Monday, March 12, 2012

Irish Steak

Actually, the steak is a N.Y. strip but the preparation is deliciously Irish!!

Don't despair of us having a corned beef on the St. Patrick's Day table.  After all, we need the leftovers for The Baker's famous Puffed Reubens after the holiday feast.

In the meantime, we needed something quite delicious to stand up to the colcannon (see previous post) and this steak did just that.


Gaelic Steak


2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 NY strip steaks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large shallot, minced
4 ounces mushrooms (crimini, shitake or a mixture), sliced
1 tsp honey
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 Tbsp Irish whiskey 
3/4 cup beef stock
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper


1.  Heat butter and oil together in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2.  Add the steaks and saute 3-4 minutes on each side for rare to medium rare (or to taste).
Transfer to a warm plate and cover.  Place in warm oven while finishing the dish.
3.  Add the garlic, shallot and mushrooms to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes.
4.  Stir in the honey and mustard and cook for another minute.
5.  Add the whiskey and stock, raise the heat and and cook until reduced in half, about 5 minutes.
6.  Lower the heat a bit and stir in the cream.  Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and leave on low heat while preparing the steaks.
7.  Slice the steaks, on the diagonal, about 1/4 inch thick.  Add back to the sauce until just heated through.  


ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. you are killing me with all this beautiful food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, very interesting. And it looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new one on me, is it common in Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I'd much rather have this than corned beef. The sauce looks so rich and delicious and I love anything to do with mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd like the whiskey in this recipe better than the meat I once prepared with Guinness beer. It was not a good flavor combination. Your steak looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM---That Irish Steak looks delicious... You always offer us so many wonderful recipes, Bonnie... Thanks so much... YUM....

    We are home from our 2nd trip is a month--and both of us have colds.. Yuk! Guess it will be REST for this upcoming week for both of us.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH boy- my mouth is watering big time! I am wishing I had a steak in the house to cook this! Must do it soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it was a great meal! I'm looking forward to corned beef too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie,
    Your Irish Steak looks delicious and I can't wait to give it a try. It is great to meet you and thanks for sharing! Come back to see me real soon.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this looks delicious, I wish you lived closer! I'd invite myself for dinner! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, This looks so beautifully delicious. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,

    This looks absolutely delicious! What a wonderful treat for Saturday. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This totally makes my mouth water --

    ReplyDelete
  14. Irish steak? Now that's something I could love! Not being a beer fan, the whiskey in this would be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.