Monday, August 6, 2012

Frogmore Stew


Did you get beyond the title?  Are you still with me?  Good!

Disclaimer:  No frogs were harmed in the preparation of this stew!

One of our first party invitations after moving to Charleston, S. C. was to an oyster roast.  Appropriate dress was not notated and we were so new that we didn't know who to ask what to wear, bring etc.  So we showed up clad in a slight step-down from Sunday "best" and without insect repellent (that is a story for another day).  We also were lacking the heavy large glove that every other guest had on their non-dominant hand and an oyster knife for the dominant hand.  When the roasters were opened and the big, succulent oysters were tossed onto tables, we were quickly rescued by the host and guests and tucked into some excellent dining.

When an invitation came to dine on Frogmore stew, we didn't bat an eye even though neither of us had ever tasted frog.  We were, however, relieved to find that no frog popped out of the steaming pot of goodness.  There is a friendly controversy over where Frogmore stew is actually from.  Most agree, however, that it came from the Frogmore community of St. Helena Island just off the coast of Beaufort, S.C.  It was developed out of necessity when food and money were scarce but corn and potatoes were plentiful and shrimp were easily plucked from the sea.  Somewhere along the way, sausage was added.
Today it is on restaurant menus in the low-country of South Carolina and Georgia as well as Louisiana.
Wherever you are, I hope you'll give it a try.  Once the ingredients are assembled, it is quite easy and fast to put on the table.


Frogmore Stew

1 very large pot with two gallons of water brought to a boil
2 Tbsp crab boil seasoning
2 lemons, halved
Redskin potatoes (about three per person) halved
Spicy smoked sausage (andouille if possible), cut into 2-inch pieces (1/4 pound per person)
Fresh corn, broken into halves or thirds (at least 1 ear per person)
Shrimp (1/2 pound per person)

With the water boiling, add the crab seasoning and lemon.
Add the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes
Add the sausage and cook for 10 minutes
Add the corn and boil for three minutes
Add the shrimp and cook another three minutes

Dump all into a big bowl.
Have lots of napkins on hand.

Serve with:
melted butter
sour cream
cocktail sauce

ENJOY!

24 comments:

  1. never heard it called Frogmore, it is called low country boil in Savannah GA. my friend and her hubby just went to one last week. they have the low country boil for family gatherings because of the ease of it all in one pot. also they have fresh shrimp in Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, that looks amazing but i did think there were frogs in something, ewww! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make this every summer! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't care what it's called, I'm ready to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, This is one of my favorite dishes. I often par it down for just the two of us. It is a simple, easy and yummy summer supper. I add extra red pepper flakes as I like it really spicy. I am sure this dish goes by many names; in Louisiana we simply called it a shrimp (or crab) boil. Spread newspaper out, set out rolls of paper towels, hand everyone a bottle of tabasco and dump the goodies on the table. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish - I'm all in no matter what it's called!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM~ just let me at those shrimp! You have some amazing meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,
    I shall be trying this one! Have been in that area and just loved it! Crab boil seasoning just went on the list1

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Bonnie!! I do so love me some Frogmore Stew!! We never called it that, but it was the same wonderful ingredients! Oh, this is making me miss Charleston. ;)

    I do believe that the lady who designed the Baby Sophisticate may have added an adult version to her patterns. I will try my best to remember to research that next time I am on Ravelry. Are you ready to get your needles out?

    blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of it, but it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the disclaimer! too funny and love this stew. Actually had it before but don't have a recipe just like yours so I can't wait to try this. my husband will be thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you with living there, it's a great place! I've heard of Frogmore and it resembles the fish boils we have here; usually cod, no shrimp. I've always heard frog tastes like chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like and fun dinner and I'm glad to hear no frogs were involved:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You get invited to the most fun and creative parties.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never have heard of Frogmore Stew and I thought I had eaten all the low country food there was. Don't know how I missed this on a menu.
    I think it's delicious. Love meals like this. We just call it a crab boil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bonnie,

    I know this as low country boil. It is an amazing meal and fun too. Thanks for showing us the amounts per person. I think I will give it a try this weekend!

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never heard of this. Sounds ok to me, the picture is beautiful! I'd let out the shrimp. I know, it would then be a completely different soup or stew. Wish I liked shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. /the title does put me off ... but the stew sounds hearty and wonderful! And a nice history with it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admit the title makes me queasy but the recipe looks hearty and wonderful and it's nice it has a story with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful, colorful astonishing mix of aromas and delight. Congrats :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, I was wondering if there were frogs in here. Like when I first had a hamburger, I thought there would be ham in it.
    This looks delicious, I have never heard of this before!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We just call that a shrimp boil - but whatever you call it, it's delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lucky YOU!!! in the upstate of SC, we call it Lowcountry Boil. I am pea green with envy of anyone who can enjoy this traditional dish, since I'm allergic to shellfish . . . what a sin in SC!!! Hope you're well, haven't chatted with you in eons!

    Be well,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had to smile at what you decided to wear Bonnie. Who knew.

    I'm familiar with Frogmore stew, but didn't know the story behind it. Lowcountry has THE best seafood. Lucky you to have lived there. I've been reading Dorthea Benton Frank this summer and thinking we should pop over to Charleston this fall and eat our fill of local shrimp.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.