Monday, February 11, 2013

Yogurt Cake

One day last week, The Baker brought a book down, laid it on my desk and said "I think you should read this one".  The title was Bringing Up Bebe.  He saw my confusion.  After all, our boys are grown. He explained that it was a good book even if someone did not have, or ever plan to have, children.  A book that explained how the French raise their children.  Well, I wasn't convinced to sit aside my current reads and the book was due back to the library in a few days.  Yesterday, he said he needed oven time (I had planned to bake cookies) to bake a yogurt cake.  "A new recipe" I asked?  "Yes!"

Here it is, cooling.  The Baker has learned to call me for a photo of his creations just in case....!  It was delicious so he handed me a copy of the recipe.  "It's from Bringing Up Bebe."  Hmm, maybe I should read the book.  I then Googled the recipe and found several blogs that have used it.  I also found that they all had baked it with small children--one three-year old had done it almost single handedly.  So, here it is from "The Baker" (who did it single handedly as well) with a few measurement adjustments and just a tiny bit of tweaking in the instructions.  



Yogurt Cake from Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman and The Baker

2 six-ounce containers plain whole-milk yogurt at room temperature
2 eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups of frozen berries (if you like).  The Baker used mixed berries.

Preheat the oven to 375

1.  Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2.  Combine the yogurt with the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.
3.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until the ingredients are just combined.  Do not overmix.
4.  Stir in the frozen berries if using.
5.  Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out.  It is a stiff batter.
6.  Bake for 35 minutes and test with a toothpick.  It may need additional baking time but watch closely.  It should be slightly crispy on the outside but spring back when lightly pressed on.
7.  Cool on a wire rack and turn out onto a cake plate until completely cooled.



ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. i will not read the book but i would love to eat that cake. nummm nummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to get the book too. I love to bake with yogurt as it gives the baked goods a nice tangy and moist crumb that I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a Baker :) I'll have to try this with my 3-year-old grandson next time he's here! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read that book, but heard a lot about it when it came out, and saw interviews with the author. She was kind of nerdy, but really captured the way French kids are brought up. I witnessed it first hand while living there. She is spot on, and that is why they are not picky eaters, and way more healthy I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project to do with the kids, and it is also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will be making this with Aidan and Zoe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the kind of cakes I love for breakfast-yum:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only imagine how moist this must be! And look at all the fruit! Thank you for sharing this sweet post. I hope you are having a wonderful week of good food, love, and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so moist. I wanted to bake cookies this weekend, but didn't have the chance. You are making my hope of a successful lent difficult. I must find someone, other than my own weaknesses, to blame:). Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderfully simple. I am going to try it with the grands and think I'll try to use some fresh fruit.

    Thank you, thank you.

    Love across the cold miles.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm...looks delicious! I've saved the recipe- it looks like a good, easy recipe to cook in my classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tiene un aspecto muy bueno me encanta ,abrazos y abrazos..

    ReplyDelete
  14. this cake look delicious!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very moist and I shall have to come back tomorrow (at work) and print it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That picture really sells the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious - and so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flavorful cake... first time here. happy to follow

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.