Monday, February 6, 2012

OUT WITH THE SWEET AND IN WITH THE SOUR - Pickled Vegetables

Christmas comes but once a year.  Therefore, it is never too early to start thinking about food and gifts.  Sometimes those two thoughts merge into one.

For years, my basket of "treats" for guests to take home or for me to take as a guest has been orange marmalade.  This past Christmas, I decided a change was in order when I found this recipe in Southern Living.

I'm posting it now for three reasons.  It's a tasty treat to have in the refrigerator.  It's a tasty treat to take as a thank you when invited to dinner.  Lastly, I found out last week that my friend's husband had really liked the pickled vegetables and, since Christmas, had just been adding additional vegetables to the brine in the jar I'd gifted them with.  Well, Steve, now you can start out fresh.


Winter Vegetables Pickled as inspired by Southern Living Magazine

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. black peppercorns
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
8 cups of assorted vegetables cut into about 1 1/2 inch pieces

1.  Bring the first seven ingredients and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large, non-aluminum, saucepan, stirring until the sugar and salt is dissolved.  Boil for one minute.  Allow to stand for several hours.

2.  In the meantime, cook the vegetables, in batches, in boiling water to cover for 1 to 2 minutes depending on the vegetable and your desired crispness.  Remove to a cold water bath to stop the cooking process and drain well.

3.  Place the vegetables into a large bowl.  Heat the warm vinegar mixture until a few bubbles appear and pour over the vegetables and let stand for one hour.  Store in airtight containers and cover with the liquid.  Chill overnight.  The pickled vegetables will keep for about two weeks refrigerated.

ENJOY!

28 comments:

  1. I needed this so bad, I went nuts at the farmers market and purchased some pickling cucumbers but did not have a recipe on how to pickle them. This will work I do believe.

    Hope your day is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,
    This looks wonderful! I see Cauliflower and peppers and carrots. What else did you use? I just did a copy and paste.....
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol: I used red peppers, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and brussels sprouts. I've also used summer squash, expecially the miniature ones, celery. garlic cloves and radishes.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything pickled and appreciate your recipe! Also, the header photo is gorgeous -- it almost looks like a still-life painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love pickled beets and pickled peaches so these look super delish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I would never have thought of trying this, but since it's savory I could enjoy it. Definitely do not like sweet pickles--they send a chill down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These came out just beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I love the LOOK of evrything pretty and colorful in a jar..Lovely~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pic is beautiful and the recipe sounds great-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie, I love pickled veggies and you chose some of my fav's (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, etc..) YUM..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved pickled veggies since I was a child and even used to have pickled onion sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, my mother used to make picked beets, onions and eggs. I loved them. She had a garden out back and so made good use of all the veggies she grew. I have actually been thinking of pickling vegetables recently.

    Hope you are enjoying your day.
    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the best gift giver, Bonnie!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Looks like a keeper for this house! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea, Bonnie. If I have a jar of these in the fridge I know I will get more veggies into my diet. And what a terrific healthy snack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitly try your 'Pickled Vegetables'....oh thanks! This will be just what we need to turn away from the sweets and eat better. We like to snack a bit too often around here. Thats part of retirement??=(.

    My eyes opened wide when I saw your header picture of (here goes for guessing at the spelling) pomagranites. close huh?? =) I've been making juice out of them by pureeing them in the blender and straining the seed bits out. I love the flavor but not those grindee little seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. whoops...forgot to say, bravo for your son, mastering the cello. It is a beautifull instrument....I took lessons as an adult for almost 6 years and love it. Just play at home and with friends though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see about 8 of my friends here so I thought I'd come by.

    I haven't had those pickled veggies in years.

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice mix of veggies in there and a nice giftie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to try these, they sound wonderful, Bonnie! Pickled winter bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love pickled veggies. I wish you would send me some! LOL! They are perfect for in sauces and stews and on sandwiches! Yours look amazing in those jars

    ReplyDelete
  21. that's a great idea. i do some pickling with cabbage when i make kimchi, but that's about it. time to go further.(: this recipe is going to be great, i like how you use different vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks wonderful! One year, my Mom and I collected beautiful bottles, and made flavored Kahlua's and flavored oils as gifts. It was such fun!
    I love to give a "cook" a gift like that!!! Hey, I missed your previous couple of posts too. My blog roll is NOT updating properly and I am missing some good stuff out there! I too have oodles of cookbooks. Just oodles!!! I will go visit your friend now at her blog. Have a wonderful day!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also like picked vegetables! I often buy a jar as a condiment, but I really should take the time to make them. I like this recipe as apple cider vinegar is not too sour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great blog, I love your recipes and post!
    I´m your new follower.
    I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you enjoy it.
    I have a google traslator, so you can read without problems!
    Kisses from Spain ^^
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good looking jars of pickles! What are the red vegetables?

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only you could make pickles looking this good; i pinned this one; I love to have something unusual to give my kids when they come to visit and certainly is perfect.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alessandra: Those are red peppers (capsicum).

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.