Sunday, April 22, 2012

Red Onions Pickled

Eat your onions!  They are good for you.  While you might not want to bite into one like an apple, there are many ways to enjoy this healthy member of the lily family.

The market had a good buy on bags of red onions a few weeks ago.  
I decided to turn one especially large one into a tasty little pickle to have on hand.

These have, so far, appeared on grilled cheese sandwiches, meatloaf sandwiches, in a hash of leftover roast chicken and in an omelet.

NOTE:  It is claimed that a raw onion in a jar by one's bed cures insomnia.  I cannot attest to that.


Pickled Red Onion (I use the same "brine" as I use for pickled vegetables)


1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
3 Tbsp sugar
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5-6 whole allspice
4 whole cloves

1.  Place all ingredients except the onions into a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2.  Add onions and simmer, stirring occasionally for about ten minutes.  A bit of crispness should remain.
3.  Pour all into a jar.  Cover and refrigerate for up to a month.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. hubbies favorite onion is the red ones. i don't eat onions of any kind, never have, i do eat them if cooked in things like spaghetti or something i can taste them. mother used to pickle onions and also put them in with tomatoes and pickled them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to send this to my brother-in-law who loves anything pickled. He will be thrilled with this recipe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welllllll, I like my onions in small doses, and cooked. They hurt my stomach if eaten raw. I do love to use red onion in summer salads! So pretty.
    How is that wrist doing?
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew you could pickle red onions and these are beautiful and easy. The uses you mention are cool. I have only thought they were used for sandwiches and salads, not really cooking onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think these are amazing on grilled burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love onions. Mother always had a plate of onions on the dinner table. The purple pickled onions are very pretty! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those looks delish - I love them. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,
    I have made something similar but not for a while. Wonderful on a hamburger! Thanks for jogging my memory!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Ken will be in heaven with these! I will have to write this down.

    How are you feeling?

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great and lovin' your fun jar! I've bookmarked your pickling recipe, hope to try soon-thans:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder where the onion at the bedside originated from, and why. Can't say I've every eaten pickled onions but they must be good. How is the mending coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love onions! I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    They are also really good at keeping your blood clot free! (I read that recently.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have been so wanting to pickle some veggies but no time with the kids! I am going to hire you to do it- they look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. My first thought was that you're doing pretty good typing with one hand because this is a rather long post. On second thought, it might have taken you 3 days to type it. Ha! Hope the healing is going well. My gardener would love these onions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love onions and would really like to try making these. I can just imagine how handy they would be for so many things.

    I think the onion in a jar by the bedside would cause insomnia rather than cure it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never pickled an onion before, but I just know that I'd love them. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YIKES!!!! That pickled onion looks the best...I want to eat that stuff like candy right now.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.