Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Post Holiday Waldorf Salad

Our children came to celebrate Christmas with us the week before the actual event.  We had our usual feasts and Santa obliged by stopping in on December 22.  The weather was good enough to afford us several outings around town.  Too soon, they headed back to their homes on opposite coasts and we settled into our post holiday routine.  I was, admittedly, a bit low thinking of spending the actual day of Christmas without them but we had an invitation to dinner with dear friends.  These friends were most understanding as they had just had an early celebration with their children.  In past years, we all shared the holiday with our children gathered around as well.  Our conversation turned to those times as we came together around a roaring fire for a champagne toast before dinner.  Ah, dinner!  We feasted on a perfectly prepared rib roast accompanied by Yorkshire pudding, candied sweet potatoes and a salad of tomatoes and broccoli.  A pecan and chocolate tart was the nicest of endings to a fine meal.  We then gathered around to watch "A Child's Christmas in Wales".   It was a memorable occasion!!  

The time has come for simpler meals--at least for awhile.  While browsing the refrigerator and pantry the other day, I decided to prepare an old favorite.  One that had not graced our table in decades.  It all came about with two perfect Red Delicious apples from a holiday fruit basket.  I knew they'd need a little "help" in the taste department.  When I found a few celery ribs and some walnuts I knew it was time for Waldorf Salad.  The Baker was a bit skeptical but ended up admitting that it was quite tasty.


Waldorf Salad, Plain and Simple 

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
2 large apples, cored and chopped

1.  Whisk together the first five ingredients.
2.  Stir in the celery, walnuts and apples

ENJOY!


20 comments:

  1. It sounds healthy and great to me. I have a fruit basket in need of help too. I have to add some bits of avocado and persimmon. Mine will be a strange salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all the ingredients in the refrigerator and this is what I am making for lunch. Love this salad, but never think of making it; thanks.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel with a child or children not around for the holidays :( one of mine is clear over in London.
    Did your one son decide to stay in California?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make this very often. I haven't made in in a looong time... so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be tough during the holidays when our children, have children and families too. You weathered it well , and spending time with friends was a great way to enjoy the holiday.

    I was thinking about waldorf salad just recently. You may have just inspired me.

    Happy New Year.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had this salad before, but I have seen it in so many cookbooks. I might have to give it a try, thanks for the simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in pre-historic times, when I was newly married, I made jello Waldorf salad, something so typical of the 70's. So this big English dinner (drool) was it the one you just had with your friends, or what you used to eat with them when your kids were young?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a good Waldorf. How wonderful to have such good friends to soften the Day without your own. One of my blog friends called such folks "friemily". I thought that was perfect. Friends who are like family. Happy New Year, Bonnie! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. The salad sounds absolutely perfect to me! Wish I had one right now as a matter fact. Happy 2013:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simpler meals are definitely the new order, at least for January:D Love the freshness this salad exudes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plain and Simple is always the best choice! Happy New Year! Can you believe that we are practically without snow while folks south of us are pushing it everywhere? I have two little girls who are not happy at all with this weather situation.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so fortunate to have friends who share your same family situation, Bonnie. We take our family when we can get them!

    I haven't had Waldolf Salad in ages but I love it! I actually have Lobster Newburg for our gourmet group last weekend. Another deliious blast from the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny you should post this. I made it for the first time in ages once this past year and almost made it for a meal over the holidays. My mother used to make it fairly often. Its nice to see an actual recipe. It sounds like it's really cold where you live, but I suppose that's a given for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As we get older, Christmases change, don't they? Kids and grandkids scattered and can't always get back home. Still, you got to see everyone and it sounds like you had a wonderful day with good friends and good food.
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greg's mother always made Waldorf Salad! A Christmas classic!!
    Sounds like you had a good holiday!!
    Happy New Year!
    xo kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have loved Waldorf Salad all my life! Since getting married and having children, though, I've had to make it with pecans instead of walnuts, since hubby and 1 child are allergic to walnuts.

    Blessings on your new year,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, My husband introduced me to Waldorf salad when we first met. It is one of our favorites, although we don't make it often. I think it is a great holiday dish. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you a wonderful New Year. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Waldorf is one of my favorite salads and it's made even more special by the family visiting during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.