Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Herb and Three-Cheese Quiche

When we lived in La Jolla, Piret's, George and Piret Munger's delightful restaurant in San Diego, was one of our favorite places to dine.  We frequently used it for "date" nights when we could secure a babysitter for our toddler and infant.  On occasion, I'd strap the little boys into car seats and head over to pick up slices of their herb and three cheese quiche.  On one visit, I picked up their cookbook and, happily, found the recipe.  It has been a favorite ever since.


We prefer our quiche in the French style--a little less than an inch thick so the custard bakes instead of steams.  However, it works well in an American-style 9 inch crust.  If you use the deeper pie shell, it may need to bake a bit longer.


It proved to be a hit with the birthday ladies and I hope you'll enjoy it as well.


Herb and Three-Cheese Quiche from Piret's

1/2 pound cream cheese
3 Tbsp flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup light cream
4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch chives, finely chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped scallions
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Blend the cream cheese, flour, eggs, sour cream. salt, pepper, milk and cream until smooth.  Set aside.
2.  Sprinkle the Swiss cheese, chopped herbs and Parmesan in a pastry-lined (I did a classic pate brisee because I have better luck than with a classic American pie crust) 11-inch quiche pan. 
3.  Fill with the custard mixture and bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven until the custard sets, about 45 minutes.

ENJOY!

33 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever made a quiche, Bonnie! But this looks so good, and easy! I printed it out and will be trying it. So I can use a 9 inch pie pan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a yummy quiche recipe.

    I loved your idea of getting The Perfectly Imperfect Home as a house warming gift ... especially with your picture tucked in. So fun.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds amazing. Of course, I am always looking for new recipes to utilize herbs from my herb garden. Often DH and I enjoy a lighter dinner with just a small salad. I think he would really like this. I am anxious to prepare this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another delicious-sounding quiche! I could eat them once a week I enjoy them so much and there are so many different ways to prepare them - so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any recipe that starts out with a half a pound of cream cheese is for me!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very good! I enjoy making quiche - and eating them! LOL!!! I'll have to give your's a try! I think of them as such an elegant ladies luncheon too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been yearning for a quiche lately. This recipe look excellent. I usually learn something on your blog as I did today (what makes it a French quiche).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore quiches like this. Fresh and flavorful. I wish I wasn't going to class so I could go home and make this instead! Thank you for sharing such a yummy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I may make this and take it to school. It would be a great treat for my friends. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quiche sounds great and your crust is beautiful:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. La Jolla is so beautiful. Quiches always look so fancy to me. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pie! Quiches are a favorite of mine, although I sometimes have a tendency overstuffing them with goodies instead of just letting the cheese and eggs star. Will do better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never put cream cheese in my quiches..Grand thought!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie, Looks like a wonderful quiche. I like quiche --and after my hernia surgery, quiche was one thing which tasted really good to me.

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! A quiche with cream cheese! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often have quiche when I go out for lunch. I could always make individual ones at home that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so good, Bonnie! It brought back memories of my quiche obsession in the 70s!! LOL! I felt so 'fancy' making them. LOL! At that point in my life, I could make a crust without ever having to glance at a recipe. I do remember my favorite had a bit of cream cheese in it. Oh, the days of quiche and libfraumilche (sp??). ;) I am going to have to try your delicious recipe! Thank you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am with ginny, never made one, but i am different and never will, no cooking allowed is my motto. but if i were close enough i would eat this for you right away. looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this recipe... I cannot wait to try it out for my next brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmmm, looks delicious. Who says real men don't eat Quiche, mine does!!!

    Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    God bless and have a phenomenal day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie thos look dleicious, love quiches!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonnie, this looks and sounds delicious.I love the herbs used here. They make your "pie" unique. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. I missed this one. This looks like something I can do and something hubby would eat. Thanks for posting this.

    HOPE you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love quiche for a quick dinner sometimes- this one is beautiful and sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am going to make that for my ladies brunch that I have been invited to. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent! I am printing this out! Looks wonderful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds wonderful I love when you get a recipe that you can use for years

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gosh I love quiche, but haven't had one in a very long time. Looks delicious Bonnie and I like the bit of Parmesan on top too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love quiches and this look amazing!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hmmm - looks absolutely glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love quiche and have been craving it all week, so I'm going to give this recipe a try. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ooh I love quiche and this one looks particularly great!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.