Monday, December 5, 2011

Walnut-Cheese Cocktail Cookies

We met friends in Skokie on Saturday to see "Season's Greetings" at the Northlight Theatre.  It was a fun little farce with a stellar cast and a beautifully decorated English manor house as the setting.  We then went on to dinner at Convito Italiano in Wilmette where I indulged in their always well prepared liver and onions.  It is a treat that I don't attempt at home.  It was a warm and holiday-spirited day despite the rain that was with us going and coming.

It put us in the mood to decorate so we hauled out boxes of sparkling ornaments yesterday afternoon.  Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops played Christmas music in the background and, with Oliver's "help" we finished in time to prepare dinner and enjoy the tree.


We told Oliver the children would all be home this year.
He's watching for them to arrive!

I want so share another recipe with you from that faded newspaper article of yore.  It has been a favorite since it appeared in the San Diego Union decades ago.  

Walnut-Cheese Cocktail Cookies (sorry, no photo as I haven't made them yet--don't worry, Stefan, I will)

1/2 pound butter, cold and cut into 16 pieces
2 cups sifted flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups grated, extra sharp cheddar
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

1.  Put the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor.  Sprinkle the cold butter on top and process, in short bursts, until the mixture looks like cornmeal.  Remove to a large bowl and stir in the cheese and walnuts.  Press the mixture together quickly and roll into two logs, each about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.  Wrap and chill or, wrap well and freeze for up to a month.
2.  If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator as they need to be cut cold.
3.  Preheat oven to 350.
4.  Cut the logs into approximately 1/4 inch slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes just until the edges are lightly browned.
5.  Cool and store in an airtight container.  They improve with age.

ENJOY

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day. Liver and onions...YUM. Last time I ate that was with my new blogger friend Diana Strawser and her husband in Montana. I do not make it at home either, but I do love it. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one I am going to do, YUM.
    Bless Ollie's heart, he is so cute. LOVE your tree, beautiful..is it real?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love the photo of Ollie and the ornament. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to make a savory cookie for this holiday season. I see and hear about them everywhere but I am so in love with my sweet cookies I always forget to kick things up a notch and try something new. This I am trying- I have to- it sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe does intrigue, quite unusual but definitely has some wonderful ingredients.
    Dogs do have patience when it comes to waiting for someone's arrival-Ollie needs to have his own special window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your evening out sounds totally lovely!! And the walnut-cheese cocktail cookies sound delish. My husband is allergic to walnuts, though, so I would probably have to use pecans instead...or use walnuts and keep them all for myself!!

    Oliver sure is a cutie!!!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hae always loved these savoury little treats. The ones I used to make have cayenne and the oldest Cheddar I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a this kind of cookie; I am always looking for something new to prepare as an app. Thank you for the wishes.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good. But I mostly love the picture of doggie looking out the window by the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were getting closer to where we lived! (up the lake two more towns) .. it's nice your kids will be home for Christmas --makes the decorating all the sweeter! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, it sounds like you had a fun day and dinner at a great restaurant. The huge variety of theaters around here is great and bet it was a good performance. I have to try your cocktail cookies during the holidays---they sound like a winner. And I bet Oliver can hardly wait to see everyone. It's almost 3:00 here now and it snowed an hour ago---huge flakes. Pretty but gone now and brrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sound like a great treat for a holiday party!

    Hope all is well.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these! I posted a very similar recipe at the end of October but that recipe had cayenne pepper in them. Nothing like a great, cheesey cracker and the walnuts add a wonderful crunch. Great appy for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We really enjoy these types of crackers.. never made any w/ walnuts..Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH, those walnut-cheese cookies sound divine!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Bonnie. I also love liver and onions, but do not make it at home anymore. I hardly ever find it on a menu, but if I do, it's my order! ;)

    You must be so very excited to have Oliver watching for all the children to come home for Christmas! A real Christmas gift! blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cookies sound wonderful. Liver and onions...not so much ;-) Glad you enjoyed yours though. I've been baking and going crazy. Guess that's why I'm trying to catch up at 3:25 a.m., 2:25 your time. I'm going to wish I lived ten miles north when I need that extra hour of sleep later today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We always play Christmas music when we decorate the tree, too. :) Snacking on these crackers (with perhaps an adult beverage) at the same time would make a delightful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've eaten something similar to this and they are fabulous and addictive. Make a lot of these, because you'll turn around and they're gone!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds wonderful, Bonnie. I would love a savory little cookie with a nice glass of wine. I'm just getting my tree up too and it's definitely starting to feel like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It does sound good. I grew up eating liver and onions, My mom's was the best...we didn't know we weren't supposed to like it until we heard from other kids! Love the photo od your dog. We have to leave space behind our tree in front of the window because that is our dog's space...tree or no tree that's where he lays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sound both simple and delicious. I suspect we'll be making this at some point during the holiday. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cookie recipe looks delicious! And I love that pretty ornament with just a glimpse of Oliver. I do hope you are going to show us the whole tree??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh those cookies look fabulous, Bonnie. Thanks for the recipe...

    Glad you got the decorating done... I'm sure that Oliver helped.

    Glad also that the kids will be home for Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful evening you had! And these cookies? Too good. Oliver is so sweet, as well. He's ready for them to be home. With colder days and nights, I find myself wanting to be in the kitchen more and more. Thank you for giving me another recipe to try. I hope you are enjoying the bustle of the season. Much love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm gonna make these...perfect for cocktails or sweet tea:)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.