it certainly doesn't agree with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seeing this newspaper clipping. Ah, sometimes cleaning out those drawers pays off.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your look so pretty in this news article, Bonnie!

    Your variation of pate sounds wonderful, and more healthy with the addition of almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am impressed, cheeks all a glow, we will keep your secret.

    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never ever never get in front of a camera, i stand off to the side and snap photos of the nook, sometimes my arm will be in and i crop it out.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.