Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Frittata with Swiss Chard



I usually head to the farmers' market on Saturday morning with no shopping list and an open mind.  Whatever looks best usually ends up in my basket even if I don't have a recipe in mind.  This past Saturday, the Swiss chard was abundant and beautiful--perfect green leaves lined up in great heaps on the table.

On Rue Tatin by Susan Hermann Loomis was already on the computer desk and I wasn't surprised to find just the right recipe to showcase the chard.  This frittata was perfect for our Sunday lunch and quite delicious reheated for breakfast the next day.  I hope you'll give it a try.  Spinach would be a nice addition if Swiss chard isn't available.



Frittata with Swiss Chard inspired by Susan Hermann Loomis

1 fat garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound Swiss chard (mix of red, yellow and green if possible), stems removed
  and leaves cut in approximately 1/2 inch strips
6 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp smoky paprika

1.  Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a saute pan large enough to hold all the ingredients over medium heat.  Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute.  Add the chard, stir, cover and cook until it is wilted and very dark green.  This will take 15 to 20 minutes.  Check and stir often so the chard does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, cheese and paprika until the eggs are just broken up.
3.  Preheat the broiler.
4.  Add the remaining oil to the chard and stir.  Pour the egg mixture over and let them cook until they are set on the bottom--4 to 5 minutes.  Place under broiler (about five inches from the broiler) and cook until the top puffs and starts to brown, 2-3 minutes.
5.  Cool to room temperature and serve cut into wedges.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. i love spinach, have never heard of or seen or know what chard is,but this looks devine to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh that looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Frttata looks amazing and a recipe I will make soon. I hope you don't mind but I made your Pasta Salad recipe that you shared a week or so ago and posted it on my own blog today. I did give you credit for this great salad and placed a link to your blog. I do appreciate you sharing that recipe.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful, and I love frittatas. It is a great way to use up whatever is in the vegetable trays in the fridge. The leftovers are great for a school lunch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I've only made a frittata once, loved it and think it's time for another one:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. swiss chard- now why haven't i done that before. I always use spinach but I can see how swiss chard would be so incredibly delicious in a frittata! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, Bonnie. You get so many interesting things when you go to the Farmers Market..... YUM...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful!!!! Now I need to get out of bed and go get a snack!!
    XO KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh, Bonnie. This sounds perfect and easy for a summer day! Thank you! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to think chard was exotic -- until I started growing it myself, that is. I love the stuff. And even this black thumb can't ruin it. And frittatas -- just the best, whether the "glue" to hold leftovers together or to make a pie like yours. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go to settings...click on posts and comments. You will see "comment location". Change it to embedded. I have no clue why I know how to do this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. I couldn't have done it without you!

      Best,
      Bonnie

      Delete
    2. Hooray! So glad I could help. Like you I never know who goes back and checks for a reply. I do try to post a reply though and visit. Happy Replying:)

      Delete
  12. Hi Bonnie! OH, this looks so good. I've never made a frittata before but my daughter makes them all the time! Yummy! I'll pass this on to her.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made this frittata and can attest to how delicious it is. While she doesn't have the fan base of Dorie Greenspan, Susan remains one of my all time favorite food writers. Her recipes are terrific and she has an uncanny ability to convey time and place and circumstance in her writing. Have a grand weekend, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a marvelous frittata, Bonnie. I haven't made this one, but love that you've used chard. Will definitely add it next time...I'll feel healthier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been years since I've tried swiss chard - I remember it being bitter, but maybe I didn't prepare it right. Looks delicious!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have some Swiss Chard in my garden just waiting to be picked for something fabulous like this! It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love frittata!!look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not only does it sound delicious, it looks so beautiful! I don't know if I've ever eaten swiss chard; I usually substitute spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the farmers markets too. y problem is that I sh-up with no set plan and everything attracts me (smile). Swiss chard is wonderful and its a beautiful addition to this frittata.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have Susan's book and enjoyed it very much. It would be such fun to visit her in France. You've reminded me I should use Swiss chard more often as we love frittatas in our kitchen.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.