Thursday, July 26, 2012

Nectarine and Apricot Tart

Have I mentioned that our odd spring weather--early warmth then heavy morning frosts--played havoc with the local (mostly Michigan) peach crop?  The run-down-your-arm juicy peaches are not so plentiful this year.  The ones we do find at the farmers' market are just for eating fresh as far as we are concerned.  With that restriction, The Baker turned to nectarines and apricots for this delicious tart.  You could also use all nectarines or peaches.

The recipe is an adaptation (by The Baker) of one of Susan Loomis' in  On Rue Tatin .  If you haven't had the pleasure of reading this memoir, I highly recommend it to you.


Nectarine and Apricot Tart courtesy of The Baker and Susan Herrmann Loomis

To make the pastry:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
7 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
5 to 6 Tbsp iced water


1.  Place the flour and salt into the food processor and mix for a few seconds.  Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.  With the processor running, slowly add the water until the mixture is just combined and crumbly.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a ball.  Let it sit at room temperature, covered, for an hour.

To make the filling:
1 small egg + 2 tsp cold water
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 pound apricots, quartered
5 nectarines, cut into 1/8s

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk together the egg and 2 tsp cold water to make a wash for the pastry.
2.  Roll out the pastry into a 13-inch circle.  Fit it into a 10" removable bottom tart tin.  Brush the bottom of the pastry with the egg wash.
3.  Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl.  Add the fruit and stir until combined then pour into the pastry shell.
4.  Place on a baking sheet and bake in the bottom third of the oven until the fruit and pastry are golden and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.
5.  Remove from oven and remove the edge of the tin right away.  Cool to room temperature and serve.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! Sooo wish I had a slice-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, Bonnie!! This is making me drool! And, we are on "restrictions" from desserts for awhile. {{sigh}} Fruit pastries are our favorites. Please enjoy a slice for me. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love nectarines look amazing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you already know I love peaches...in fact I am enjoying a really tasty (not juicy though) one on my cereal as I visit my favorite blogs. The tart looks delicious. We love fruit tarts. I have had some really nice nectarines this year. I love a memoir that also includes recipes. I will check it out. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the supreme pleasures of the good ol' summertime - fresh fruit! Yummy!

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks divine!!!!! My neighbor is sharing her bounty with me, and I need to make a pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making and eating tarts, Bonnie. Now that stone fruits are plentiful this looks like a perfect tart to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good! I am going to Michigan this weekend and plan on getting lots of blueberries! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of make up my own tart, but it's nice to have this tidy recipe and I'm going to pin it. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book from which your recipe is adapted is one of my favorites and I love her recipes. I suspect I would also love her company if ever we had the chance to meet. The tart sounds wonderful. I think all of us are dealing with the results of the strange weather we had this spring. Our berries never really sweetened and orchard crops are late to market this summer. Hopefully, next year will be better. I hope all is well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dear,

    YES, YES!!! This will be used this week. Lots of nectarines loading the tree, and at nearby Cal Poly's orchard I will be picking pounds of apricots (at their perfection right now) on Friday.

    I too love Susan H. Loomis' work and did read her Rue Tatin memoirs. Have you read A Thousand Days in Venice? It is by Marlena de Blasi, who is a chef. It is a memoir, but includes some recipes.

    Sending love and thanks,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo doesn't that looks pretty!!!
    I'm not sure I could cut into this.

    Enjoy.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, this tart looks so summery and delicious. Tell the Baker thanks. You have two of my favorite fruits here.

    We were just outside and it is oddly cool. This weather is weird, eh?

    Enjoy the upcoming weekend. We have wee ones at our house, lucky us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were lucky enough to have had some Georgia peaches a couple weeks ago. They never made it to a pie, or anything else but eaten by hand. Now, I wish I would have squirreled some away. I'm headed to a new farmer's market tomorrow morning. Maybe they'll tempt me with nectarines and apricots?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, this tart sounds delicious and I want to try it. You're right on spot about the peaches and the tomatoes have suffered from this crazy weather we've had. The are very small at the farmers' markets here and don't have that great tomato taste. By the way, I got the Earhart book and can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your tart and Rue Tatin. What a fun read.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious tart, I love nectarines! Thanks for wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tart is loaded with fruit, Bonnie. It's a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delicious combination of fruit! I have nectarines ripening on my kitchen counter and they may find their way into this beautiful dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks AWESOME! I just bought some apricots, and was wondering what to do with them. I have found my solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. nectarines are my favorite! I just love their sweet and subtle flavor and they go so great with other fruit. This tart is just hands down amazing

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.