Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cornmeal Cranberry Muffins

It's a dark and stormy morning here.  The sort of Sunday morning that needs something warm from the oven.  Cranberries are in the markets now.  That means they are in our refrigerator and, for future use, in the freezer.  They'll share the menu with apples for a while--maybe in combination at some point.  This recipe is so easy to pull together.  No need to bring out the big mixers.  A sturdy spoon and medium muscle power is all one needs!  Oh, and a pot of steaming coffee and the Sunday Chicago Tribune.  


Cornmeal Cranberry Muffins (from another of my recipe cards)

1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp orange zest (optional)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup cranberries

1.  Sift the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center.  Stir the buttermilk, orange juice and zest, melted butter and egg together and pour into the well.  Stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.  Fold in the cranberries.  Spoon batter evenly into ten paper-lined muffin tins.

2.  Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.  Muffins should be lightly browned and firm to the touch.  Cool.

ENJOY!


17 comments:

  1. i love cornbread and i love cranberry so what not to love

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found those cute little muffin liners:)

    Me too..cranberries..I love~

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound great, LOVE the addition of cornmeal! Happy Sunday-stay dry:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm... sounds interesting. I like corn muffins ---and I like cranberries... Why not put them together? YUM.. thanks.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pinning this! It looks delicious. Thankful your day turned out OK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love cranberries I find here sometimes especially dry cranberries and enjoy them.
    Love this recipe.xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great and in season I need to try and use cranberries more

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like Sandra, I like cornbread and I like cranberries! I will be making this recipe. BTW hope you are doing OK there with the crazy weather. We had a beautiful day today but the mornings are quite chilly. xo.

    ps - you used fresh cranberries not dried right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet these are so yummy!
    Will have to remember these.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your area escaped the crazy weather, Bonnie. I love cornbrerad -- I have all the ingredients I need on hand to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I was worried about you last night before we went to bed and was much relieved this morning to find that you are okay. Whew.

    Cornmeal and cranberries are fabulous together. I have made a similar muffin and I husband adored it. Stay safe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love recipes that require no mixer. ;) Cranberries are one of Evan's favorite things! Thank you for sharing this little goodie. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a super idea, Bonnie. Cornmeal muffins with cranberries! Will definitely try it. Old recipes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, you got me at muffin, but hooked me on cornmeal and cranberries! What a Sunday that was! We have a humongous pile of sticks and branches in the backyard that we picked up today after super windy yesterday. And it's still windy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I have to try these. I'm pinning the recipe so I can find it again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never tried cornmeal for sweets, I can't wait to use your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.