Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Potage Vert Pre--Spring Meadow Soup


I thought I'd re-introduce this nice spring soup to you, appropriately, on the last day of spring.  That's about all that is appropriate about the soup (or any soup) for serving right here right now.  It is hot!  After being spoiled by perfectly lovely weather most of the spring, last week saw most days climbing  into the 90s with no rain.  Saturday afternoon brought a hailstorm and two inches of rain.  I don't remember ever being an eye-witness to hail.  The Baker brought in a handful of about 3/4 inch hail stones.  They were scattered all about the lawn and road but quickly melted in the rain.

The heat fast brought an end to our lovely lettuces.  The pansies, hanging on much longer than usual, drooped their pretty heads and said goodbye for now.  The lush green lawn is a sad shade of ecru.   Pots of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and a trio of basils are quite happy with the warmth as long as they have a good drink of water in the morning and evening.

We eat soup (hot and cold) often.  This one is worth cranking down the air conditioning to put on the table.  I made it a long time ago as the first course of a dinner prepared and shared by members of a gourmet group in Texas.  It came from a food magazine--either Gourmet or Food and Wine (at least I think so).



Potage Vert Pre

6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup minced green onions with tops
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups fresh or frozen peas
1 head Boston lettuce, shredded
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream (I've used half and half)
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas

1. Saute onions in butter in large pot until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add 3 cups peas, the lettuce, spinach, sugar and salt. Stir in 6 cups stock. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer covered 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree vegetable mixture 2 cups at a time in blender or food processor until smooth.*

2. Beat cream, egg yolks and pepper in small bowl until smooth. Combine with pureed mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is hot. Do not boil. Stir in 1 cup of peas.

NOTE: Soup may be prepared in advance up to this point*. Refrigerate. Heat to simmering before completing recipe.

22 comments:

  1. That sounds a wonderful soup! I can't imagine it being in the 90's! Our summer has been wet and windy so far but I think it's gradually warming up. I'm glad you're getting back into your kitchen but Three Cheers for the Baker!! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has been cool a lot of days....cool enough to turn the air off! It's to get in the 90's tomorrow though, so the air will be back on again.

    I love soup. This sounds very good! My Mom made pea soup when I was a kid, which I loved. Your photo caused me to remember that soup....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are so appetizing..:) My pansies are drooping too~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look good, I have never heard of lettus in soup. Something to sure try when I go to the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and your soup also makes for a beautiful photo, both in the bowl whole and in the gorgeous teacup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bonnie, looks like a very hearty soup... I'll save that recipe until Fall. We don't each much soup in the summer...

    Our Pansies are still holding on up here--but by July, they'll probably be gone.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if this soup would be good cold. That is quite a storm you had ... and heat, whereas we enjoyed spring temperatures all last week (not so this week). My nephew lost a lot of his blueberries this year due to hail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds very French! Soup is great for summer because you don't have to heat up the oven! I just talked with my computer guy and he says it was highly unlikely there was ever anything bad on it, but he has given me the all clear on it for safety, I will tell everyone tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your description of the season applies to us too- Right here at the end experienced the hail storm too.

    Lovely, lovely soup no matter the season.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, that soup looks divine! I love soup too.
    Hope you and The Baker are doing well!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you. I can eat soup any time of the year. Your potage vert looks so healthy and green.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful color to that soup - it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had lettuce in a soup (as far as I know). This sounds delectable... and looks even more so in that lovely cup!!

    We've been in the same stage for awhile. I had to stop and think about it being the last day of spring. ;) Thank you for the soup recipe! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hail and 2" of rain does not sound like a fun day, eventful, but not necessarily fun... The soup sounds good, I do eat it year round:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This soups ingredients are unusual ... but sounds so delicious. And love the pretty mug you served it in.

    Aren't you glad to be rid of your cast before this hot hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely soup for those days when the thermometer is in reasonable territory. I love peas and when they are used in French soups, they are hard to beat. I'll definitely be making this. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, The soup looks so pretty. I love soup anytime of the year. I was actually chilled today and enjoyed a wonderful bowl of tomato bisque. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The brightness of your soup makes a great presentation and I love the sound of the flavors.
    We had hail this week too, although the 90's part of things is normal for us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You just reminded me that I need to water my plants extra in this scorching weather. I love the idea of making this ahead of time and warming later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We missed the hail, but the rain was a Godsend to the farm. The crops drank it up before puddles could even form. Your soup looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know what you mean about the lawn! With so many garden areas I've been hauling hoses around every day. Not that I miss the mosquitoes though - we've been able to dine outdoors without a bite for a nice long time.

    Beautiful soup! My peas have stopped producing too because of the heat. Since I've already sent out our gourmet menus I'll save this one for another year :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.