Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pesto, Pizza and Oven Dried Cherry Tomatoes

 The Baker and I took a spring trip this year.  It was right at the time I usually purchase herbs and flowers and get a start on the summer garden.  I knew there would still be plenty of flowering plants when we returned but was a bit worried about the herbs.  With that concern in mind, I asked a friend if she'd pick up some parsley, sage, rosemary and basil and take care of them until we returned.  As it turns out, Diana did a great job and our herb garden is a showcase of culinary possibilities.


Time to "put up" pesto for winter dining!



Pesto

4 cups of basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup walnuts

Place the garlic cloves in a food process and rough chop.  Add the basil and walnuts.  Turn the processor on and slowly drizzles in the olive oil.  I don't add salt, pepper or cheese if I'm planning to freeze the pesto.  The cheese will cause the sauce to separate when defrosted.

I found these Ball freezer "jars" a few years ago.  They come in three sizes and are perfect for putting up frozen foods.


Sue over at The View from the Great Island posted a recipe for oven drying cherry tomatoes.  I filled my market bag with the little gems at the Saturday market and followed her simple roasting instructions.  Simply halve the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.  Spread out, cut sides up, on a parchment lined baking pan and roast in a 200 degree oven for about four hours.  The roasted tomatoes can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator (I covered mine with olive oil) or frozen.

Monday offered no leftovers from Sunday and I'd had a busy day.  With those tomatoes upmost in my mind, I pulled together ....


...a Naan Pizza.

Naan (or a small round of pizza dough)
Oven dried cherry tomatoes
Sliced fresh mozzarella
Pesto

1.  Brush the dough with a bit of the olive oil from the tomatoes.
2.  Spread about a tablespoon of the pesto over the dough.
3.  Top with about three thin slices of the mozzarella.
4.  Sprinkle with the roasted tomatoes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

5.  Bake until the cheese melts--about fifteen minutes.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. i love pizza, all pizza and this one looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to freeze my pesto. I am going to freeze some of the tomatoes as well. This is one of my favorite pizzas to make. Perfect for evenings when I get home from school late. I've seen the freezer jars. I need to pick some up. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pizza looks so good..not too much ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often freeze pesto at the end of the season. I use an old plastic ice cube tray and line it with plastic wrap. Scoop a couple tablespoons pesto into each ice cube cup and freeze. Once frozen pop them in a freezer safe container and you have tiny scoops of fresh herbs ready to add to soup, sauce or as a topping on something delicious. I always leave the Parmesan cheese out and add it later too. Works best that way. Your pesto sounds wonderful - love the walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My that looks good. I didn't know that about cheese as in ingredient in freezing. The pesto looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pesto looks great and so does that pizza. I've never made pesto so I'm glad to see your recipe for it, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those naan pizza breads are the best thing since sliced bread. So many uses and I love your pizza with the oven dried tomatoes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, the pizza sounds wonderful! So does the pesto and the oven dried tomatoes. Making me mighty hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of leaving the cheese out of my pesto before freezing, I just blend it more after thawing, this makes more sense, thanks for that tip, I love your pizza, so fresh and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowzers! Looks so good!!! I just bought some Naan bread to make some quick pizzas this week too! Yours look wonderful!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum---looks delicious... It's time to go to bed--but you have made me hungry... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, fab! I just love everything in this post. Thanks for the pesto recipe and tips on freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not usually a fan of cherry tomatoes, but I've never dried them like that - I'll have to do it - I'll let you know if I like them. :D

    really, you could put just about anything on a pizza and I'd eat it. Well, except anchovies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipes and I've also just done both of them over this past weekend! LOL!!! But I didn't know why I shouldn't add the cheese, thanks for letting me know!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. In baseball parlance, your post is a triple play. Pesto, tomatoes and pizza sound make it like you've loaded the bases. I love that you used naan for the pizza base. I'll wager this was delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got to start purchasing naan bread for these easy to make pizzas. You've got me all turned on now to get out and pick all of my basil to make pesto for the winter. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the combination of flavors here. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pesto and this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful pizza, and you'll love that pesto through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great way to use those oven-dried tomatoes! Your pizza looks delicious. I'm hoping to still get some pesto made to freeze.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.