Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Irish Porridge

"Let broth boil slowly,
but let porridge make a noise."
(Irish Proverb)

Porridge is one of the oldest dishes served in Ireland.  It is usually made from rolled, crushed or steel-cut oats and is one of the first foods served to infants.  In some homes, porridge is the staple of breakfast, bubbling away as the family wakens.  At times, it appears on the supper table.

The Baker and I enjoy porridge (we call it oatmeal) at least once a week for breakfast.  With golden raisins, real maple syrup and milk stirred in and toasted walnuts or pecans sprinkled on top, it is the perfect start to a day.

I couldn't resist a wee bit of orange!


Irish Porridge


4 cups water
1 cup steel-cut Irish Oatmeal
1/4 tsp salt

1.  Bring the water to a boil and spinkle the oatmeal in stirring well.  Add Salt.
2.  Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.  Serve with brown sugar or maple syrup, milk, chopped and toasted nuts, fruit--whatever your taste calls for!
This recipe serves four.  Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated.

ENJOY

18 comments:

  1. I have been into steel cut oats all winter. I even brought some into work for my co-worker. I tried the overnight method, but we prefer the stove top way best. I add some chai spices while it's cooking and we all can add what we like. It's nice that the extras can keep in the fridge for a few days. Yours looks fabulously good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried steel cut oats, and your recipe puts me in the mood to give them a try. Looks good!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, Bonnie! I see so many recipes I am going to have to catch up on when the frenzy dies down! blessings ~ tanna
    ps - glad to see there was sugar in your mom's birthday cornbread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like my oatmeal with a little butter, a sweet n low package, and extra thick with tiny bit of milk and dried cherries cooked in it or raisins. have never heard of steel cut, i just buy quaker oats at walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often eat oatmeal or cereal for dinner. :) And sprinkle raw oatmeal on yogurt or in baked goods whenever I can. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good way To start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steel Cut Oats are so much better for you than the regular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love steel cut oats. We have eaten them for years. A very hearty way to begin the day.

    Blessings to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had steel cut oats in ages - I'll need to fix that!

    Hope you are enjoying our weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love oatmeal. We have it every Sunday. I love to load it with apples and walnuts or sometimes just a handful of blueberries. It is the perfect meal on a cold morning. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delicious-looking bowl of goodness! We love oatmeal too but I don't think of using the steel cut oats - must try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy Oatmeal also, Bonnie.. I have been eating mine with a couple of spoonfuls of unsweetened apple sauce on it... Delicious...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I mix steel cut oats with whole oats. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We enjoy steel cut oats several times a week. But today, I would like to me having my bowl ... in Dublin, or Belfast. Want to join me, Bonnie?

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds wonderful. I love oatmeal and eat it often. Next time I'll try it with your additions. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, porridge! I can never have enough of it. I never thought about adding milk, though, I will try next time. Thanks for sharing! - Barbara:-)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.