Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Zucchini Salad

After five days of 100+ degree temperatures, we are now basking in the mid-80s and have had some rain.  I'm  grateful to have a good repitoire of salad recipes with which to stock the refrigerator for these "dog days" of summer.

I'm also grateful for our local farmers' market and, especially, for Linda from LE Gardens.  Linda and her crew make sure that each vegetable is hand picked at just the right time.  They are washed and lined up like rare jewels in her stall.  If there's a vegetable that she doesn't have, she's willing to find it and give it a go for the customer in another season if at all possible.  There are still baskets of colorful Hungarian peppers that a dear friend provided her the seeds for many seasons ago.  The Crown Point Farmers' Market is on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and is located just south of the square on Main Street.  Tell Linda I sent you!!

The fresher the zucchini, the better this salad is--crisp and lemony.  I used a mandoline slicer on the zucchini but a knife does a perfectly fine job.


Zucchini Salad inspired by a recipe in the N.Y. Times

1 lb of small to medium zucchini, a mixture of yellow and green if possible
Salt
Zest of one lemon
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 Tbsp good olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Slice the zucchini lengthwise as thinly as possible.  Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.  Rinse well and drain.

Mix the lemon zest and juice, garlic and olive oil.  Toss with the zucchini.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate for two to six hours.

Remove the garlic clove and add the parsley.  Toss together and serve.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. Love how the zucchini shines in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, There is nothing better than a salad made of fresh vegetables during the summer. Lemon, garlic, parsley...what is there not to like? I am alone for a few days. This may indeed be my dinner tomorrow night. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great salad and that's a nice shout out to your fav vendor! Don't know how it happened, but I walked out to the garden and found a zuke big enough to use as a kayak tonight! Sneaky little buggers:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try it--looks good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love that salad, Bonnie... Fresh veggies in the summer are so WONDERFUL.... Right now, we are enjoying some home-grown corn-on-the-cob... Yum...

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are enjoying the cooler temps here too.
    The salad looks delish.

    Have a great Wednesday.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salad looks delicious! One I'll try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the heat wave has broken at last! I do love simple salads like this...beautiful, healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this one is simple enough for me the simpleton of cooking to follow. and it's pretty to look at to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a pretty salad. I have some zukes in the frig I might try this with unless I roast them--or maybe I'll do both. I am behind on my blog reading. It's turning out to be a busy summer, to my disappointment. Your farmer market produce looks wonderful. Enjoy!

    A little cooler here with some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a similar salad. I use a vegetable peeler to get the zucchini into thin strips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love zucchini ribbons like that. sometimes the simpliest dressing like this one is the BEST

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so hot there I bet Ollie's spots are melting off but good you all are getting a bit of cool weather if you can call 80's cool. Poor little guy and you all too. But this salad sure looks like it will cool things down on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My zucchini plants have flowers so it won't be long for zucchini.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.