Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Our odd weather continues.  We've had almost no measurable snowfall this winter and, contrary to how it sounds, a winter draught is not good.  The weekend forecast called for a night and day of rain/sleet/snow.  We planned a Sunday inside.  A slow day of reading the newspaper and puttering around.  A fire in the fireplace.  Sunday dawned gray-faced but dry.  The inclement weather that was to have started late Saturday had not materialized.  In fact, we ended up with only a small period of rain late in the day.  Nevertheless, I persuaded The Baker to make us a cup of pumpkin spice latte to sip by the fireside.  It's a recipe from the Chicago Tribune that we enjoyed last year.  This fall, I purposely froze a few small bags (3 tbsps each) of pumpkin puree for just such sipping occasions this winter.

I'm a coffee purist in that I don't care for flavored coffees.  And, up until the point that my sister thrust a pumpkin spice latte from Starbuck's in my hand on a fall visit a few year's ago, I liked my latte's pure as well.  Much to my surprise, the drink was delicious.  I think this recipe is just as good.  I hope you'll give it a  try.



DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte from the Chicago Tribune 

For 2 servings:

2 cups of 1% milk (or whatever % you like)
3 tbsp pumpkin puree
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon (more for sprinkling)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup strong brewed coffee
Whipped cream, optional (well, not really optional)

Combine milk, pumpkin and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until steaming and the sugar is melted.  Remove from heat.

Stir in the vanilla and spices.  Whisk until foamy.

Pour into two heated mugs, filling each only half way; top off with the coffee.  Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.

Curl up in front of a roaring fire

18 comments:

  1. this i love... never thought of pumpkin spice coffee... this is a coffee dessert. we are like you, not lack of snow but lack of rain..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be a coffee purist too, but since getting pregnant, I've tried to expand to more milky treats! Thank you for sharing. This post was a bright way to warm up a my cold Tuesday morning. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so simple - love it! I am with you on the weather - so crazy! It did rain and sleet a lot by us - but we are closer to the Wisconsin border - you live in the South suburbs??

    Enjoy today before we have to bring our coats out by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie. I too, am a coffee purist. I like my coffee with a bit of half and half. I do, however, enjoy the pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, and also the seasonal pumpkin spice creamer occasionally. I will be bookmarking this, and making some later!!! Looks yummy for a cold night by the fire!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful! Enough to make one pine for more damp and rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather here in AZ has been so wacky. We were in the 20s and then the next week in the 80s. This past weekend it rained all weekend, which never happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in Italy I actually drank espresso and macchiattos. Unusual for me since normally I only have frozen coffee or in a chocolate bar. I do love the lattes at Starbucks though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to Starbucks but your coffee sure sound very flavorful:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good, even though I'm a coffee purist too, drinking it strong, black and hot, and don't go for latte's, etc. I was to Starbucks for the first time in my life just a week ago, and got a caramel latte, good! My family and friends rave about Starbucks, but I still don't get it!

    Nor do I get this weather! Rain is pouring down now, still in mid 50's and it's very dark. I'm sure it's pretty much the same by you so get ready for winter to return soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love the Pumpkin spice from Starbucks and I will love this too. The intense cold has left for a bit....feels like spring today. Wish it would stay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious... I enjoyed Pumpkin Spice Coffee all through the holidays. SO special!!!! Bet the latte is good also... YUM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a coffee purist, too, Bonnie. But, with your endorsement, this sounds like something I need to give a try. ;) There has been snow in your old stomping grounds; hope you get some kind of moisture soon. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm like you with the flavored coffees -- I stay away from them. And not big on lattes either, but if the moment is right ... Someone gave me a bag of pumpkin flavored coffee. I haven't opened it yet. Maybe I'd be delightfully surprised! In our corner of the world, the weather people seem to have lost their touch in accuracy. We'll see if their predictions are right today for our summer-type storms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You probably would have never ordered this, but since your sister thrust it into your hand, you found you liked it! Reminded me of my girlfriend and I (years ago) would go into dress shops and choose a dress for each other. At first glance it wasn't something either of us would wear, but once we tried it on, we liked it. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious way to warm up on a cold winter day. I'm coming to Chicago on Wednesday and am praying that the weather cooperates. Flight delays in February are always a good possibility. Crazy weather everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This weather we're having in the Midwest has been so strange the past two winters. As much as I don't miss the snow I know the lack of precipitation is not good.

    Your pumpkin latte sounds perfect for these chilly days we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've had only a dusting of snow, but it has definitely been cold enough for a wonderful warm libation such as this one. :) Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.