Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Morning With Genghis Kahn

The Baker and I decided to have a holiday earlier this week.  We headed into the city, our destination the Field Museum to see the Genghis Khan exhibit.


The traffic was light on Lakeshore Drive a little past 9 a.m..


Soldier Field was quiet.



I was amazed to find out how little I knew of the legendary Genghis Kahn including the fact that he was born at about the same time of the ground breaking for Notre Dame--1162 A.D.  His military accomplishments were legend.  He was a practical conquerer, more interested in goods than in killing.
Genghis Khan's advancement of the Mongol Empire was truly impressive.  Now I want to know more about him.  If you are in the Chicago area, pay the Field a visit and spend a morning with Genghis Kahn.


I never tire of the Chicago skyline.  These photos are from the Adler Planetarium.


The Willis Tower.


Looks like a sleepy little fishing village!  When the many sailboats leave their moorings, the lake is dotted with white sails as far as the eye can see.  It was too early in the day for most of the "sailors" it seems.


Where to next?

14 comments:

  1. the only thing i knew about GK was the name was familar... and i like that sign shot a lot. love the sky line. that is one thing i have never taken a photo of, since we have not tall buildings and i never go to big cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I love Chicago. We had hoped to visit before school starts, but Roger has business in Ireland in a few weeks and I am going to join him. It sounds like a fascinating exhibit. How long will it be there? Have a wonderful Thursday! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland is a good alternative to Chicago! I believe the exhibit is there through September.

      Best,
      Bonnie

      Delete
  3. I've only been to the Windy City once and I loved it! You're right about the skyline, it's beautiful! Looks like you had a nice time! Love all the different photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I love history, and know nothing of Genghis Kahn! I must read!!!!
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for a great city that I am proud to live very close to!!! We were talking the other day about going to the exhibit; after seeing this, we'll have to. We've been to many cities and I always say Chicago has the best skyline in the world!

    By the way, I really want to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibit from China. Please let me know if you hear of it coming to Chicago. It's in NYC now and I'm hoping it will come here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Pam. I'd love to see that as well. My good friend saw it in either Egypt or Turkey (can't remember which) and she was over the moon about the exhibit!!

      Delete
  6. Chicago is an amazing city. I remember Marshall Field and Wrigley Field. So many good eating places there too. Nothing like a Chicago hot dog!
    Interesting info about GK!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Marshall Field is no more! We had lunch in the Walnut Room the last Christmas they were open. You are right about those Chicago dogs!!

      Delete
  7. We just got back from a trip to Chicago. We were there to attend a friend's wedding. It was my first time and I did not want to go back home.
    Chicago is a beautiful city and now after seeing the photographs, I want to go back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're having a nice little adventure! Love the seagull photo bombing the first skyline pic. Have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love the seagull photo. Hard to believe you are in one of our major cities. My husband's father was from Chicago. I still can't believe Marshall Field's is gone.

    Come to think of it, I don't know much about Genghis Kahn either.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just there last week! We stayed the week in Chicago with one of our boys and his wife, and spent one day at the Field. The Genghis Khan exhibit was fascinating, as were the other exhibits. We had a lovely time exploring a lovely city- I can't wait for another visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Bonnie. It has been so good to catch up today. Of course, now I'm starving after seeing all your wonderful food... I envy you all the goodies you have put up for the winter, but right now, I'm craving that tomato sandwich!! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.