Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Three Feet of Snow and Carrot Soup

Three feet of snow got your attention didn't it?

The three feet of snow was in Tahoe.  That's where our older son and his lovely lady were for the weekend.  The snowfall made for some great snowboarding and skiing.  They were enjoying snow while we were enjoying the mid-80s and no snow.

While the snow was piling up at Tahoe, our grass was turning a vibrant shade of green.  The redbuds were redding.  The magnolias were blossoming (yes, we have magnolias in the midwest).  The azaleas were popping out color.  And the bulbs, oh the bulbs were really getting their acts together.  Deep purple hyacinths are cavorting with daffodils.  Forsythias are rubbing shoulders with japonicas.  Spring is glorious!






























I'm so happy the kids shared this photo with us.  It provides a perfect segue to my lovely hot carrot soup recipe today.  Yes, even in 80+ degrees, we enjoy warm soups.  This particular carrot soup is also quite nice served chilled--just not yet.



















Carrot Soup

1 tsp canola oil 
1 small onion cut into a rough chop
2 tsp ground cumin
5 large carrots, roughly chopped
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
(I used a combination)
1 tsp salt
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp grated orange zest to garnish
Heat the canola oil in a medium-sized pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onion; saute, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until soft and translucent.
Stir in the cumin and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the carrots, stock or broth and salt; simmer partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes or until the carrots are very tender.  Cool slightly and puree with an immersion blender or regular blender.

NOTE:  This soup is delicious served chilled as well.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago we had snow for the first day of spring -- a nice snow -- this year we're getting rain and if you put the rain into snowfall, I think it would be 3 feet -- it's rained almost constantly since noon on Monday!

    But yes, you did get my attention with your title! I thought perhaps you were also in the throes of this front but you were further north!

    Carrot soups looks good -- we had asparagus for lunch yesterday! I love vegetable soups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful family and beautiful soup. your description of spring is perfect. loved that part tooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing about your spring. The soup looks so pretty. I took soup to a friend yesterday and was thinking it would be a nice supper tonight. Great minds..... I think the snow picture is framable. Hugs! Bonnis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my to the snow! We are having 80 degree weather. Love carrot soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup sounds delicious, Bonnie.We are still in the middle of soup weather here in the Pacific NW. Lots of snow in the mountains and rain and wind at sea level. Yuck, I'm getting tired of it. A nice bowl of soup will help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it wasn't your snow as a friend from Chicago wrote yesterday about heading out for a bike ride in 80 degree weather! Our spring too has come in full force--it is all out together--forsythia which comes first is as fully blooming as the "late spring" dogwoods and azaleas. It is so hot--running our air for sleeping--and never before have we done that in March. Well at least we didn't need much heat this winter...but one wonders what the summer will hold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had so little snow this winter as opposed to last winter that I actually missed it, Bonnie!

    I love carrots but I've never made carrot soup for some reason. I will have to try your recipe. i also enjoy hot soups no matter what time of the year it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I joined you in the mid 80's temp. I am actually starting to show my disappointment that spring may have passed us by~

    The carrot soup is lovely. You kids are having a blast in Tahoe. Snow is what they want, and snow is what they got. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun photos of the kids! Yes, the weather is crazy all over. We have snow in our mountains, and even some on the foothills near my home where we hike. Your soup is such a beautiful color, and sounds yummy!! Enjoy your early Spring!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Tahoe isn't the only place that got snow in recent days. Yes, we got it here in Boise. Sunday and again yesterday (the first day of spring!!). While it's not snowing today, it's gray, windy, and cool. We haven't gotten the warm temps everyone else has enjoyed.

    The soup sounds yummy!! I love soup!!

    Have a great day, my friend.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tahoe is beautiful. So is the soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. when i get an update i will post it on my blog and facebook. she is very very ill, she said yesterday she felt like she was dying, and today he rushed her to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take your weather over Tahoe's any day! They do look like they're having fun though. The soup sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, snow got my attention! Whew...I'd take 80's any day! Your carrot soup looks yummy. Not sure if I'd like it cold....guess I'll have to try it and see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No sign of Spring here yet but it will come eventaully. So for now this sweetly delicious soup would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.