Friday, April 13, 2012

Shrimp and Couscous Salad


Our lovely early-spring temperatures have been lower this past week.  Mornings have brought frost and threats to fruit trees and other tender tendrils.  So far, I've listened to my mother's warnings of not planting anything before Mother's Day.  It's the kind of weather where one can still serve soup with no excuses.  On the other hand, for those of us longing for salads, this recipe will serve quite nicely.  Warm couscous and garlicky lemon shrimp meet chilled salad greens.  With all ingredients at the ready, it goes together quickly.  Here's the recipe:


Shrimp and Couscous Salad as inspired by a Whole Foods recipe

For 4

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, cleaned
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
8 cups of mixed salad greens
1/3 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1  cup uncooked couscous, prepared according to package directions
Fresh Parmesan cheese for grating

1.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the shrimp, garlic, salt and pepper and saute, stirring frequently, for about four minutes.  Stir in the lemon juice and turn off the heat.
2.  Arrange the greens in a serving bowl and toss with dressing and plate.
3.  Top the greens with couscous, shrimp and a generous grating of Parmesan.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. This is my kind of dish. Adore shrimp and use it all of the time. Love how you've used the couscous with the salad. Great idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely delicious looking and just my kind of meal. Thanks for the idea. Here its no garden before April 15th. And sure enough, a frost last night. We put the garden in early due to travel and the very warm, SUMMER March that we had! But sure enough, a late frost slipped up on us. But the weather is so refreshing after our mini summer. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good grief!! Not even 8 a.m. and I am craving your shrimp. What a wonderful recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am getting an education every day by reading posts. i just looked up couscous because i did not know what it was, when i read it still did not know, so it said it is seminola, say what? so here is what i found in case there is ONE other person besides me that did not know. remember i dont cook
    Semolina is the coarse, purified wheat middlings of durum wheat used in making pasta, and also used for breakfast cereals and puddings
    NOW I know... but have never had it or even seen it in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks lovely for a spring luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely recipe, it would be so nice for a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolulety love shrimps this look amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great for a quick lunch or dinner. I'm hoping we can get our garden in a whole month early this year - the weather has been so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious and something my children will perhaps enjoy as well! Thanks for the recipe --

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know a little girl who would LOVE this dish--shrimp and coo coo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I would have had this recipe yesterday! I bought 3 lbs of shrimp from the seller that flies in from Galveston, TX each month from spring until fall. We had peel and eat shrimp for dinner last night.

    This looks like a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, this looks delicious.

    I have been wanting to plant my porch planters ... but am waiting for Mother's Day, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds healthy--which we all need. I love shrimp --most anyway I can get it... Thanks for sharing.

    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it weren't four in the morning I would be in the kitchen now trying to see if I could make this as good as you did. lol
    Another night of not being able to sleep so I am checking on my friends.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Glad you shared this with us
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm catching up with everyone.....This shrimp recipe looks delicious. Thursday was our last predicted for a freeze. While living in Tenn. Mother's Day was always the target date. (Your arm has time to heal!) Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my...I want this, it looks quite tasty! I'll make it by half so I can eat it twice. Yeah, that's the plan (lol).
    Visiting from Glenda, Gg Notes on the Journey.
    Hope you enjoy the delicious meals prepared by loving hands while you're healing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, this is a really nice post about fish/seafood. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things fishy and seafoody. Food on Friday

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.