Thursday, August 12, 2010

From Beach to Biscuits

I'm refreshed, invigorated and ready to face another hot day. Cooler weather is on the way!!

Lake Michigan offered some cooling breezes but it was still quite hot on it's sandy shore. It was cool in the Dunes State Park Nature Center and, not really being beach people, we spent a lot of time inside refreshing our knowledge about the area and cooling off. The wooded walkways around the Nature Center are alive with native flora and fauna and are easily navigated.

I was feeling a little (just a wee bit) guilty for having left Andrew beind painting the outside cellar stairs. When I arrived home from my day of fun and frolic with friends, I was even too tired to make anything much for dinner. A neighbor had dropped off a few summer squash and small zucchinis. I sauteed them with new potatoes and knob onions and added all to scrambled eggs.

Lastly, I pulled these biscuits from the freezer and heated them. It turned out to be a rather special meal after all.


SOUTHERN BISCUITS

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, ice cold
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450

Combine dry ingredients in bowl of a food processor.

Cut the butter into chunks (about 1/2 tbsp each) and pulse into flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal. This only takes a few pulses.

Add the buttermilk and pulse just until combined. If mixture appears on the dry side, add a little more buttermilk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board.

Ever so gently, pat (don't use a rolling pin) the dough out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.

Cut into rounds.

Gently knead the scraps together to cut out more. These last biscuits will not be as flaky or as pretty but will be tasty.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake about 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.

NOTE: You can freeze the biscuits unbaked and bake them later. Cut out the biscuits and freeze on a cookie sheet. When frozen, place in freezer bag. To bake from frozen, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. Watch closely during last five minutes.

NOTE: The key to making good biscuits is in the handling. Never overwork the dough. Always pat the dough out rather than using a rolling pin. Always serve with lots of real butter and good jam!!

ENJOY

30 comments:

  1. We all need a day of frolic! Your meal does sound perfect especially with those gret loking biscuits.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun at the Dunes, Bonnie. We all need those kinds of getaways...That's why I loved our recent trip to the Blue Ridge so much...

    Hope you do get some cooler weather... We are still hotter than hot here --with no relief coming this week. It is discouraging... Oh Well!!! Tis Life... ha

    Have a great day...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day and it's always good to get away! Love Lake Michigan and it's going to be another hot day today. I just heard them say the heat index will be 110 degrees. Your biscuits are my kind of biscuits for sure! I'm copying the recipe and will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too shabby! The biscuits look seriously excellent. Here's to some cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Gramma used to make the fluffiest Southern biscuits ever. Sigh. I miss them. Yours look very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing better than homemade biscuits. That's the way to make any meal very special. Your eggs sound delicious. It sounds like you had a lovely day with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, when I was in the south I could never master the art of making these WITHOUT A RECIPE so I was never a true woman.

    Sad but true - - -

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a fabulous meal. The biscuits look wonderful and it sounds like you had a perfect day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. If i were banished to an island and could only take ONE food with me, it would be Biscuits. I love them, and especailly these beautiful old southern type. YUM
    I love all things beaches and all thiings nature, so I amsure i would have loved the dunes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you had a good day. The biscuits look great. Always have been very frustrating for me, but now I am encouraged to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A day just to ourselves is just what the doctor ordered and your meal sounds like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you will love the Canon, good choice, Betsy and Phil both have one and several more of our blog friends have them, i have not 1 but 5 friends that have them. we are all Canon fan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look amazing!! I never have good luck making biscuits. It seems like they never rise like you have pictures. I may give it a shot again, since there is nothing more tasty than biscuits and honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a pretty good dinner to me! And those biscuits look mouthwatering. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so southern...I would rather eat biscuits than dessert! And buttermilk is the secret ingredient! So yummy! Love your beach photos, too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes simple meals made on the fly are the best.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a delicious meal. Your biscuits are beautiful! Glad you had fun at the beach- hope there's some cooler weather in sight for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You left poor hubby behind painting steps? Too funny! For someone who's too tired to cook, you sure put on quite a spread! I don't even cook this good when I'm trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scrambled eggs with those fresh veggies sounds delicious. Good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I must know how the ostrich tasted now!!! Their skins are supposed to make great leather, too! These were all behind a tall wire fence, so no fear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ginny: The ostrich tasted a bit like veal. The texture was more like liver. I have a friend who is a bookmaker and she uses ostrich "leather" for some of the covers. It's has a nice look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Any meal with biscuits is special! Glad you had a fun frolic with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I certainly wish there was a breeze coming this way. It has been a horribly hot Summer.

    Your biscuits are beautiful. I would easily eat a dozen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those biscuits do look southern! Glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Bonnie, I love a good biscuit! My aunt used to mix all ingredients on her kitchen counter, no mixing bowls, I was always amazed when she did that. She made the best biscuits ever.

    The store was probably Robinson's when you were here. It merged with May Co. and became Robinson Mays and eventually it was gobbled up by Blommingdales.

    Sounds like you enjoyed the Dunes!

    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds like you enjoyed a grat summer meal, and those biscuits look delicious..and I do love biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to read that your mini vacation somewhat re-energized you...I think I should soon be doing the same thing. Oh, how I wish my clients were not so exigent ;o) I am planning a grand vacation...so I ease my mind with that for now.

    Those biscuits look like perfection. Bonnie...I've never made them before...and you've inspired me to try your very simple recipe. Thanks ;o)

    Have a wonderful day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.