Monday, March 19, 2012

Reuben Puff Redux

St. Patrick's Day was fine.  The sun came up and stayed around all day.  Since the 17th was on a Saturday this year, the city planned an all-day event.  The city square around the courthouse was cordoned off and food vendors offered corned beef, cabbage and other tasty treats.  There was music playing and dancing in the street.  All day, green-clad neighbors passed by with a friendly hello or wave of the hand.  When the sun set, the parade began and it came right by our house.  More music and dancing ensued.  At 11 p.m., the music stopped and everyone, as far as we could tell, went quietly and peacefully home.

I hope you have some corned beef left over.  These reuben puffs are one of our favorites.  If you don't have leftovers, go to the deli and pick up some corned beef slices.  That's what we did.  Since it was just the two of us, we decided that a whole brisket was more than we wanted.

I've shared this recipe with you before.  Here it is again, especially for any of you who might have missed it the first time around.


Reuben Puffs from a long-ago Chicago Tribune
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 medium onion, minced
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsps Dijon mustard plus additional for spreading on the bread
2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and patted very dry on paper towels
4 egg whites
4 large slices of deli rye bread
8 ounces thinly sliced corned beef

1.  Heat broiler.  Combine cheese, onion, mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl.  Stir in sauerkraut and egg whites (do not beat the egg whites) until well combined.
2.  Spread mustard on one side of bread.  Top each with 1/4 of the corned beef and top that with the cheese mixture spreading evenly over the corned beef to the edge of the bread.
3.  Broil about 10 inches from the heat until puffy and browned.  This will take 5 to 6 minutes.  Watch closely.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very nice SPD and I have no doubt the sandwich is great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reinventing left-overs. This sounds like a great idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great St. Patrick's day for you. This is a great use of leftovers...looks delicious. I need to invest is some corned beef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best way I have seen a reuben done in forever! Love the melted goodness on top and the perfect way to reinvent! YOU ARE GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a great area! the reuben is popular with my husband; looks real good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did miss this recipe! This looks like a super left-over dish.
    We went out..so did no cooking this year. Loved seeing the fun costumes people wore and we were entertained by some teens doing a Riverdance-type routine, in costume. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great to me, glad you enjoyed your day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I celebrated St. Patty's day on Friday with my children. Saturday I found myself in the Emerald City of Oz. It was a great way to end the day. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh MERCY those look wonderful!!!! I didn't make a corned beef for the first time in many years. We had lots of heavy rain, and I never made it to the market!!! I may make one this week though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look and sound amazing, I'm trying these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks Sooo good! I must admit I have NEVER heard of a recipe where you mix egg whites with cheese and broil to make puffy, this is wild!!! I did print it, including the picture, I must try it. And a great idea about the deli!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I happy that you posted the recipe again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Bonnie, I love Corned beef and sauerkraut ---so I would LOVE that sandwich... YUM....

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new header and laughed because I have two empty Pellagrino bottles sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for me to buy some flowers.

    So fun to have such great weather for you fun community event. And the sandwich ... so delicious and easy.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I don't like mayo - do you think I could sub in greek yogurt??

    I will definitely have to make these. Thanks Bonnie - and thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing should tell you what I think of this delicious looking treat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! I Pinned it

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a really nice sandwich. Something different than I've been seeing after St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.