Monday, August 13, 2012

Peach Upside Down Cake circa 1934

When my friend came to visit last week, she brought me this cookbook that she'd found in her late mother-in-law's home.  Actually, she had The Baker in mind when she found the book and I'll turn it over to him--eventually.

 General Foods
1934


First, I wanted to make this peach upside down cake.  A bowl of luscious looking and smelling peaches was sitting on the kitchen counter just begging for a dessert to showcase their "talents".  The recipe calls for two cups of sliced peaches.  I think I used a little less.  Oliver came into the kitchen to sit beside me in case some tasty morsel would fall to the floor.  I felt guilty in tasting the peaches (a baker has to do that lest they not be up to par) and not sharing with him.  Eventually, I think the two of us ate the equivalent of a whole peach.  We can report that it was juicy and delicious!



The recipe was quite a bit different from the Silver Palate one I usually use.  I followed it fairly closely although I didn't sift the dry ingredients three times.  I did just dump the butter into the dry ingredients where they eventually got mixed in fairly well but weren't creamed.  It turned out to have a good texture and we liked it.  I think I'll stick to my S.P. recipe in the future and will try to restrain myself (and my dog) from eating too many peach slices.


Peach Upside Down Cake

1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/4 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp softened butter (or other shortening--probably Crisco?)
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups sliced peaches (fresh or canned).  I used fresh.

1.  Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder, salt, and sugar and then sift together three times.  Add butter.  Combine egg, milk, and vanilla.  Add to the flour mixture, stirring until all the flour is dampened; then beat vigorously 1 minute.
2.  Melt butter in an 8 inch pan or 8 inch skillet, over low flame.  Add the brown sugar and stir until melted.  On this, arrange sliced peaches.  Turn batter over the peaches.  Bake in moderate oven (350) for 50 minutes or until done.
3.  Loosen cake from sides of pan with spatula.  Serve upside down with peaches on top.  Garnish with whipped cream.

ENJOY!


17 comments:

  1. I have 3 peach trees, and all of them should be ready for harvest in about 2 weeks. One, though, the Sugar Lady White, we really don't care for. They don't have much flavor when compared to the usual orange-fleshed variety. But you can bet I'll be making some sort of yummy dessert---maybe a cobbler or crisp or your upside-down cake.

    Wishing you a lovely day.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I will be going to the farmers' market for some peaches soon! The cake looks and sounds delicious and it's wonderful that your friend brought the cookbook with her, Oliver definitely knows what's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...,nice! A twist on the pineapple upside down cakes that I grew up on! My Mom always made pineapple upside down cakes!!
    I love old cookbooks!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is even better than pineapple upside down cake. beautiful and i want some now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Peach season in coming to an end here:( The peaches being shipped into the markets are just not very sweet. I love to find old cookbooks. They have the recipes we grew up with. Enjoy perusing the pages! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like fresh peaches, and your cake looks delicious! I love finding and receiving those old cookbooks too! Aren't they a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM.... Looks delicious, Bonnie. I love fresh peaches this time of year --so that dessert would be a favorite. Thanks!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, where have I been!? I just caught up on your last several posts and would love to drive down to Chicago to see that Genghis Khan exhibit! The Frogmore Stew and that fresh corn looks fantastic and I'd love to try that chard frittata too.

    I had to laugh when I read the title and date of that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, looks great! It's a nice change from pineapple. And yes, you'd never want to serve something you wouldn't eat yourself so "tasting" is necessary:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I have 4 peaches on my cutting board ready to be eaten! I want to make this right now -- I have no self control! Thanks for this wonderfully sounding recipe. I must make this... xxoo - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must make this too! I always loved upside down cakes but never make them myself! I need to- and I am using this recipe when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not fair, Bonnie! You are making me way too hungry. LOL
    Dont' you love old cook books!

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  13. WE have had very little good peaches this season and I'm wondering where the cantelope is. Guess I need to go to the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to follow a cookbook one of these days, or at least buy one! This looks fantastic, I can't believe I have never made an upside down cake before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby LOVES his peaches, especially when I make him a cobbler. May have to try one of these recipes to give him a different look. Warning: he hates it when I mess with what he likes; he is so fun to cook for sometimes! Men! Sheesh! Trying to catch up with all my blog pals. It's the second day of school for the girls and the first morning I have had to myself in FOREVER it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm... I've been using a lot of peaches lately. I love peach season. Your cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.