Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cod Chowder

Lulled into thinking only warm weather ahead, we were unpleasantly surprised by a few cold and blustery days.  Of course, this is the weather that we are used to and we should not feign shock when it presents itself.  The downside of this is that the asparagus was also lulled into thinking it was time to rear its pretty little green spears and got a surprise coating of frost.  Undaunted, it continues to spring up and the pickers are a month away from arriving.  Our only hope is that our small local farmers are out in the field keeping an eye (and maybe a warm blanket?) on the growth.  I've also heard that we might have a shortage of fruit as the peach and cherry trees are wondering what to do.  The upside is that soup needed to be on the menu for awhile longer.  There was some cod in the freezer that needed using and we enjoyed a bowl of chowder for dinner last evening.  It's quite delicious and I hope you'll give it a try.


Early Spring Cod Chowder


2 slices bacon, finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 rib celery diced
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 pound potatoes, diced
1 cup chicken broth
1 (8-10 ounce) bottle clam broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound frozen cod, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup half-and-half

1.  Heat a large heavy pot over medium heat and add the bacon.  Cook until the bacon is crispy and brown, stirring most of the time.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper towel and reserve.  Leave the drippings in the pot.
2.  Add the onion, celery, thyme and bay leaf to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.  Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes.
3.  Add the potatoes, chicken broth and clam juice and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
4.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add the cod and corn.  Simmer for 5 minutes more.  Remove the pot from the heat and cover allowing the cod to finish cooking.
5.  Return the chowder to low heat and stir in the half-and-half until just heated.
6.  Sprinkle the reserved bacon over and serve.

ENJOY!

26 comments:

  1. My husband's fav soup, which he usually gets out of a can...or in a restaurant. But I could make this. We've had one nicely cool, normal spring weather day but today the heat returns. One does wonder how this will affect our produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. during our cold snap yesterday, we got up to 63 instead of 67 and went to 76 instead of 86, we had 15 bean soup....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect muse for these in-between days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful and warming. It's a perfect soup for cusp weather.Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Bonnie, it sounds and looks delish! And, I agree, very warming and comforting on these cold days.

    I have 16 fruit trees (used to have 19, but we've lost 3 in the last couple years). Some years we don't get a harvest at all because the freezing temps hit again after the trees have blossomed. No blossoms yet, though...so nothing to freeze.

    Have a great day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had some of those soup days, mixed in with our unseasonably warm weather. This soup looks perfect for those days which I know are not yet gone away for the season. We're getting asparagus here as well, and I have to say that it's one perk of an early spring that I enjoy. Like you, though, I hope there are no ill effects from the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this cod chodwer look nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have never had any cod chowder, only tuna and salmon. I would love to try this, yours would be the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mouth is watering... and i've just eaten a huge dinner... I love a good fish soup and this really beats them hands down... I love it. It is gloriously sunny here in London today and very warm, although they tell us that winter is returning at the weekend so I may have to make a bowl of this yummy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have any leftovers? I'll be over shortly! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh just lovely. I love all the flavors in this chowder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As much as I love Clam Chowder, I'm sure I'd also love Cod Chowder... Thanks!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some fish in the freezer that a friend caught. I want to try this soup. Thanks for another great recipe.

    I am one of those wierdos that is glad the cooler weather is back. :-)

    Your house always sounds fun, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the idea of using cod in a chowder. We are chowder lovers and this one is a must try.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uhmmmm, se ve delicioso.
    Me encanta la receta :D
    Un besito
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just saying I saw where you found peeps with chocolate on the bottom - yum! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for this recipe. I make a lot of soup but have never ventured into cod soup. I have copied this recipe and will try it Friday..can't use the bacon though...and that might make it not as food...i'll try seasoned croutons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weather keeps us on our toes. Just got back to Lake Lure and the winter winds have wrecked havoc with the yard; leaves and twigs everywhere. A bowl of soup like yours would taste good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your chowder looks wonderful! What a great way to kick off spring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Believe it or not, I was just looking at a cod chowder in my soup cookbook today! I made a different recipe but I'm coming back to this one when I'm ready to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMMY looking. I love chowders.

    Your weather made news over here even. We were having tons of rain, as you guys were basking in the sunshine. Right now is typical spring weather, stop and start with the sun and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bonnie,
    thanks for stopping Monkey Grass Hill the other day. Yes, I'm local to DC.

    Your soups look soooo yummy.
    Nice to "meet" you.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love chowders and this looks like a fairly simple recipe. I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. couldn't make this soup today as planned..had frozen fish sandwiches..is that a sin if you're a cook?!
    Thank you so much for your thoughts today. i appreciate you being my blogging friend.
    happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even though we had five very warm days, our weather has returned to cold and windy days. Your chowder would be a perfect meal for lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are experiencing the crazy weather ups and down here too, Bonnie. Way too much rain brings lots of flooding problems. It is definitely soup weather here too, and fish chowder is always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.