Friday, November 9, 2012

Apple Custard Cake

For me, apple season starts in September.  Even though it's still hot around here, I want a spicy apple cake in the oven ~ cinnamon and ginger aromas wafting about the house.   This past September when The Baker said he was going to try a new apple cake recipe, I was ready for the apple dessert feasting to begin!!  While I was out hunting and gathering, he was home peeling and preparing.  I was gone just long enough for those lovely spicy aromas to be full blown upon my return.  When I walked into the house with the groceries, I thought he hadn't started.  Then I noticed the oven was on and I snuck a peek (not recommended) and there was a cake just starting to turn a golden brown.  Did he forget the spices?  I asked.  I did put it delicately!  He pointed out that the recipe didn't call for any spice.  The first taste?  Oh my!  It was so delicious that I asked him to prepare it for my book club meeting this week.  There were eight happy ladies who left only a small piece as The Baker's reward.





Apple Custard Cake by The Baker as adapted from Cook's Illustrated

1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 8 wedges then sliced into 1/8" pieces, crosswise
1 Tbsp apple brandy
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg plus two yolks
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
Confectioner's sugar for dusting on top
Sour Cream
Light brown sugar

1.  Heat oven to 325.  Spray a 9 inch springform pan with oil.  Place pan on a baking sheet lined with foil since a small amount of the batter sometimes leaks out.  Microwave the apple slices until they are slightly soft and transparent (3 minutes in our microwave but can vary).  Toss the apples with the apple brandy and lemon juice.  Cool.
2.  Whisk 1 cup of the flour with the one cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until well mixed.  In another bowl, whisk the whole egg, oil, milk and vanilla until smooth.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Do not over mix.  Transfer one cup of the batter to a separate bowl and set aside.
3.  Add the egg yolks to the remaining batter and whisk to combine.  Using a spatula, gently fold in the cooled apple slices.  Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly, pressing on the apples to create an even and compact surface.
4.  Whisk the remaining 2 Tbsp flour into the cup of reserved batter and pour into the pan.  Smooth out.
Sprinkle the remaining 1 Tbsp of granulated sugar evenly over the cake.
5.  Bake in the middle of the oven until the center of cake is set (test with a toothpick until it comes out clean) and the top is brown.  In our oven, this takes a little over an hour to an hour and ten minutes.  Cool in the pan for about five minutes only.  Run a spatula around the edges to loosen and then cool in the pan, until completely cooled--about an hour.  Unmold onto a cake stand and sprinkle the confectioner's sugar over the top.
NOTE:  To kick it up a notch, stir light brown sugar (to taste) into sour cream and drizzle over a slice.  Quite unnecessary but delicious.

ENJOY!


27 comments:

  1. Oh, Bonnie, I love your asking about the spices!! LOL! Something yours truly would do, though I cannot ever imagine coming home to the delight of my beloved having made a cake... even out of a box! You are a lucky woman! blessings ~ tanna
    yes, those Little Men are growing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. num num... and what a great hubby to cook for your club. this makes me think i have never been in a club of any sort..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love apple cake recipes..Thank you for this one~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie look absolutely delicious I love apples in cakes and desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...that looks so gooooood!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks very yummy! It reminds me of the apple cake at Ikea, that the swedish people love. Of course I'm not going to compare a lovely homemade cake to Ikea though, just the type :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks amazing and one I definitely have to try. I made an apple cake a couple of weeks ago, we were invited for an impromptu chilli supper at some new neighbors and I couldn't go empty handed so I took my freshly baked cake. I didn't get the first bite. Am copying your recipe to take with me to the grocery store. Can't wait to make this.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all things apple - this looks delicious! Although my go to apple? Fuji every time - it holds it shape in pies, crumbles, etc. and has the perfect sweet/sour combo for me. Yours looks amazing!

    Hope you enjoy our weather this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like another great recipe tweaked by your husband. I feel a pin coming. Are you still having warm weather? It certainly wasn't when I was there earlier in the week. Brrr. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I bet the brandy is the key ingredient. It sounds wonderful... and looks amazing. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sure sounds good! Was the newspaper on strike??? Gotta chuckle as so many of The Baker's great creations come from there! Have a fun weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful cake! You're so lucky to have a baker in the house. Love those apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake looks so delicious and so very British.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can smell it baking! OOOOh I wish I had a Baker at home! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this recipe; I can almost taste the goodness.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,
    This looks absolutely delicious. Love the shot on the yellow plate which looks like Fiesta!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should know better than visit food blogs before I've eaten! How wonderful this looks and now I wish I had some for lunch! I love that your husband loves to bake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so wonderful. The best part? You coming home and this is already in the oven. We should all have a personal baker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you lend out your baker? After all, i did make you a hat. LOL
    It looks wonderful. I love custardy desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since I have an apple orchard, I'm always looking for new ways to use apples in cooking. This cake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie! OH, this looks so good and apples are so good right now! Yummy, thank you for the recipe and I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a glorious creation. This sounds delicious and I have to give this a try. I adore apple desserts so the photo alone makes me weak-kneed. Have a great weekend, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonnie, That looks AWESOME.... YUM... Your hubby is a really good 'baker' for sure... My hubby loves to cook --and he usually makes our entrees, following one of his special cookbooks... He says that cooking is therapy for him---and of course, I wouldn't keep him from doing it... ha ha

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. That apple custard cake sounds delicious. And to have your own special baker, that is priceless...Thanks for your comment on my 1st Class Clutter posting. What a small world, how amazing that you know the store and Jan and.....
    Have a great Sunday and Thanksgiving.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a terrific recipe! I have one similar to this, but I so like the way this sounds that I'll have to give your version a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a delicious cake Bonnie! I love Cook's Illustrated, their recipes are always outstanding! My husband wants this cake NOW! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.