Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Simple Friday Dinner



Growing up, my family almost always had seafood for dinner on Fridays. Since we were not catholic, I'm not sure how the tradition started. I think it had to do with Friday being the day my mother dressed up and took a bus downtown to the city market. She'd want me to point out that the above photo was from a much earlier time as the mode of transportation seems, here, to be by horse drawn wagons. I will also point out that the market remains today but has become much more. Many of the old buildings have been turned into art galleries, upscale restaurants and gift shops. The rows of awning-covered cement tables are, as in the long ago, filled with fruits, vegetables, canned goods, honey and jams. At the time that mother made her shopping trips, there was a fish monger offering fresh seafood on Fridays. Roanoke, in the southern tip of the Shenandoah Valley, took full advantage of that seafood store. With the advent of supermarkets, the need for the store dwindled and it closed years ago. Back in the day, mother always came home with some type of fish wrapped in white butcher's paper.

My sisters and I meet back in Roanoke every year in October. We always have a day on the market. At that time, the stalls are filled with locally grown apples, cider, late corn and Bent Mountain cabbage. Some offer mums, asters and great branches of flaming orange bittersweat berries. We stroll in and out of the shops and have lunch at the Roanoke Weiner Stand. It's a limited menu of hot dogs, fries and soft drinks. We sit at the window counter and watch passersby and reminisce. The little restaurant has been there over sixty years.

I'm already planning for fall and spring has barely arrived!

I've usually held steadfast to some sort of seafood on Fridays. Last night's dinner was a simple lemon garlic baked shrimp with oven-roasted roma tomatoes and a crisp toasted baguette to "sop" up the garlicky sauce. Since it's just the two of us most Fridays, this recipe serves two but could easily be expanded. I'm not sure, now, where I got the recipe because it has been in my file for years.


LEMON GARLIC BAKED SHRIMP

2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 pound medium shrimp
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Thinly slice garlic and shell the shrimp. Coarsely chop the parsley.

In an 8 inch shallow baking pan, bake the garlic in oil in the middle of the oven for about five minutes, or until lightly colored. Watch carefully as burned garlic is bitter!

Add shrimp, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.

Bake, turning shrimp once, until just cooked through. This will take about 6 to 8 minutes.

Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice and the parsley over and serve.

Makes 2 generous servings.

ENJOY!

29 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delicious way to enjoy shrimp. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture is delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your profile on another page. Glad I read your informative and well-writen blog. Look forward to following you here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks amazing! I might try it this week. We love having seafood and this will be a great addition! Thanks for the "vote" on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though it's almost eleven o'clock at night when I'm reading this, my mouth is watering at that recipe! It looks so delicious and I've been basically picking at junk all day --

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how this is so simple but also delicious. nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I had to click on this old picture of the market for a better look. What a wonderful family story revolving around this market!! It has been a constant in your lives. And how wonderful that you and your sisters can relive all this each year with the wonderful memories. I can smell and taste it all as I read this post. I live only a little over an hour away, I'll have to go this summer, find the hotdog stand, and check it out!! I LOVE posts with pictures of food plates, and your dinner looks just yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I'm thinking I'm going to love reading your blog!!! Food pictures, recipes, and great writing, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love shrimp so much. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a lovely recipe and your photo is picture perfect. I hope you have had a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. So enjoyed the posting . . lovely story behind photo. What great memories you have. That food looks fabulous. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds simple and so good! I love this recipe...thanks! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love shrimp. prepared in many different ways/ This looks delicious!
    Thanks for visiting, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my - that looks so good! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for stopping by my blog. This dish looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog! The shrimp (and the tomatoes) look yummy.

    I edit my photos with picnik, a web-based photo editing tool (now run by Google). You can use it for free at www.picnik.com or pay a premium for a full-version with more features. You can switch the photo to black and white, then just color in the areas you want to highlight. Picnik is really simple to use and somewhat addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi and I have loved reading your story! I am certainly going to make that shrimp dish. We live where we can buy fresh shrimp right from the Gulf of Mexico. Yummy!
    Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, does that look GOOD! And roasted tomatoes-do you drizzle with oil too? I'm liking your blog more and more!
    PS. thanks for visiting Rustique Gallery. I just want to say, not talent, but paper, glue and a sense of humor! Have a great week!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this does look yummy! I love shrimp. You made a very sweet visit to my last tablescape. Yes Mechanicsville is right outside of Richmond. In Hanover County. My sister lives in Roanoke -- Virginia in October is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This shrimp sounds and looks delicious. I'm having a girl's dinner on Thursday, I'm gonna give this a try.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am going to enjoy exploring yours.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would definitely love this recipe as I am a shrimp fanatic! Your photo of the plate is gorgeous and has me craving some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've enjoyed this market as we wandered around Roanoke a few years ago. That's so cool the way you sisters have a reunion there every year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bonnie, That market in Roanoke sounds like a wonderful place... I'd love it---and I'll bet those are the best hotdogs in the world. How neat to meet your sisters there every year in October.

    I grew up west of Roanoke in Big Stone Gap.... My brother went to Va. Tech to college.... Roanoke is a beautiful place... I'll bet you miss it..

    Your shrimp dinner sounds wonderful... Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! Does this look good for any day of the week! Thanks for your very sweet visit to my table -- yes! Come on back to Virginia -- there are so many beautiful places here and the winters are not nearly as hard as Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks so colorful and delicious! So tasty dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks wonderful....thank you for your nice comments on my blog. You have a great blog here and I will be bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for visiting my blog because now I have discovered yours. It is remarkable to find new blogs every day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The shrimp looks amazing...even though I've been on a vegetarian kick. Are the tomatoes roasted? They look delicious as well.

    Tee

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.