Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blueberry Banana Syrup for German Pancakes



Wrist Update:  First, thank you all for your prayers and healing wishes.  Another x-ray yesterday shows  good mending of the bone.  I've had almost no pain from the beginning--very grateful!  There is, however, great frustration in my limitations.  I'm slowly adapting.  You are witness to one-finger typing!

The Baker has been a great caretaker.  He has been trying to serve healthy and tasty treats
like the blueberry and banana topping for these
German pancakes.






Baked German Pancake
w/Blueberry-Banana Topping
From the Chicago Tribune

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Blueberry-Banana Topping

1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large banana, diced

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the oil over bottom and up sides of two 10 inch cast iron skillets. Break eggs into blender (he uses a whisk since we don't own a blender). Add milk and salt; mix until blended but not frothy. Add the flour; blend briefly to moisten the flour. Do not over mix. Add butter. Blend briefly.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until puffed, 10-12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, for topping, mix blueberries, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Mash about 1/3 of the blueberries. Let stand two minutes before stirring in banana. Cut pancakes into large wedges; place on heated plates. Pass the blueberry-banana topping.

25 comments:

  1. They look wonderful!!!! Are you SURE he was never a chef? I cannot imagine not being able to move or use one arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't see how you are posting one handed, not sure i could at all. this looks fantastic, my hubby only make plain old pancakes for me, but i love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, there you just hit my weak spot...oh my gosh, anything with blueberries and bananas! Oh my....Glad to hear you are on the mend. It certainly isn't fun with limitations. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this looks fantastic. I haven't made German Pancakes since the kiddos moved out years ago.

    I always filled 'em with strawberries and maple syrup. The Blueberry Banana sounds heavenly!

    Have yourself a blessed and beautiful day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious if your husband's care giving includes typing your posts? You are doing quite well with that and I'm also thankful things are healing and that you are pain free! Could I come for breakfast? Or I guess you could serve these any time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pancakes sound delicious. I'm delighted you are on the mend and not suffering pain. Bob is coming along well and in another couple of weeks will be good as new. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to make these. This will go on our menus for next week.

    One finger typing ... you are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One figure typing is impressive! Glad to hear you're mending well. (We all knew you'd be cared for well.) The pancakes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! I think you are doing remarkably well with one finger. So glad to here you are healing. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look wonderful. Kudos to you working, baking and typing with one hand. Thanks for sharing a lovely recipe.
    German pancakes are yummy. I appreciate you visiting my blog and leaving me a kind comment. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that looks so good---typing with one finger??? Is that true??? that must be slow! Now I am wondering what happened....I need to try to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you are healing well!Typing one handed must be hard! Thanks for the praying for my son! Have a fantastic week my friend and I hope your hand heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I call those wonderful pancakes a Dutch Baby. Yours looks scrumptious... especially with your wonderful syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery! Those German pancakes rock! Delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about your wrist! I hope you are feeling better and that you don't have to have surgery! It looks like you are being very well cared for though. These German pancakes look incredible! Feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy to read that your wrist is healing nicely, Bonnie. It looks like you have been enjoying some lovely meals along the way. I can't imagine getting by with one arm in a cast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so impressed with your one finger typing! What a trooper you are to keep blogging during your healing. But, when given such delicious meals by your hubby, I don't mind you for wanting to share them :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh My Gosh---I just gained a pound reading about those pancakes. They look awesome.

    Glad you are doing better, Bonnie. Take care and keep on letting that wonderful man take care of you.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just jumping back in to let you know it can be frozen. Hope you are continuing to improve. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, wonderful news about your wrist, Bonnie! I'm so glad it is healing well (even if it is annoying to be limited). The Baker is taking very good care of you. I know a Little Man that would love this blueberry and banana concoction! ;) The pickled red onions are calling my name. Prayers for your continued well healing! blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love german pancakes and these look absolutely amazing! Love the syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that's a dedicated blogger, one finger at a time!!! I'm glad you are mending well and being taken care of well also. Love these pancakes and the great topping! Take it easy and hope you're back to perfect in a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This topping looks great. And I'm impressed with anyone who has the patience to type with one finger!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear you are mending; slow but sure. It must take a lot of patience to type with one hand. Those German pancakes looks wonderful.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.