Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pound Cake, Plain and Simple

We have the nicest neighbors.  They live in a sweet two-story victorian house built in 1870 and painted a pale yellow.  The surrounding flower gardens have been a sight to behold through the years.  Our first winter here, we awoke to find our snow already shoveled.  It was 7 a.m.!  When we called to thank them, they said it was a joy for them to shovel in the early morning hours.  We soon realized that, in order to beat them to the shoveling, we would have to rise by 3 a.m.!  So, we let them have their pleasure and repaid them with dinner invitations and baked treats.  They are older now and less able to tend their large gardens or shovel snow.  The gardens have diminished and we shovel our own snow.

A few weeks ago, the gentleman became ill and spent a week in the hospital.  Plain pound cake is his favorite.  It's my favorite too.  The Baker likes his pound cake "dressed up" more.  So we reversed roles and I baked some pound cakes for Ray and me.  I sent him two.  One to have right away and one to "age".  I think the cakes improve as they sit for a day or two.  This recipe was my mother's.  She started her cake in a cold oven but I use a preheated oven.  I don't find that it makes much of a difference.  I'm sure she wouldn't agree.  In any case, her cake(s) bring with them sweet memories in more ways than one.  I hope you'll give this simple treat a try.





Just Plain Pound Cake

1/2 pound butter at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each of vanilla and almond extract
5 large eggs

Heat oven to 350F.  I used three of the 7 by 3 1/2 by 2 inch paper bakers from King Arthur.  Even though you don't have to, I always grease the bottoms of the bakers.

1.  Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2.  Sift the flour once and add to the butter/sugar mixture.  Stir on low just enough to blend.
3.  Add the vanilla and almond extract and stir well.  Add eggs, once at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4.  Spoon into the three loaf pans and smooth.
5.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and a tester comes out clean.

NOTE:  You can bake in a greased and floured bundt cake pan.  The larger cake will need about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to bake.

ENJOY!




21 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have neighbors like that! I am sure he will appreciate your kind gift immensely! And you KNOW I am going to be making this delightful cake one day this week!
    Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe with us.
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake look fantastic dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good...and easy! And I love your bird bags! I so hope your neighbor will be alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it YOUNG I love it AGED and I know he was so pleased to get it. the packaging is beautiful to... it is good to have friends as nieghbors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What nice neighbors! I'm sure he was thrilled with your cake. It sounds delicious; and I'm with you, Bonnie, on the plain pound cake. Sweet memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made a couple of pound cakes for neighbors for Christmas. I put m. cherries in the batter and put a little of the juice from the jar in instead of vanilla and almond flavoring. It was delicious.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! I've been wanting to try baking with the cold oven method and this might be my recipe:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plain pound cake would be my favorite in the world. So glad to have a recipe. I have had some 'doctored up' ones ---but prefer the plain ones like this. Thanks so much... This has made me SO hungry.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look very yummy! I' m sure your neighbor
    was very grateful.

    M :)




    ReplyDelete
  10. Your neighbors sound like very special people! I hope he returns home in good health. Your lovely pound cake must have cheered him very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I too love a plain pound cake. I am so glad you shared this recipe as I don't have a copy of my mother's. My favorite piece was from the center where it cracked open. Your neighbors sound very special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to have neighbors like that. You are very blessed. You were so sweet to bake him pound cakes. I wish you were my neighbor too :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom's signature dessert was pound cake, a slice of mint ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate. Sweet memories for me, too.

    What a sweet surprise for your neighbor.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Plain pound cake is my favorite, too, Bonnie. =) I hope your neighbor is feeling well soon. They sound like the kind of neighbors we would all want.

    I am going to have to look for some of those paper baking pans!! What a great idea! Thanks for the recipe AND that little nugget. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you do have very special neighbors, Bonnie. And I'm sure they appreciated receiving your lovely poundcake. Your recipe reminds me of the cake my grandmother used to make. She always frosted hers but I actually like it better without that extra sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a cake my mom made often. I don't know if the recipe is the same but the memories are there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can do so much with plain pound cake. This is very similar to a recipe I've used for years as given to me by the mother-in-law. Thanks for the lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice to have neighbors like that. In SoCal we hardly knew our neighbors. In MT, all the neighbors get together... it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the recipe. My mother had a recipe for a wonderful sour cream pound cake, also a chocolate pound cake that was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful thing to do for your neighbor, they sound like the best neighbors to have... and I am sure they think the same of you.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.