Thursday, February 7, 2013

Apple, Bacon, Onion and Cheese Turnovers

Sometimes I slump into a cooking rut!  It usually happens most often in the bleak midwinter.  The holidays are over.  My last birthday celebration of the year (you know I have more than one--it is the right of a January baby) has been enjoyed.  I'm looking at using up what is in the refrigerator, freezer and pantry.  Sometimes really good meals come together.  Sometimes they don't.  

When this recipe came along in the Chicago Tribune, I had everything on hand to give it a try.  It was a gray and snowy day.  We needed something tasty on the table.  This more than provided that treat.  I'll make it again and play around with the filling.  I have changed the recipe a bit and successfully halved it.  Next time, I'll do the full recipe and freeze part of it as suggested in the original recipe.

The Trib gave a nod to Emma Christensen at TheKitchn for this delicious dish and I was delighted to find that blog.  It contains a wealth of information about cooking and is loaded with delicious recipes.  For some reason, I cannot link directly to the recipe.  Go on over and type "turnovers" in the search box.  It will take you right to the original recipe.  






Apple, Bacon and Caramelized Onion Turnovers inspired by the  Chicago Tribune and TheKitchn

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
4 strips bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cooking apple in small dice
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp water

1.  Thaw the puff pastry overnight in the refrigerator.
2.  In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the bacon until all the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp.  Remove to a paper towel to drain.  Pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat.
3.  In the remaining fat,  slowly saute the onions with a pinch of salt until they are almost a slurry and golden.  This will take about thirty minutes.
4.  Add the apples and cook until they are slightly softened, another five minutes or so.  Add another pinch of salt and deglaze the pan with the vinegar.  Cook down until the pan is nearly dry.  Combine with the bacon mixture and allow to cool a bit.  Stir in the cheese.
5.  Heat oven to 400.  Sprinkle a board with a light dusting of flour.  Unfold the pastry and flatten with a rolling pin.  Cut into four equal squares.
6.  Divide the mixture among the four squares, placing it in the middle of each square.  Wet the edges with the egg wash mixture and fold the squares into triangles, pressing lightly the edges together.  Poke a couple of vent holes in the top of each triangle with a sharp knife and brush each lightly with the remaining egg wash mixture.  Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet, spaced several inches apart.
7.  Bake until the turnovers are browning at the tips and golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

ENJOY!

28 comments:

  1. I think this is a great treat for this time of the year. I make and apple and onion chutney so I can imagine all the good flavors going on on the turnovers with the bacon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that blogging and all of the wonderful ideas we get from our friends keep our kitchens interesting during the bleak winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful... what a great warming treat to eat and a thoroughly winning combination of ingredients too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so good!!!! Love it when a pantry/freezer clean out turns out a delicious meal!!!
    Cold with rain coming here!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, these are beautiful!!! And the color and crispness and amount of browning...they look like they were made at a fancy cafe or bistro. I can picture them in one in France now, the kind where they have little round tables, some tables are outside and they all sit around and smoke after they eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to be having them at one of those little tables in France! I'll leave off the smoking though!!

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious, Bonnie... Makes me hungry!!!! I would never have thought about adding apples to a dish like that... That's neat. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would love this combination. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sans the onions, I would be all over this! Thanks for your sweet comments about our dog - I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at puff pastry. Drool...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound wonderful!! I definitely want to make them and am "pinning" the recipe.

    Oh, I am a January baby too! Hope your birthday celebration was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing like a warm kitchen and good smells to chase away the winter blues.
    I am going to make this for my knitting party. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a very tasty meal! I love thekitchn, it's one of my daily reads:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look rich and satisfying, Bonnie!! And, kind of special and elegant! You sure come up with some good things when you are in a "slump". blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound like a wonderful way to get out of a cooking rut. I have everything I need for these- maybe they'll help me out of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pastry in turnovers. This looks so tasty and savory with the caramelized onions. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg,,,,,the pic with the turnover is half in slaying me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound wonderful for a cold, winter night, Bonnie! What a delicious, savory twist on an apple turnover.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Kitchn is a great site. Very inspirational. Glad you found and shared. These turnovers look just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, I love savory turnovers. The ingredients are some of my favorites. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are staying safe and warm. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super savory turnover recipe, Bonnie. I bet everyone loved them. The combo of ingredients is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound delicious and very comforting for a rainy day! They'll make a nice change for a quick weekday supper.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a find! I speak now of both the recipe and the blog. This looks amazing and sounds delicious. It and would be perfect for a gray Oregon supper. I hope your week is off to a great start. Have a good day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tiene un aspecto muy bueno me encanta ,abrazos y abrazos..

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.