Monday, February 25, 2013

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

We only watched the last forty five minutes or so of the Academy Awards last evening.  I fell asleep for part of that time.  Daniel Day Lewis is a favorite of mine.  Even though I have yet to see "Lincoln", I'm sure DDL deserved the award.  I love Adele and was pleased that she won for "Skyfall" which I saw--the first James Bond for me in a couple of decades.  We opted to view the contemporary mystery on PBS instead.  First, we had our last (for this season) dinner culled from our dwindling refrigerator and pantry.  I pulled out chicken thighs and a jar of marinated artichoke hearts and put together this dish which we've enjoyed many times over the years.  The recipe is on a stained and yellowed recipe card.  It is delicious over steamed rice but there was none.  I opted for garlic and buttered French bread toast which was just fine.

After admiring my pristine refrigerator and pantry, I'm off to the grocery store ahead of the blizzard that is in our forecast for tomorrow.  So far, the weather people have been wrong but I'm taking no chances!


Chicken and Artichoke Casserole 

6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, lightly browned (but not cooked through) and then cut into bite-sized pieces
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 cups marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced

Preheat oven to 350
1.  Place the chicken and artichoke hearts in a large, shallow baking dish.
2.  In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour stirring well for one minute.  Whisk in the milk until well incorporated.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir until slightly thickened.
3.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese and the wine.  Add the chicken stock and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.  Pour over the chicken and artichoke hearts.  Place the dish on a rimmed baking sheet, cover with foil and bake for one hour.

ENJOY!


27 comments:

  1. I saw the last little bit of the Oscars as well, had leftovers for dinner and settled in for the night. This would have been a comforting dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you put together a delicious meal. Sometimes it's fun to find things in the frig/freezer and make a special dish with those surprises....

    Stay safe and warm.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got 8 inches yesterday! I wish I'd had this comforting dish on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds and looks delicious and will try this recipe soon. I like the idea of putting it over rice and I think I'll use some Jasmine rice. Thank you for sharing a tried and true recipe.

    Carolyn/A Southerner's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did see Daniel Day Lewis win, and also Adelle sing Skyfall. But that is all. Glad to hear that song won. I adored Bond as a teenager, but have not seen one in decades. Is the new Bond movie good? If so, I will get it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the Oscars to the end (I was at my girlfriends' Oscar party). DDL was fantastic in Lincoln and completely deserved the award. I was happy to see Ang Lee win for Life of Pi, too. We're expecting a blizzard tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I passed on the Oscars too, but I always do. Watching all the BS that goes on nauseates me. And from all reports, it was better to have missed it. I approved the winners when I saw them this morning. Like Argo a lot...still have not seen Lincoln though. Last night I watched Hitchcock in place of the Oscars. Love Helen Mirren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the combo! I'm sure it tastes awesome! I'll definitely give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I can't believe you are having more snow-- I thought you had some on the weekend. I still am working on clearing out the pantry; almost done with the freezer. Your recipe looks like a keeper=--two of my favorite ingredients. And yes, per your comment, I miss those days too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound good. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to go shopping to start stocking up again! Glad you're getting out before the possible storm. Your dinner sounds great. Have a warm fun day tomorrow:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this dish reminds me so much of growing up. My mom would make this in her own way all the time. Its just delicious. Love your version

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious! Hope you got all stocked up and ready to weather the storm. :) Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that looks good! I love thighs...they have so much more flavor!!
    xo Kris
    STAY warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love artichokes and baked in that cheesy wine sauce with chicken has to be delicious. The snow just will not stop here...it is our third snowiest winter on record so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great meal for a lazy Sunday supper. It sounds wonderful. I hope the storm misses you. At any rate, stay warm and dry and enjoy the week to come. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds and looks ever so flavoursome and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this kind of dish that you can make from your pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like it lives up to its yellowed and much used status! Hope your week has been gentle, Bonnie! blessings ~ tanna
    ps Amanda says Lincoln is a "must see". We've yet to make it to the show either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds delicious Bonnie and I love that you've used thighs instead of breasts.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie - Are you snowed in? My daughter says she has plenty at her house. Good thing you got your shopping trip in before it hit. Chicken and artichokes are a delicious combo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aren't you so ready for spring weather in our neck of the woods? Every time they mention a chance of snow, I am like NOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful combination of flavors, Bonnie! I would love this and the use of tender chicken thigh - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet friend, how did you know? I adore artichokes, and I've never thought of doing a casserole like this. Thank you so much for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds really good... bet it'd be good over pasta, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. perfect! Perfect to cook for dinner, perfect to eat and i love making dishes like this for dinner guests

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.