Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tartine

When we were in California last spring, Tartine Bakery and Cafe was high on our list of places to visit.  In fact, we could hardly wait to enjoy a late breakfast or early lunch.  Thinking we were being smart with the timing, we arrived at the geographic center of San Francisco (18th and Guerrero Streets) at 10 a.m. to find a line snaking out of a non-descript building.  Four and five abreast, it meandered at least a block.

Had we not been left on the street by our son, off to find a nearly impossible parking space, we might have been inclined to find another option for our meal.  He was beyond recall so we got in line and waited and waited and, well, waited.  The closer we got, the more delicious the aromas became.  After awhile, nothing could have stopped us from staying on the quest for a table and food.  Some folks were going in and coming out with steaming cups of coffee to sip and wait.  As I recall, it took us about half an hour to finally get inside.  Every table was filled.  Adam still wasn't back from parking the car.  Undaunted, we grabbed a menu and got in line.  Of course, the line halted right in front of the bakery case.  Oh my goodness!  We were faced with an array of lovely breads and sweets.


I kept an eye on the door for Adam who was still not back from parking the car.  He walked in the door just as we got to the spot to order.  After we gave our order, three spaces at a table appeared.


I couldn't resist the Croque Monsieur.  The open-faced Niman Ranch ham and gruyere sandwich was topped with perfectly cooked asparagus and napped in a bechamel sauce.  It was delicious!


The Baker had the same sandwich and a side of a beautiful and delicious croissant.


This was Adam's treat.  I can't remember what it was.  I can remember it was delicious!


Of course, our special treat was spending time with this boy!!

I'll be back later in the week to give you the recipe for my delicious birthday cake that The Baker made for me from the Tartine cookbook.

27 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place, Bonnie. BUT even better than the food had to have been being with your son... What a handsome young man!!!!!

    I would love that sandwich --and croissant of course...

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a great time...time with loved ones is always cherished times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my this looks so delicious!!! I'm so glad you were left on the street to wait, else you may have left!!! So glad to see a photo of your handsome son,too!! What could be better than wonderful food shared with our children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! You are GOOD, Bonnie! It WAS Rowe's !!! Right off the interstate, you know. The dreaded 81!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only ever been there once, and that is why :( The waiting in line, and the impossible parking situation has kept me from their yummy treats :( I think you would have to take a taxi there early. I have the book too, but haven't made anything from it yet.
    They do have another restaurant called "Bar Tartine." I have eaten there once, and it was very good as well. I think it is in the mission district.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great outing, you have a very handsome son , I can't wait to see the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like quite an adventure!
    foods looks good too.

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best part of travel are the food memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i will take Adams treat and hubby's croissant, I am a bread gal. yes Ollie would be beautiful in pencil. send me his pic and i will try it to see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great place! I love the pics of the food! Your son is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to tell my nephew about this place. They live near San Fran. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, that sandwich looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gem of a place; love to find something special and out of the ordinary. Nice to have your son with you; sometimes, things jsut weem to work out. Have a nice week.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, absolutely, spending time with your beloved son was the real highlight of that day...the delicious food was just the icing on the cake.

    I love croissants. They make any sandwich even better!!

    I'm thrilled that you finally got a chance to watch "Casablanca,"...my #2 movie of all time. I am thinking I'm about due for a re-watch. It's been about a year since I've seen it, and I am going into withdrawals. SO glad you enjoyed it.

    Have a lovely day.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like the long wait was worth it! Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  16. A special day both in terms of food and company :) Can't wait to hear about your birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tartine is on my bucket list of places I want to visit. I'm so jealous but happy that you for to experience it and have such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would be tempted to join a line at a restaurant like that if I had the time, thinking there would be a reason for the crowd. Sounds like you found that reason and everything worked perfectly re. the timing, etc! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photographs and descriptions are making my mouth water, Bonnie!! And, the only thing better than wonderful food is spending time with precious children! Your Adam is a handsome young man. If ever I find myself back in SF, I'll be seeking out Tartine! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a treat! And even better that you got to share it with your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely meal and well worth the wait. However, my husband isn't as patient as yours....
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely worth the wait, Bonnie. Both for the goodies AND to spend time with Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like a wonderful lunch and the company could not be beat. I'm amazed the Baker was willing to que for that length of time. Hang on to him. He's a treasure. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Was wondering about the cake he baked you.

    Looks like the wait was well worth it.

    Outstanding handsome guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Catching up with you dear Bonnie.
    Apart from all your delicious recipes and mouth watering photographs which I love....just look at that handsome boy!!! Well he's a man really but you know what I mean.
    Big Hugs
    June xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.