Friday, May 10, 2013

Spinach Pie for Mother?




"For finding your mother,
there's one certain test.
You must look for the 
one who loves you the best."
~ David Kirk

Wishing all of you a happy Mother's Day spent with
those who love you the best.

When The Baker asked if I'd like to go out for dinner on Mother's Day I declined.  Instead, I told him how I'd like to spend the day.  I want to wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the Chicago Tribune.  I'd like to putter a bit in the garden before a brunch of bagels and lox with all the trimmings and more of the Trib.  In the afternoon, perhaps an old movie or a nap or both.  Dinner can be his choice as long as it includes a small steak, mushrooms simmered in wine, a few roasted potatoes and an excellent bottle of wine.  I would, of course, be the happiest spending it with the children but they are far away.  

If lox and bagels aren't your thing, perhaps this spinach pie might be the perfect alternative.  Although the spinach didn't come from the White House's south lawn garden, it was still quite delicious.  I did make a few changes to the recipe that appeared in the magazine section of the Tribune last Sunday.  




White House Spinach Pie from Michelle Obama and slightly "tweaked" by me

1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pound fresh spinach, washed and dried
Salt and Pepper to taste
a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup 1 or 2% milk
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp thyme (fresh if you have it)
6 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled
8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1.  Heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion for about five minutes (until transparent), add the garlic and saute another minute.  Add the spinach, a little at a time, and cook until wilted down.
Pour off as much liquid in the pan as possible and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Set aside to cool.
2.  Whisk together the eggs, half and half and milk.  Add the lemon zest and thyme.  Stir in the spinach mixture, the feta cheese and half of the Swiss cheese and mix well.
3.  Set the pie pan on a rimmed baking sheet and pour the spinach mixture in.  Sprinkle the remainder of the Swiss cheese evenly over the top.
4.  Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes until the center of the pie is set.  Cool for ten minutes.



ENJOY!

24 comments:

  1. phooey, this looks great and you know i don't cook, so now i have to run off to the white house to try some with the obama's. the day you described for Mothers day is what i do 7 days a week, except for the lox, don't know what that is, i put peanut butter on my bagel, smuckers chunky all natural...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day:)
    I am not a going out person either..:)
    Always miss my mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, your Mother's Day plans sounds lovely...especially the old movie part!! I hope you have a wonderful day.

    And thanks for the recipe for the spinach pie. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much wisdom in just telling your family how you would like to spend your Mother's Day. Your sounds delicious in every way.

    Happy Mother's Day, Bonnie.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your day sounds wonderful. Mine will be spent with family....lots of family because we do live near all of them. Which means I'll be cook for the day, oh well =) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... feta & spinach. One of my favorite flavor combos. Sounds like you have a relaxing day planned and I'm glad you gave The Baker his choice of dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your day is exactly what I would want!!!! Though I am unable to putter in the garden anymore, I would sit and smell the flowers and watch the neighborhood goings-on. So the day sounds divine, and I hope you do it exactly as planned! I bet the Trib is huge, did they have a large obituary to Roger Ebert? We love getting the Washington Post, and a few times a year I buy the Times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spinach pie looks delicious Bonnie. Enjoy your mother's day. I think your plans sound splendid to me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. My kind of pie. I hope you have the mother's day you are dreaming of (well, second best ... but it sounds good to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a delicious savory pie! Happy Mother's Day, it sounds like you have a great one planned-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of your day, Bonnie! It sounds perfect to me - right down to the steaks, sides and good bottle of wine :). I would love the spinach pie too. It does sound delicious.

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your day sounds great. I hope you enjoy it. And the spinach pie looks so good. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Mothers Day can be spent however you like. It sounds like a good way to me. By the way Happy Mothers Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing a wonderful Mother's Day spent just how you want. My daughter lives far away as well. She surprised me last year, so I am on my own this year. I have tons of school work to keep me busy. I hope to get out in the garden for a bit. I have a few flats needing to be planted. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. The spinachs pie look awesome! Hope you have an amazing day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A perfect day Bonnie! The spinach pie looks delicious. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day, Bonnie. Your plan sounds PERFECT. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Friend, We are home --and trying to get back to 'normal' life... ha ha.. Had a great time at the beach --but it's nice to be home. Irises, Azaleas and Rhododendrons are all blooming here. Gorgeous!!!!

    Your mother is a beautiful woman. And that Spinach Pie looks delicious... Sounds like you will have a perfect Mother's Day. Our kids are all far away also--but I will see one of mine on Monday!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know how to do Mother's Day just right....Love your menu.

    I think Michelle Obama's Spinach pie looks really good too. I saw her garden this past spring in D.C. ( you can see it from the road) very, very cool.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely missed this recipe in the Trib. It sounds and looks delicious! I like the pic of your mom, she looks pretty and fun-loving. Your plans for today sound great to me, my idea of a good day! Our "kids" came over early this morning, and I made them all a big breakfast, and now I'm going to to read the Tribune. Too chilly to work outside today. Have a good day, my friend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks incredible! I would definitely try making it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Momma day sounds perfect to me! I hate going out on Mother's Day. I feel rushed, its usually expensive and not relaxing at all!

    Love that spinach dish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. it sounds like you had a great mother's day.

    thank you for this great recipe, too.
    looks incredibly yummy!

    my day has already started well by visiting your lovely blog!

    have a wonderful wednesday!:))

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.