Sunday, May 6, 2012

Time for a Triple Crown Winner + Salsa Recipe



Congratulations to that handsome chestnut I'll Have Another and his young jockey, Mario Gutierrez.  It was quite a Derby debut for both.  Best wishes to them.  It's time for another Triple Crown winner.  Thirty-four years is long enough to wait!!

It was an interesting Saturday.  Since we were just two for dinner, I couldn't decide if we should celebrate Cinco de Mayo or the Kentucky Derby.  And, since we were just two, I thought it should just be fun.  We dined on quesadillas and Derby pie!

Here's the recipe for a favorite salsa.  Alas, the Derby pie was not a winner.  The Baker consulted Mark Bittman instead of me.  Enough said!


Guadalupe Salsa inspired by the Santa Fe Recipe Cookbook

4 cups crushed tomatoes (we like the boxed Pomi tomatoes)
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup of pickled jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (more or less to taste)
1 Tbsp garlic salt
2 Tbsp pickle juice from the jalapenos
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse 10 to 12 times.
Cover and refrigerate over night.




Serve with your favorite quesadillas.

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. when I read the title I thought you were gone crazy. i had no idea who this is, so glad you told me. i was thinking you found another MAN in your life or TWO. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!!! What happend with the other recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to make salsa when the tomatoes are ripe. I do not have a pressure cooker, so I won't can any. This sounds like it can be made year 'round. The derby was wonderful! The emotion of the jockey brought tears. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks smashingly delicious! I may save it on my pinterest recipes if that's OK. I really want to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you plan your food to match what is going on around you. Mark Bitterman should have consulted you :-).

    Just returned from 10 days in Seattle. Trying to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, this settles it, I'm picking up pickled jalapenos the next time I go shopping! I've seen them mentioned a few times now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sad that Evan and I missed seeing the Derby yesterday (we were car shopping). LOVE your menu! The best of both worlds... sorry the Derby Pie didn't suit your tastebuds but, ahhhhh... salsa. You know we love our salsa here in Texas. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe, sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My lucky number is 19 so I would have bet that horse!

    Hope you didn't get too many storms yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh Bonnie, did you make the quesadilla's as well? That looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was amazing how they came from behind to win! Very exciting.

    Great sounding salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. quesedillas and derby pie...yum! haha.. I love it! Why not!?

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.