Monday, March 26, 2012

Beet, Orange and Onion Salad

I'm a season rusher as far as food is concerned.  There!  Confession is good for the soul.  Right now, I'm thinking of early mornings at farmers' markets.  I can't wait for my herb pots to burst forth in leafy delicious splendor.  I want to clean up the Weber barbecue (the old-fashioned one that Ina Garten and I use--the kind that gives food a charcoal taste because it cooks with charcoal) and grill something.  I must admit that we rarely barbecue but it is a rite of spring that needs fulfilling.

I'm pulling out the salad recipes.  They are in a basket with the hot soup recipes--just in case the weather turns one way or the other, I'm prepared.

I saw Ina Garten prepare this beet salad for herself when Geoffrey was away for the weekend.  She made several other dishes that have escaped my memory but I make this salad over and over.  I recall that, after she made her "comfort" foods, she met a friend for some "retail therapy".  What a great way to spend a weekend!

Our grocery store had blood oranges and mineola oranges, many of which came home with me to use in this salad.  If you can't find them, naval oranges are a good choice.




Beet, Orange and Onion Salad inspired by Ina Garten

2 15oz cans of baby beets, drained
2 Tbsp raspberry vinegar 
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp chopped scallions, using some of the green tops
2 large oranges.

1.  Put the drained beets into a large bowl and add the vinegar, olive oil and scallions.
2.  Zest the two oranges and add to the beets.
3.  Over a small bowl to catch the juices, peel and cut the oranges into segments.  Add to the beets along with the collected juice.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. I am happier just thinking about this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say beets are one of my least favorite vets...not sure why ... And when I grew up I decided never to make them, which means my kids have been deprived of a healthy food. Shame on me. This actually looks good, so I would definitely try it if you served it to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know I meant to say veg not vet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks good to me, i love beets. and go for the rushing things, it is spring and you are allowed to rush.. permission granted by MadSnapper

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is yummy!Our family would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really really healthy...did you know eating beets helps prevent cancer? My friend's cancer came back, and she went out and bought tons of beets and started eating them. Presently she got very ill. Turns out she had overdosed on beets!! This is a strange little story and I'm not really going anywhere with it, just thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious...and beautiful as well. The colors combine so perfectly together.

    Hope you're off to a great week.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks so refreshing and perfect for this beautiful weather we are having

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an interesting combination of flavors! thanks for the new twist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's add another one to our list. I can't imagine using another barbecue other than the trusty Weber. We actually had to get another one. And I love beets. I keep thinking our Farmer's Market will open any weekend now. Roger tells me I am rushing it. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful salad that is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I have all the ingredients in my pantry/ fridge. I will be making this salad in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely creation. It sounds delicious and really is perfect for a light spring meal. Your photo today is a stunner. I'd enlarge and frame it. It has an Asian sensibility that I really like. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    By the way---I have dibs on the last apple. I called it first:-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband loves beets and I have some navel oranges and red onions....think I will give this a try today. Thanks so much!

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at orange! That sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd have to make this for myself when my husband is away - just like Ina :) He hates beets! I love them. This sounds like a delicious salad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I liked beets - the only way I like them is when I made them into a hummus, and the tahini almost drowned out the beet taste - it looked pretty and tasted great!

    You might like it!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/04/18/bsi-beets/

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic salad;beets and oranges; that is going on my Recipes I Must Try Board. Thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.